Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well, you have a mum and a dad from the years above who, during raisin week, cover you in foam, make you wear silly costumes and parade you round the town. don't think its really that bad, i think that they just make sure you get into student life etc as they were in your position before.

so jeffrey, what subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    at least you didn't blurt out that Alan Shearer was your God - that would have resulted in a fate worse than death
    i support *cough* Newcastle *cough*

lay off the legend

ReputationRep:
    Huzzah, nice win against Chelsea then Blondemoment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotman)
    We didn't poison the other half of the team, we were playing Wigan. Somehow the Tottenham players playing West Ham had food poisoning, but they didn't even field a weaker team for some strange reason.
    (We won it fair and square )

If you were asking me then yup i'm going for catered.

I'd think it would make a good rivalry Dalimyr. We both share a hate for Chelsea....
    oh i got confused had convo earlier with someone that u and tottenham were in a derby position assumed you were playing.doah

ReputationRep:
    ppl are trying to peel my newcastle shirts out of my clammy grip and turn me to liverpool. so far no good. i get told im a pants fan though as i have no time to watch the matches! [i own 3 yes 3 shirts, including a speacial faires cup one signed!! and yes i am a freak]

ReputationRep:
    I can tell next year at St Andrews will be fun in the pubs cheering on Arsenal. To Dalimyr here, are there a lot of Arsenal fans up there?

ReputationRep:
    gone for a couple of days, and look at what I've missed!

ReputationRep:
    well, you have a mum and a dad from the years above who, during raisin week, cover you in foam, make you wear silly costumes and parade you round the town
    You make it sound like it's a bad thing :rolleyes:
    We don't actually cover you in foam - we send you off to a foam fight with other first years...we get you really drunk the night before the foam fight

i support *cough* Newcastle *cough*

lay off the legend
    EVIL!!!!!

I can tell next year at St Andrews will be fun in the pubs cheering on Arsenal. To Dalimyr here, are there a lot of Arsenal fans up there?
    Yep...I can remember quite a bit of commotion in the union's main bar during the match against Villareal the other week (I was playing pool that night, being in the PoolSoc). People come from all over, so support all sorts of teams.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds awesome, looks like it's going to be a good atmosphere for supporting.

ReputationRep:
    OMG have just been reading all the past pages...........sounds amazing!!!!!!!!

Have put down catered..... am hoping for uni hall or sallies. 5/20 to pass??????? Are the exams incredibly hard then?

Will see you all in September! (OMG it's really soon!!!)

ReputationRep:
    a pass isn't really that great though.. you really need to aim for a first class which is 17/20 (I think).

and the 20 isn't a linear scale... it's confusing.

Blondemoment - the language courses are really intense. I did New Testament Greek this semester and have already learnt 80% of the vocab from the new testament and nearly ALL the grammar (including subjunctive, imperitive, present, future, imperfect, perfect, aorist, liquid future... etc etc) all in ONE semester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondemoment)
    well, you have a mum and a dad from the years above who, during raisin week, cover you in foam, make you wear silly costumes and parade you round the town. don't think its really that bad, i think that they just make sure you get into student life etc as they were in your position before.

so jeffrey, what subject?
    I am still doing AS. But my sister has an unconditional offer for Modern History and Economics. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    ....that's one thing I'm worried about. You see, in Canada, soccer (yes soccer, NOT football! :p: ) isn't a particularly popular sport. We're hockey people

Will I be left out in 9/10 discussions in St. Andrews because I don't follow soccer/football?

ReputationRep:
    no. I don't follow any sport and get along just fine.

not everyone is football mad.

ReputationRep:
    i'm in the same boat, birkstopher. i've just been around american football and baseball my whole life. i'm going to be so out of the loop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icecradle)
    a pass isn't really that great though.. you really need to aim for a first class which is 17/20 (I think).

and the 20 isn't a linear scale... it's confusing.

Blondemoment - the language courses are really intense. I did New Testament Greek this semester and have already learnt 80% of the vocab from the new testament and nearly ALL the grammar (including subjunctive, imperitive, present, future, imperfect, perfect, aorist, liquid future... etc etc) all in ONE semester.
    yep i have been warned about the difficulty and yet stupidly i'm considering arabic as my 3rd module. though someone told me that, athough there is a high drop out rate its only in the 1st 6 months. i like the sound of the liquid future??
    i'll manage [ha] just ppl be nice to me if i crumble occasionally!!

if you've taken a language, you are the person to ask--> am i going to turn into the recluse and have no time in my first months learning russian? what about a language i can already do [french?]?

