The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

does anyone know how long each course session for mLITT FILM STUDIES is at st. andrews? do they meet more than once a week? just curious
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Just wondering, I cant seem to find the sports societies on the student union page. Is there a hiking/ambling/hill-walking/ trekking society? Thanks
Original post by KThackery
Just wondering, I cant seem to find the sports societies on the student union page. Is there a hiking/ambling/hill-walking/ trekking society? Thanks

I think there's a society that does hill walking and is called Breakaway.. or something :tongue:
Posted a bit prematurely, found it =)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ecosse_14
I think there's a society that does hill walking and is called Breakaway.. or something :tongue:

Ah just found it, thanks =)
Reply 6305
Original post by Lost on an Island
What's the story with the academic families? How do we get/meet them - are we assigned or what? I was reading an account of Raisin Weekend written by a student, and it looks like so much fun. :biggrin:

You'll have 3rd years asking you and you can ask 3rd years. The best way from what I've seen is getting parents in societies you end up being active in. I'd say wait till week 2/3 until you deicide on a parent. I got my mum from a show we were both doing and she turned out to be an awesome mum!
I was wondering whether anyone can tell me if it is worth getting a Golden Ticket to all the events in Freshers? I dont want to buy the ticket then feel obliged to go to everything even if I don't want to or feel pressured by the fact that I dished out on the ticket but I'm also concerned about how fast the tickets will run out and I'd like to be able to tag along if people I know are all going to a certain event. Hum... just wondering how quickly tickets sold out for each event last year, how many of the union events people went to and whether its worth the cost? Thanks for your help
Reply 6307
I was wondering whether anyone can tell me if it is worth getting a Golden Ticket to all the events in Freshers? I dont want to buy the ticket then feel obliged to go to everything even if I don't want to or feel pressured by the fact that I dished out on the ticket but I'm also concerned about how fast the tickets will run out and I'd like to be able to tag along if people I know are all going to a certain event. Hum... just wondering how quickly tickets sold out for each event last year, how many of the union events people went to and whether its worth the cost? Thanks for your help

Realistically, I'd say people will go to foam party, tribal, maybe rob da bank if that's your sort of thing, sinners sport, the bop and live music on sat if it's someone decent.

So if you go to all of those, you'll spend £40. You'll have hall things on some nights which will be cheaper. I bought all my tickets on the door last year. It's better to decide on the morning of the event if you're going and buy your tickets during the day because then you know you have it and have a very good chance of getting one. Going at 10.30pm, you have little to no chance of getting one. If comedy or hypnosis is your thing and you really want to go, you might as well buy the full ticket. I know some people who bought it last year and they sold the tickets they didn't use. I didn't go to all of the events last year but this years line up is def so much better.

tbh I did last year and I went to about half of the events so it was a fail for me lol. but tbf i was in my second year, so as a fresher I would advise you to not miss out on the fun. even uf you dont go to the events, rather have the chance to then feel left out :smile:
Reply 6309
Any St. Andrews Historians wishing to keep up to date with freshers events - make sure to like the faebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Andrews-History-Freshers-2011/231397996910576?sk=wall
Original post by Oh-WOW
Realistically, I'd say people will go to foam party, tribal, maybe rob da bank if that's your sort of thing, sinners sport, the bop and live music on sat if it's someone decent.

So if you go to all of those, you'll spend £40. You'll have hall things on some nights which will be cheaper. I bought all my tickets on the door last year. It's better to decide on the morning of the event if you're going and buy your tickets during the day because then you know you have it and have a very good chance of getting one. Going at 10.30pm, you have little to no chance of getting one. If comedy or hypnosis is your thing and you really want to go, you might as well buy the full ticket. I know some people who bought it last year and they sold the tickets they didn't use. I didn't go to all of the events last year but this years line up is def so much better.

Original post by jgatt1991
tbh I did last year and I went to about half of the events so it was a fail for me lol. but tbf i was in my second year, so as a fresher I would advise you to not miss out on the fun. even uf you dont go to the events, rather have the chance to then feel left out :smile:

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I'll just decide on the day, I doubt I will go to every event anyway simply because it will be too exhausting! Nice to know tickets wont all be gone before Freshers' Week even begins though =)
Reply 6311
Thanks for getting back to me. I think I'll just decide on the day, I doubt I will go to every event anyway simply because it will be too exhausting! Nice to know tickets wont all be gone before Freshers' Week even begins though =)

Yeh and there will be loads of stuff on in halls that might conflict and stuff on in the other pubs in St Andrews that your friends might want to go to instead.
Reply 6312
do I need to have toelf/ielts test done before sending my UCAS application? Or the university will ask for it while giving me condiotional offer?
Bit of a weird question, but just how comfy is the university bedding? I know that at £25 it's a pretty good deal in any case, however since autumn already looks to be so cold and rainy, I need to know if it's worth sacrificing my cushiony M&S 13.5 tog for...
Reply 6314
Original post by garbage
do I need to have toelf/ielts test done before sending my UCAS application? Or the university will ask for it while giving me condiotional offer?

It will be part of your conditional offer. However, if you take English at school, they might accept a certain grade on your leavers' certificate, so you might not have to take the test at all. Just ask them if it's not on the website. That's what I did, and it saved me about 180€!
Original post by alexss
Could somebody please tell me how we go on with internet access in rooms? How fast/slow, what the download limit is per month, whether I'll be able to use Skype relatively frequently etc. Thanks :redface:

You can usually saturate 100Mbit/s down & push 50-60Mbit/s up. There's no download limit at all, I downloaded multiple terabytes in a single week many times in my first year when I lived in halls.
Reply 6316
Original post by lost eden
You can usually saturate 100Mbit/s down & push 50-60Mbit/s up. There's no download limit at all, I downloaded multiple terabytes in a single week many times in my first year when I lived in halls.

Thanks for replying. :smile:
Reply 6317
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
Bit of a weird question, but just how comfy is the university bedding? I know that at £25 it's a pretty good deal in any case, however since autumn already looks to be so cold and rainy, I need to know if it's worth sacrificing my cushiony M&S 13.5 tog for...

this is the first year of selling bedding packs. Prior to this, bedding was included. It was fairly **** but we were getting it for free. I assume the stuff this year will be decent.
Original post by Oh-WOW
this is the first year of selling bedding packs. Prior to this, bedding was included. It was fairly **** but we were getting it for free. I assume the stuff this year will be decent.

I agree. I've lived in Melville, Albany and DRA and all the beds were pretty darn comfy tbh :smile: also it depends on what hall you live in- in Melville we got communal bedding, so like it got washed every two weeks but you didnt get the same bedding back you got a random, but clean one. pretty nifty, and its not as dirty as it sounds lol :smile:
Reply 6319
They aren't bad in my experience. But then again im as light as a fairy. If you're quite heavy, I can't imagine them being too comfortable (ex-housemate information).

Latest

Trending

Trending