Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St Andrews CompSci)
    I work in St Andrews but my mother is from Singapore so I am familiar with the journey. It takes about 90 minutes by bus/train to get to Edinburgh airport, and from there you can fly to Singapore via Frankfurt (my preferred option), Heathrow or Amsterdam. Edinburgh airport is quite small, but this has its advantages since you rarely have to wait long to pick up your bags or to get through immigration. Singapore Airlines also fly direct to Singapore from Manchester, but this involves a longer train journey from Leuchars (the closest train station to St Andrews).
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    The nearest airport is Dundee but it's not an international airport. Edinburgh airport is about an hour and thirty minutes away from St Andrews, by bus. Plenty of people do it and you usually have someone to travel with so it's not so bad.
    Thanks for your replies! The Edinburgh airport is international... right? Sorry I know almost nothing about the places in Scotland. But a 90 min bus/train ride from Edinburgh to St Andrews doesn't sound that bad. My friend was telling me it could be up to 5 hours, and that's dreadful considering I'd have to travel with luggages internationally. Do most international students travel using that route?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperstars123)
    Thanks for your replies! The Edinburgh airport is international... right?
    Yes. You can see a list of the destinations that you can fly to from Edinburgh here. There are no direct flights to Singapore, but as I said you can easily get to S'pore via Frankfurt, Amsterdam or Heathrow.

Do most international students travel using that route?
    Yes. At busy times such as the beginning and end of semester it is also possible to find students to share a taxi with, or there are sometimes special coaches for students to get to and from the airport.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for your replies! The Edinburgh airport is international... right? Sorry I know almost nothing about the places in Scotland. But a 90 min bus/train ride from Edinburgh to St Andrews doesn't sound that bad. My friend was telling me it could be up to 5 hours, and that's dreadful considering I'd have to travel with luggages internationally. Do most international students travel using that route?
    5 hours! you could get to London in that time!
    Yes. loads of people go that route! Edinburgh is international but it's a fairly small airport and you might have to fly to london and then somewhere else. I don't really know much as I've only ever got flights home to Ireland from there. but it's really not that bad. you get a bus from st andrews to the airport and you have to change once.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. loads of people go that route! Edinburgh is international but it's a fairly small airport and you might have to fly to london and then somewhere else. I don't really know much as I've only ever got flights home to Ireland from there. but it's really not that bad. you get a bus from st andrews to the airport and you have to change once.
    Haha okay, thanks a lot and it's good to hear! I'm almost certain in applying to St Andrews then, seems like a really nice place to me! Do you mind to share what activities do most people do there? and usually how long does one need to take to walk from the accommodation area to the campus? Also, feel free to suggest any interesting aspect in St Andrews that's not that common in other unis, if there's any.

ReputationRep:
    Or ride a bike to Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    and usually how long does one need to take to walk from the accommodation area to the campus?
    It depends where you stay, but as everything is integrated the maximum walking time anywhere would be around 30 minutes.

For example, if you stay in sallies you're literally 5 minutes away from shops, lecture theatres and the library. The science buildings are 15 minutes away.

ReputationRep:
    and usually how long does one need to take to walk from the accommodation area to the campus?
    (Original post by Magma828)
    It depends where you stay, but as everything is integrated the maximum walking time anywhere would be around 30 minutes.

For example, if you stay in sallies you're literally 5 minutes away from shops, lecture theatres and the library. The science buildings are 15 minutes away.
    Exactly. I live about as far off as you can possibly get in St Andrews, and it takes me about 25 minutes to walk into town. However, I have a bike now, and it's downhill, so it now takes only about five minutes, if even!

ReputationRep:
    There are a variety of routes from Edinburgh Intl to St Andrews:

1) Taxi. Several firms based in St A's offer taxi services to/from the airport with your luggage for about £65-70 return, based on two people sharing. It takes about...1.5-2 hours, depending on traffic and weather.

2) Trains. Get the bus from outside Edinburgh's main terminal to Waverley Station (£4 as I remember), from where you can get a train to Leuchars and a bus to St Andrews. Takes about 2.5-3 hours, with a cost of about £15-20 depending on how late you book your train. Provision for luggage on the airport bus and the trains are good, but Stagecoach might have a slight problem with you bringing huge suitcases on the Leuchars-St Andrews bus.

