Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayheyley)
    Right, I have a couple more questions:
    1. Can we join the local library? I.e. the town/county one rather than the university. If it makes any difference, I am a member of my local one in England.
    2. Do the halls have Sky tv? I must watch Glee!

Oh and if anybody knows the answer to the question I posted before, that would be awesome - does the university itself employ students for anything?
    1. There is a local library, in Church Square (is that its name? I haven't been in St Andrews since May) between Market and South Streets. I'm not sure if you can join but I don't see why not (or why you really would when you have free membership of the university one).

2. No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who.the.heck)
    Was the advance french class difficult? Like you I also did GCSE French but only got a B but it's such a brilliant language I'd love to try and advance in it!

[To be fair, my French teacher wasn't great...I don't want to be nasty because it wasn't her fault that half the class didn't want to learn French in the first place...but that's beside the point. ]
    It was a big step up from A-level, never mind GCSE, but after a few weeks you stop noticing the change in difficulty. Nevertheless, a lot of stuff requires plenty of vocab you learn at A-level, as well as an ability to read/understand French literature, so I personally would say I couldn't have done it straight out of GCSE (at which I got A*) never mind two years after. Don't let it put you off though, give it a crack and if you're prepared to work really hard at it then you can stick with it, failing that you can switch to another module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    It was a big step up from A-level, never mind GCSE, but after a few weeks you stop noticing the change in difficulty. Nevertheless, a lot of stuff requires plenty of vocab you learn at A-level, as well as an ability to read/understand French literature, so I personally would say I couldn't have done it straight out of GCSE (at which I got A*) never mind two years after. Don't let it put you off though, give it a crack and if you're prepared to work really hard at it then you can stick with it, failing that you can switch to another module.
    Haha, thanks, think I'll pass...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who.the.heck)
    Haha, thanks, think I'll pass...
    Come along to a few of the classes in the first couple of weeks! You can "try it out" and they do a diagnostic test to see how your language skill is.

ReputationRep:
    Is Orientation week in St Andrews the same as Freshers week? Also, I was just looking at that list of stuff that we need to do before we go - it doesn't look like we can do any of it until we get that letter/email with our student ID and everything, or can we?
    Thank you again.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lost on an Island)
    Is Orientation week in St Andrews the same as Freshers week? Also, I was just looking at that list of stuff that we need to do before we go - it doesn't look like we can do any of it until we get that letter/email with our student ID and everything, or can we?
    Thank you again.
    Yep Orientation week is freshers week.
    And no, you need your ID to do it all. but you will get it soon. Quite alot were sent out today so hopefully you'll get it this week sometime. You could read up on your modules so that you're reading to pick them when you get your ID.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers I will probably end up watching Glee on the internet then, I would just prefer to watch it on tv. The main reason I wanted to join the local library is to get fiction books because I assumed there would be more choice there than in the uni library but if everybody else manages with just the uni then I'm sure I can.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    1. I'm not even sure if there is a local library. What do you want to join it for? There will certainly be one in Dundee, a 20 minute bus ride away, if it's really important to you.
    3 years and you didn't even know there was a town library?

(Original post by LGF92)
    1. There is a local library, in Church Square (is that its name? I haven't been in St Andrews since May) between Market and South Streets. I'm not sure if you can join but I don't see why not (or why you really would when you have free membership of the university one).

2. No.
    Yeah, it's in Church Square

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    Come along to a few of the classes in the first couple of weeks! You can "try it out" and they do a diagnostic test to see how your language skill is.
    I'd like to but it'll probably turn out that I barely had the aptitude to learn English or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    3 years and you didn't even know there was a town library?
    I didn't know either... must be something to with physicists...

ReputationRep:
    Do the rooms in New Hall have a tv in them, along with the double bed, or are they only put in there during the vacations when the rooms are let out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)

2. No.

I can't see why you couldn't join? You're legally a resident of St Andrews (having the right to vote and everything!). I can't think of any privileges that the locals get that students don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    You can join easily enough, just like any other library, I did. Only used it a couple of times but after all, while the uni library has a lot going for it, it doesn't exactly have the best selection of fiction books!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again everyone for your answers to the library question. I thought it was going to be a really stupid question but maybe not!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Physics in September.
    I'm interested in the North American exchange programme which St Andrews have in place which would take place in my 3rd year of study.
    I have the grades to do direct level entry into 2nd year for physics so my question is would it be wise to do direct entry if I'm looking to apply for the North American exchange programme? Would they accept me on the programme if I went straight into 2nd year?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, just wanted to ask if anyone has done the InterDisciplinary modules Great Ideas 1 and/or 2. I need to choose modules now, and just was wondering if I could get any inside information on these modules. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again everyone for your answers to the library question. I thought it was going to be a really stupid question but maybe not!
    I think to use the Chruch Square (is that whats its called? Summer has been too long...) library you have to have proof of address. I don't know how this works in halls (do you know which halls you'll be in?) but I remember last year wanting to join but the bills for my house weren't in my name. Hurrah for being a homeowner next year! A way around this however might be to get a myfife card, I think you can get the application from town places like the East Sands Gym, then you get it signed and stamped by the ASC on North St and then you get a shiny card that makes you feel like a proper resident! I miss that little town!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)
    I think to use the Chruch Square (is that whats its called? Summer has been too long...) library you have to have proof of address. I don't know how this works in halls (do you know which halls you'll be in?) but I remember last year wanting to join but the bills for my house weren't in my name. Hurrah for being a homeowner next year! A way around this however might be to get a myfife card, I think you can get the application from town places like the East Sands Gym, then you get it signed and stamped by the ASC on North St and then you get a shiny card that makes you feel like a proper resident! I miss that little town!
    Ooh I never thought about proof of address! I have no idea which halls I'll be in yet but hopefully I'll be able to figure something out if I get desperate for books. Do you have to pay for a myfife card? If so then do you think the library would accept that uni ID card? (I think it's called a matriculation card but I'm not sure... I'm such a n00b )

ReputationRep:
    I have just seen the cost of the SAs red gown, someone on the FB group said they paid £120 for thiers and that at the sale the price is more like £89. The cost of going to uni is getting pretty expensive dispite my savings and I was wondering whether anyone knows somewhere from which i can get a gown for less?

Does anyone have one they dont need and would be willing to sell for less than £89?

Thanks for your help =)

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I never thought about proof of address! I have no idea which halls I'll be in yet but hopefully I'll be able to figure something out if I get desperate for books. Do you have to pay for a myfife card? If so then do you think the library would accept that uni ID card? (I think it's called a matriculation card but I'm not sure... I'm such a n00b )
    I joined the library a while ago, and didn't have a myfife card. I'm pretty sure that they took my matric card as ID, and don't think that I had any proof of address on me at the time...
    It was a while ago though, so apologies if that's wrong, but just pop in and ask

Oh wait, here's something:
    http://www.fife.gov.uk/topics/index....C-68E07CCAE64E

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.