Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebonyphoenix)
    (omitted paragraph of mocking me) And anyway who need rankings when it is common knowledge that St. Andrews is the coolest place in existence?
    My parents :rolleyes:
    (I have to sell some one who has never heard of the school and has no friends who have heard of it into paying for me to fly across the Atlantic whenever I need to come home. They aren’t to keen on my going and I need all the evidence I can muster to placate them. In fact only maybe 3 people I know have heard of it before and even then only in passing so while to you it might seem like a frivolous thing to ask or want to know because you have grown up knowing about it it is rather close minded of you to trash on me for trying to help you ease the mind of any one else in my position.)
    (ugh I feel like such an inurbane hillbilly now (puts on an a mid west accent) my friends aint got no knowing of fancy things like schools cross the ocean.)

But obviously it’s the coolest place ever
    But really … it is the coolest place ever I’m not kidding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MerryMilkMan)
    so while to you it might seem like a frivolous thing to ask or want to know because you have grown up knowing about it it is rather close minded of you to trash on me for trying to help you ease the mind of any one else in my position.)
    No one is mocking you or trashing you. Can't anyone make a point here without being accused of beind "close-minded" or "trashing" you?

If you really want to soothe the fears of your parents, don't rely on the rankings. Retrace your steps: Why did you chose St. Andrews as your firm? What moved you in applyng to St. Andrews? You should communicate those reasons to your parents.

If you don't mind me asking, why aren't your parents keen on you going to St. Andrews?

Here is the 2001 Research Assessment Exercise (Despite the date, this is the latest assessment. I believe the next assessment is 2006 or 2008).

http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/rae_dynami...s/openInst.asp

ReputationRep:
    My parents :rolleyes:
    ah the plot thickens, or thins which ever way you look at it. I thought it was some alteria motive or something, now i understand persuding parents......
    well, and i know i've said this before somewhere round here so sorry for repeating, but i honestly and cruedly went oxford [bridge], durham then st andrews when i chose my unis. thats how many traditionalists view it! and you parents sound like traditionalists. i'm sure this comment will bring on some bashing in my direction! but anyway! its may be the one you haven't heard much of as its tucked away in some distant scottish corner.

ugh I feel like such an inurbane hillbilly now
    hehe well st andrews is hardly urban!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    That dance machine is the spawn of Satan.....unless you've got a friend who is really, really drunk on it, in which case it's one of the funniest things you'll ever see
    I can't wait for that!

In regards to all the conversation above, St Andrews has a good international rep, whether it be due to good marketing or something else who knows. As you said yourself the guide doesn't rate it bad at all. It's always known as a good university over here academically. All these factors combine as well as the aesthetic of the university against others in the world (it's absolutly beautiful, have you visited it?). Otherwise why would it have such a large American contingent (15% I think)?

What other universities are you looking at MerryMilkman? Or where do your parents want you to go to out of the offers that you have?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I've been gone for a bit and missed alot! MerryMilkMan, my parents were deadset against St. Andrews as well, but they caved in the minute they saw it (and they saw how much I loved it). Is it possible for you all to visit St. Andrews? The only reason my parents even let me look at it was because they were hoping I would hate it, decide not to go to Scotland, and go to college close to home (they changed their minds once they saw it though!)

As for comparing St. Andrews to colleges in the US, I agree that it can't be done. I've looked at tons of US colleges- from New England to California- and it's pretty impossible to compare the two, as the systems are pretty different. Ie St. Andrews is more focused, has the module system, and has some different admissions factors (such as not as interested in extra curriculars, etc). St. Andrews is so beautiful though, and the whole relationship between the town and the university is something that I've never seen in the US. Plus, the history surrounding the university can not be matched over here.

Yay I'm so excited about going!!! Only a few months!! Yay!!!

ReputationRep:
    120 days in fact!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotman)
    I can't wait for that!

In regards to all the conversation above, St Andrews has a good international rep, whether it be due to good marketing or something else who knows. As you said yourself the guide doesn't rate it bad at all. It's always known as a good university over here academically. All these factors combine as well as the aesthetic of the university against others in the world (it's absolutly beautiful, have you visited it?). Otherwise why would it have such a large American contingent (15% I think)?

What other universities are you looking at MerryMilkman? Or where do your parents want you to go to out of the offers that you have?

None of the below post even attempts at a flow or any sort of grammatical sense so it may only make since in my head lol
    by the way thanks for the suport you guys

I got in to all the universities I applied to. (STOP HERE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT PERSONAL PROBLUMS because this is most likely going to be long and boring but you asked :p: lol) (Keep in mind while you are reading this that I wanted to go to St. Andrews from the beginning and most of the colleges I applied to were meant to force their hand on the subject yet still applied to the 6 university quota I was given and not make them suspicious as explained below) There are two sides to the issue on my dads side every one in my extended family has gone to Harvard (or Oxford in the case of my aunt and uncle who my rents don’t really talk to) but any way lol I didn’t apply to Harvard because I knew if I got in I would be stuck going there and I have heard they have a bad undergraduate program (I know some one who went and didn’t have a single real professor here entire degree). On the other side of things my mom wants me to go to a southern school because she thinks I am becoming too liberal. To get out of this I applied to only bad southern schools so my dad would prevent her from making me go (getting a scholarship to SMU didn’t help though)(would you believe it I under why do you want to come here on the Tulane app I wrote, “my parents” and they still accepted me). Then I picked two extremely liberal northern universities so that I didn’t have to worry about my parents being to keen to send me Wisconsin at Madison and Bolder and as a safety I that they could deal with I chose GW (were I am working this summer any way so I could use the argument that it would be redundant)