3) Buses. Bus to Waverley as above, walk to the bus station in St Andrew Square, get the X59/X60 to St A's, takes about three hours but shouldn't be more than £15.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks everyone who provided me with more info on the transportation methods to St Andrews from Edinburgh! I think the bus or train would be convenient - they're both quite safe right? Don't mean to sound offending or anything, it's just because I haven't been to Scotland at all.

I wouldn't have a bike there, so a short walking distance from the accommodation to the lecture departments is great.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks everyone who provided me with more info on the transportation methods to St Andrews from Edinburgh! I think the bus or train would be convenient - they're both quite safe right? Don't mean to sound offending or anything, it's just because I haven't been the Scotland at all.

I wouldn't have a bike there, so a short walking distance from the accommodation to the lecture departments is great.
    Both are perfectly safe the worst you're going to get is some young drunk lads getting on in Dunfermline (bus) or Kirkcaldy (train) and messing around.

ReputationRep:
    Also, there is a direct transport service from the airport to the uni at £20 pp - during the main arrival/departure weekends of the year. See here. Good Luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    Both are perfectly safe the worst you're going to get is some young drunk lads getting on in Dunfermline (bus) or Kirkcaldy (train) and messing around.
    Okay, thanks! Certainly don't hope to meet that many drunk people for my first time there (well of course that's if all goes well and I get accepted )

(Original post by kninja)
    Also, there is a direct transport service from the airport to the uni at £20 pp - during the main arrival/departure weekends of the year. See here. Good Luck with your aplication.
    Thanks a lot, that's really helpful! I think this is the most preferable transportation for me, seeing as I know absolutely nothing about the train stations and bus stations there.

ReputationRep:
    You are welcome!

ReputationRep:
    are tutorials important? would that be part of our GPA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulmailers)
    are tutorials important? would that be part of our GPA?
    Tutorials for different subjects vary greatly. Some tutorials are simply a chance for you to hide (read: sleep!) in the corner while your lecturer/tutor recaps what was said in the lecture. Other (read: most!) tutorials record attendance and require some sort of input from you. The amount of input can vary too. Some tutorials will ask every member to lead discussion, do a presentation etc. every week. Sometimes these are graded and form part of your module grade, and sometimes they are just for your understanding and aren't graded. Some tutorials might even ask you to prepare some work for submission prior to the tutorial and others might ask for nothing. The module guide should explain what you need to do.

ReputationRep:
    What´s the night life like at St Andrews?

Is there accessible transport for traveling into towns such as Edinburgh and Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    If both me and my friend were accepted, could we request a shared room together (not in a gay way :P)

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Evan7788)
    If both me and my friend were accepted, could we request a shared room together (not in a gay way :P)

Thanks
    When I applied, 2 years ago, you could and I'm pretty sure you still can

ReputationRep:
    When I applied, 2 years ago, you could and I'm pretty sure you still can
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd434)
    What´s the night life like at St Andrews?

Is there accessible transport for traveling into towns such as Edinburgh and Glasgow?
    Depends what you're looking for. If you like pubs, you're in for a treat. There's one "nightclub" (pub with a dance floor) called The Lizard, but it's awful (no-one in St Andrews is sure how it's still open). So most of the fun if you're staying in town is made through house parties and whatnot. However, some halls like the DRA run "club nights" where they go to Liquid in Dundee for about a fiver return, which is a good night out.

As for connections to other cities, Dundee has buses running to/fro til about 12.30am (£5.50 return) or you can get a taxi for about £20-25. Edinburgh is really too far away to be feasible - the last bus leaves St Andrews about 6ish and gets into Edinburgh at just after 9. Unless you have somewhere to spend the night there, in which case the £11.50 for the bus isn't too much to pay. Glasgow I've never tried, but you could get the bus to Leuchars (the nearest train station) and it's about £4 there on the bus and maybe a couple of hours to Glasgow on the train. Again, you're looking at staying the night there though, really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.