Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    45-50 minutes.

Yes, it's possible, you can just walk in a wee bit late if you must as people always do. Aren't Geog lectures at 11 in Chemistry though?
    Aw are they in the Chemistry building?

That would be good!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by alasdair1993)
    Aw are they in the Chemistry building?

That would be good!
    If they're the lectures at 11 then yeah.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by soulmailers)
    Thanks for fast reply, helps alot. By the way i heard that at the end of 2nd year? 3rd year? study, we can participate for the research works and get paid. Anyone knows about this?
    Yep, there's a university-wide program called URIP, and Physics and Maths run their own schemes.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students...c/internships/

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on how to go about deciding between Oxford and St Andrews for postgraduate studies? I know both are stellar and I never expected to be offered a place at both. I like SA's curriculum but the town is really small. Oxford is Oxford. And it is a bit intimidating. sigh. I just really want to make the right choice.:confused: Any insight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulmailers)
    Thanks for fast reply, helps alot. By the way i heard that at the end of 2nd year? 3rd year? study, we can participate for the research works and get paid. Anyone knows about this?
    You can probably do this at the end first year too (if you're doing physics/maths), it's really informal in those subject areas.

Other subjects will have to use URIP or whatever, it's a lot more formal/difficult. I do physics and basically anyone who wants to do research over summer can without a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying for accomodation, are there any place that you strongly recommend or I must avoid going?

ReputationRep:
    45-50 minutes.
    Oh, that's pretty short! Ours are like 90 minutes long. Does that mean you have lectures several times a week (I mean the "same" lecture with the same lecturer, so that they kind of split our lectures into two)?
    Okay, I hope this was understandable
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sappho)
    Oh, that's pretty short! Ours are like 90 minutes long. Does that mean you have lectures several times a week (I mean the "same" lecture with the same lecturer, so that they kind of split our lectures into two)?
    You get 3-5 lectures a week for each subject usually for 1st year modules if that's what you mean?...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sappho)
    For arts lectures you usually get 3 lectures and a tutorial a week.
    Sometimes a lectuere does a series of lectures on a certain topic. I don't know about classics but for ancient history, they basically have about 4 lecturers for each module and they just kind of rotate. and in Ancient History they tend to continue the topic over the 3 lectures, so for example, I had a week of lectures on the Punic Wars.
    For Latin and Greek, you'll have 4 classes a week (I'm not sure how they're divided up) but they are more one to one classes.
    Also for classical studies/ancient history it's only 6 tutorials over the course of the semester so some weeks you wont have a tutorial.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here staying at albany halls ? I am just wondering why is it so much cheaper than the rest of the halls ??
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    Is anyone here staying at albany halls ? I am just wondering why is it so much cheaper than the rest of the halls ??
    As it is standard and self-catered. Plus the houses were built in the early 70's.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything about scholarships...?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not actually a student at St As but I did the Sutton Trust Summer School last summer and it was really good. I'd really reccomend it to people in 5th year in Scotland as a lot of the people who did the SS got in because it allows you to establish a rapport with people in admissions etc. Plus it's only a week, so, unlike Ggow and Aberdeen you don't have to waste your whole summer at summer school

I haven't applied because I was advanced a year in school so I don't fancy a whole year at uni underage But I do plan on applying next year so fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'll be an Albanian next year- excited! Albany as well as old Fife Park are the only standard self-catered halls, which is why they're so much cheaper than the rest. That doesn't make them any worse though! Who WOULDN'T want to live right by the beach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Yep, I'll be an Albanian next year- excited! Albany as well as old Fife Park are the only standard self-catered halls, which is why they're so much cheaper than the rest. That doesn't make them any worse though! Who WOULDN'T want to live right by the beach
    I planing on applying for accomodation at somepoint next week and I really hope i get Albany halls !! how long did it take for you to hear back ?
    I so badly want to live right next to the beach !

ReputationRep:
    I planing on applying for accomodation at somepoint next week and I really hope i get Albany halls !! how long did it take for you to hear back ?
    Well I'm a returning student so we already have our accommodation offers In first year though... I remember hearing back ridiculously late. It was definitely into August. Good luck, hope you get into Albany! We should have more TSRers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    I didn't really get out of bed until quite late so perhaps I just missed the fog.
    I do enjoy when I have some free time and I just walk around town doing some window shopping in all the little shops.
    Hm. Well I've heard some halls are better that others. But most people will only try one so it's hard to compare. But I've heard Regs food is pretty bad. Hm Uni Hall. I'll try and sell it.
    It's a lovely size. There's loads of people but not too many. So you still get to know almost everyone.
    There's loads of hall spirit. We have songs and everything. We're pretty infamous for being the loudest at the tribal bop.
    Theres a lovely mix of old and new. lumsden is pretty new which means nice kitchens, nice bathrooms, really warm (the radiators in the old bits tend to be rubbish and the rooms are quite draughty), nice size etc. but I can still go and use the old common rooms or libraries in the older parts.
    The facilities are good. Theres two libraries, two common rooms (one with a grand piano), a table tennis room, a games room, tv room, a music room and a computer room with like 15 computers and a printer. Which is always useful for late night printing or if your laptop breaks.
    Theres also tennis courts and stuff outside that are for uni hall residents.
    It's also right beside the sports centre. Which is good if you're sporty and also great for exam time because loads of exams are held there.
    We have free vodka bars. which is great if you drink because you get free vodka. and even if you don't, it's really good fun (there are non alcoholic drinks) and theres always a silly theme which means you have loads of lovely afternoons making costumes.
    The food isn't bad for hall food. Theres loads of choice and I've never had a night were there has been nothing to eat.
    It's also right beside the north haugh. You said you're doing pyschology, right? that means it would be right beside your classes for that.
    It's nice and quiet as it's down a side street so there's no road noise or anything.
    Theres loads of grass and gardens surrounding it which is nice on a summers day. and means I have a nice view of trees, grass and usually some bunny rabbits.
    errrr. I don't know what else, anything else you would like to ask?
    Ah thank you! Helpful as always
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nadinelea)
    I'm not actually a student at St As but I did the Sutton Trust Summer School last summer and it was really good. I'd really reccomend it to people in 5th year in Scotland as a lot of the people who did the SS got in because it allows you to establish a rapport with people in admissions etc. Plus it's only a week, so, unlike Ggow and Aberdeen you don't have to waste your whole summer at summer school

I haven't applied because I was advanced a year in school so I don't fancy a whole year at uni underage But I do plan on applying next year so fingers crossed!
    Awesome - I went to that too, although the year before you

(Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    I'm confused, I take it you're doing a year abroad since your degree is 5 years - would you not be doing that next academic year? ie. between 2nd and 3rd year? Or have I totally miscalculated somthing

You have an unconditional, right? (or do you?..) If so, you should hear back in June, well that's when all/most of the unconditional people heard back last year.

ReputationRep:
    There's something I don't understand about SAAS... In the end, do I have to pay the money back or not? I mean, the tution fees they pay for me...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Awesome - I went to that too, although the year before you

I'm confused, I take it you're doing a year abroad since your degree is 5 years - would you not be doing that next academic year? ie. between 2nd and 3rd year? Or have I totally miscalculated somthing

You have an unconditional, right? (or do you?..) If so, you should hear back in June, well that's when all/most of the unconditional people heard back last year.
    Yet again. I saw you earlier. But it seemed like you ran away. Never a good sign when someone runs away from you :P haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.