O.K. so now to why I wanted to go to St. Andrews so bad.
    From the beginning I reallllllly didn’t like the idea of going to school in the states partly because of their required courses and being an American I only speak american (well and some mexican but I really didn’t want to go to a mexican speaking university) so that left me with Canadian, Irish, English, and Australian Universities. I really didn’t like the idea of going to a huge school so Canada was out of the picture. Australia doesn’t have as good of schools as the U.K. and the better ones are big (or so I have heard) and Ireland … well I plan on getting duel cit their eventually so decided to get my degree else were. I am still not exactly sure what I want to do and I want to get a broad education so I couldn’t go to an English school. So I after going through all this I asked my college office what was the best university in Scotland and they said that the only university in Scotland they had ever heard of was Ediburough and even then it took some shuffling through papers to find a poster that was left by one of their representatives years ago. Realizing they weren’t going to be much help. I looked around on the internet and got the impression that St. Andrews was the best University in Scotland and from what I have read every one there loves it. I visited it with my dad and we both loved it and then convinced my mom that it was a bunch of rich conservative kids citing that the prince went there and all this talk about yas I have heard. Sooo all was good until my uncle found out that I was going to St. Andrews and told them that it wasn’t a good school (he got this notion because he had a friend who went there that was lazy and never did anything with his life … one bad apple ugh) he also managed to convince them that Wisconsin at Madison isn’t all that liberal and was a better school. So you can see were this is all going … no matter what I am still going to St. Andrews but it would be nice if my parents were as optimistic as I am about it.

By the way inurbane means unsophisticated (I know not a common word at it really does look like it is trying to say the opposite of urban and it makes since in that context if you took it to mean that.)

(Just in case it was lost on you that american mexican comment was a joke on the low percent of truly bilingual speakers in the U.S. as opposed to every other country in the world, along with U.S.’s self centered nature.)

ReputationRep:
    Considering what you have at the moment, well i'm not sure what the academic stature is in comparison to St Andrews (any one from the Usa able to compare academically). One of my friends didn't get into JH but went to GW and loved it there!

However university isn't just academics, and the way you put it there says exactly that. You are the person who is going to university, you are the person who will study there, and you are the person who is going to have a life there. I know with parental pressure it may be hard, but it's worth working past that part. Your parents may be unhappy initially, but i'm sure they'll love it after a while.

ReputationRep:
    MerryMilkman did you show your parents the Fiske Guide? I saw you talking about it earlier- it had alot of really nice things to say about St. Andrews, and made my parents like St. Andrews alot more! It tried to put St. Andrews in American terms, and while I don't really agree with that, it did make my parents alot happier about St. Andrews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotman)
    Considering what you have at the moment, well i'm not sure what the academic stature is in comparison to St Andrews (any one from the Usa able to compare academically). One of my friends didn't get into JH but went to GW and loved it there!

However university isn't just academics, and the way you put it there says exactly that. You are the person who is going to university, you are the person who will study there, and you are the person who is going to have a life there. I know with parental pressure it may be hard, but it's worth working past that part. Your parents may be unhappy initially, but i'm sure they'll love it after a while.
    Thanks I'll be on another continent that will help to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbm1087)
    MerryMilkman did you show your parents the Fiske Guide? I saw you talking about it earlier- it had alot of really nice things to say about St. Andrews, and made my parents like St. Andrews alot more! It tried to put St. Andrews in American terms, and while I don't really agree with that, it did make my parents alot happier about St. Andrews!
    Yuppers that was part of why they liked it up until my uncle thing :p:

However, they believe that the Fisk guide is biased, as do I. Not that I doubt its rating of Saint Andrews is accurate because it sounds so from what I have heard but that in 2006 the same year a famous (anonymous) college guide writers son starts attending St. Andrews all of a sudden schools out side the U.S. start getting ranked. Even more suspiciously Edinburgh, the only academic rival to St. Andrews, an obvious choice to be mentioned in the Scottish school system section is omitted.

(dramatic music ) DUUU du daaaa

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, it's Edinburgh.

I do hope you manage to convince your parents. Let us know how it works out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bdarnell)
    Hehe, it's Edinburgh.

I do hope you manage to convince your parents. Let us know how it works out.
    lol well I am going no matter what it just comes down to their approval

What degrees are you guys getting and what do you plan on doing with them after you gradute?

ReputationRep:
    Fine, it's time I went for a low blow, even though I loathe doing things like this...Prince William went to St Andrews. Now, a future king of the United Kingdom has gone to St Andrews, so is that enough to show off St Andrews' prestige?

ReputationRep:
    Who degrees are you guys getting?
    I'm a compski :rolleyes:
    I'm a current Computer Science student, in other words

ReputationRep:
    Fine, it's time I went for a low blow, even though I loathe doing things like this...Prince William went to St Andrews. Now, a future king of the United Kingdom has gone to St Andrews, so is that enough to show off St Andrews' prestige?
    He did? Really? How long ago?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a compski :rolleyes:
    I'm a current Computer Science student, in other words
    Fun stuff
    What do you plan on doing with it when you gradute?

ReputationRep:
    He did? Really? How long ago?
    He graduated last year, IIRC.

Fun stuff
    What do you plan on doing with it when you gradute?
    Games programming

ReputationRep:
    Games programming [/QUOTE]

Oh I heard rock star games has a programming place in Dundee (were they did grand theft auto)
    rather convenient as far as internships go

ReputationRep:
    R* North is based in Edinburgh now, not Dundee (though they were in Dundee while under the name DMA Design). I hear their offices look fantastic, though it's been ages since I was in Edinburgh, so I've never seen them.

In any case, I'd have to move to one of the cities to get a job in the business
    I'm a small town person - I don't like cities :bawling:

For the current students here, how are your exams going? Yippee for me, I finished mine yesterday...but I'm not sure whether I passed it

Hopefully this is a sign of luck - my 777th post

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.