Birkstopher and Mishy, FOOTBALL is ace and not that difficult, just pick a team and don't be a glory hunter and pick a team that is winning. And be ready to congratulate every englishman when you arrive as we will have one the world cup by then!

It is essential however that you like cricket!! [yeah everyone will disagree!!] now that is an english sport that you guys over the pond DO NOT understand. however actually i think Canada are in the minnows??

Jeffrey- i'm doing french and russian beginners! what are you planning to take??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birkstopher40)
    ....that's one thing I'm worried about. You see, in Canada, soccer (yes soccer, NOT football! :p: ) isn't a particularly popular sport. We're hockey people

Will I be left out in 9/10 discussions in St. Andrews because I don't follow soccer/football?
    That's not a real problem - you may well find some other Canadians around who you can talk with about hockey. I'd discuss it myself, but I'm only really interested in it as far as gambling is concerned :rolleyes: It's better than american football, though

i'll manage [ha] just ppl be nice to me if i crumble occasionally!!
    We're always nice...and if you do 'crumble', you're definitely not alone. Just remember to "Always look on the bright side of life"
    *is tempted to start watching Life of Brian*
    Actually, me telling someone to look on the bright side of life is rather ironic, considering how damn pessimistic I can be

Birkstopher and Mishy, FOOTBALL is ace and not that difficult, just pick a team and don't be a glory hunter and pick a team that is winning.
    It doesn't matter what team they pick. Loads of people are glory hunters (hell, I started supporting Man U and Rangers when they were both in their heyday around a decade ago). But as far as English teams are concerned, I have no strong allegiances (my support for Man U has wained ever since Malcolm Glazer became owner and bought out my one single share in the company...£3 for a share, when it cost my parents £30 to get it for me as a birthday present - ****ing ripoff) - I also have support for a handful of lower-league teams including: Shrewsbury, Rushden & Diamonds, Gravesend and Maidenhead

And be ready to congratulate every englishman when you arrive as we will have one the world cup by then!
    Fat ****ing chance :p:
    Christ, we hear the same bloody thing every two years: "England are going to win the [World Cup/European Championship]", and all the English commentators are completely biased towards England. One commentator from Euro '96 (where England lost to Germany on penalties) went on a Scottish football TV show to be interviewed. The host showed a clip of Gareth Southgate's (missed) penalty, with this person's commentary - after the miss the commentator said something along the lines of "Well you can only feel sadness for that there". The clip stopped, the host stared at the commentator, smiled and said "Were you only talking to the English fans with that comment? Because up here we were all cheering".
    Football has loads of fluke results. The likes of 2004 (Greece winning Euro '04) and 1966 will forever be remembered as such :p:

ReputationRep:
    i like the sound of the liquid future??
    it's really not as interesting as it sounds... just because the end consonant is a certain letter, the tense formative is slightly different. I think it might only happen in greek.

if you've taken a language, you are the person to ask--> am i going to turn into the recluse and have no time in my first months learning russian? what about a language i can already do [french?]?
    No... I tried to spend a couple of hours a day going through grammar and vocab, so I was learning around 10-15 words a day making sure I actually KNEW them, and going through the grammar. It's not really *that* difficult, but it is more time consuming than some other courses. You can do that sort of thing in your spare hours during the day and still have plenty of time free in the evenings for going out, going to the beach at 3 in the morning, staying in doing a film marathon. etc etc.

I hate cricket.

ReputationRep:
    I did New Testament Greek this semester and have already learnt 80% of the vocab from the new testament and nearly ALL the grammar (including subjunctive, imperitive, present, future, imperfect, perfect, aorist, liquid future... etc etc) all in ONE semester.
    you must love remembering all those forms :p: ... go third declension LOL

what passages are they using for translation?

ReputationRep:
    it's really not as interesting as it sounds... just because the end consonant is a certain letter, the tense formative is slightly different. I think it might only happen in greek.

No... I tried to spend a couple of hours a day going through grammar and vocab, so I was learning around 10-15 words a day making sure I actually KNEW them, and going through the grammar. It's not really *that* difficult, but it is more time consuming than some other courses. You can do that sort of thing in your spare hours during the day and still have plenty of time free in the evenings for going out, going to the beach at 3 in the morning, staying in doing a film marathon. etc etc.

I hate cricket.

i love it!!
    -oh there's me disappointed. languages have this brilliant way of deflating interesting sounding whatnots.

good i shant be a recluse then if its not that intrusive!

i find most of the people who hate cricket don't appreciate the beer consumption in warm climes for 5 days part of the equation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.