The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fn_101
Anyone know where I can advertise to sell a train ticket for reading week? ((if anyone here is interested, its down to London on 4th Nov, back up on the 9th to Leuchars.))

You could try the class of 2015 fb group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
hey there,
I am applying to St Andrews for an MLitt in Philosophy. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how big the program is/how many people apply, and if anyone has had any experiences with the Philosophy department in general?
Reply 6482
Philosophy can be described as a "science of thought". Its quite an interesting subject touching on logic , how to compose rational arguments as well as theories on existence and being. More information can be found here: Philosophy.
The Masters program lasts 1 annual year and is applied to by many from across the country (I have a friend from Aberdeenshire in her 3rd year). I have never been in the department its self but I can tell you what road it is geographically located on.

Hope this helps.
Reply 6483
Random questions but does anyone know where the lost property would be in the physics department? (:
Original post by do5
Philosophy can be described as a "science of thought". Its quite an interesting subject touching on logic , how to compose rational arguments as well as theories on existence and being. More information can be found here: Philosophy.
The Masters program lasts 1 annual year and is applied to by many from across the country (I have a friend from Aberdeenshire in her 3rd year). I have never been in the department its self but I can tell you what road it is geographically located on.

Hope this helps.

thanks, though i don't think i need more information on what philosophy is. i am pretty good on that side, considering that I've been studying it for the last three years :biggrin:
but thank you for your reply! and good luck to your friend from Aberdeenshire :wink:
Original post by Lulope
Random questions but does anyone know where the lost property would be in the physics department? (:

I *think* the janitors would have it, next to the guys toilets.
Is there a bus that goes to/near the doctor's? And how much does it cost?
Also if anybody happens to know what time the last bus back from Leuchars is on a Saturday then that would be wonderful.

I worked out how to read the timetable online :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
I have another question now too - as students here, are we on the electoral roll for St Andrews? I.e. do I need to come off the electoral roll back home (England)?
Yes, we are
Reply 6489
Original post by hayheyley
I have another question now too - as students here, are we on the electoral roll for St Andrews? I.e. do I need to come off the electoral roll back home (England)?

Yes you are. but you don't need to come off the electoral roll at home.
You can be on both but you aren't meant to vote in the same election twice.
eg. you can't vote at home in a general election and here
but you can vote twice in local govt elections as long as your addresses are not in the same local govt area.
Have a look at this page:
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_to_vote/students.aspx
Original post by Meteorshower
Yes, we are

Original post by Oh-WOW
Yes you are. but you don't need to come off the electoral roll at home.
You can be on both but you aren't meant to vote in the same election twice.
eg. you can't vote at home in a general election and here
but you can vote twice in local govt elections as long as your addresses are not in the same local govt area.
Have a look at this page:
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_to_vote/students.aspx

Thanks to both of you :smile:
Reply 6491
I am looking to apply for Msc in Inernational Strategy and Economics.
What's the reputation of this course ? What are the job prospects like ?
Am from India and not many people have heard about this course here as its not availiable in many universities.
I found this course to be very intresting. I was initially thinking of applying for Fin+Economics at other places but was told its very difficult and requires a lot of mathematics (I did not have many mathematics modules at undergrad level). Not that I want to do something that's too easy, I realize that at Postgrad level all finance and economics related courses will involve a lot of mathematics, and am more than ready to do them.
Just want to know how the coruse is percieved by fellow students and prospective employers. Thanks.
I heard that St Andrews has good connections with many US universities and there're student exchange programs available. I'm wondering is there a big portion of students who transfer to the US for a year of study? For undergraduate level specifically. If so, what are the common requirements?
Reply 6493
Original post by paperstars123
I heard that St Andrews has good connections with many US universities and there're student exchange programs available. I'm wondering is there a big portion of students who transfer to the US for a year of study? For undergraduate level specifically. If so, what are the common requirements?

You can find the information here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/studyabroad/outgoingstudents/
Is it true that Scottish and international students are favoured over English ones when it comes to admissions? :frown:
Original post by Kallistrate
Is it true that Scottish and international students are favoured over English ones when it comes to admissions? :frown:

There is no quota for international non-EU students and so we are able to make a larger number of offers to these students. But Scottish students are not favoured over English students (or vice versa).
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
There is no quota for international non-EU students and so we are able to make a larger number of offers to these students. But Scottish students are not favoured over English students (or vice versa).

Yay, thanks! :smile:
Original post by lost eden
I originally posted this transcript in the LiveJournal community for the University of st Andrews, & was recommended to seek the help of people on these forums.

##########

I am a first year student reading Computer Science at UWA, & I believe that a brief account of recent history may be required to 'set the scene' as it were;

Back in my first year of 6th form, I applied to read CompSci at St Andrews, & receieved an offer. However over the course of the next year or so, the feelings that I had already been having that a Science subject 'wasn't for me' grew until I had essentially lost all interest in the subjects that I was studying at A level, & I made other plans to take a BTEC diploma in A&D Photography for 2 years at a local college, & then apply for a BA Photography university course in due time, instead of continuing on to read CompSci at BSc level. As my mind was so made up, I (rather stupidly) abandoned my A levels, as I knew that none of them would come in useful at all on an Arts course. As a result of this, August 17th provided me with a 'less-than-marvellous' spread of grades.

However to throw a spanner into the works, my father grew ill, & the plan of me staying at home & taking Photography locally became rather un-desirable. But of course I could no longer go to St Andrews because of my poor A level results. So here I find myself at Aberystwyth. I'm not saying that it's a mediocre University in a mediocre town full of dull drunkards for students (well alright, yes I am) but pursuing CompSci as I am, I would much rather for it to have been at a University that I actually want to be at.

I thought that I would ask here amongst other students, before crafting a masterful formal letter to send to the University to officially convey my query, so my question is this;

Does the University of St. Andrews consider accepting students from other Universities into the second or subsequent year(s) of study on the basis of their performance & accomplishments in their time at their present university, & not disregard them because of poor performance in previous cases? For example, if I theoretically achieved a 1st in this my first year of CompSci at UWA, would that (along with further correspondance, interviews, etc. to establish more of my desirable qualities other than obvious accademic virtues) be proof enough that I am a student of sufficient calibre to become a merit to the University? I fear that a prestigious institution such as the University of St Andrews bases it's induction solely on traditional academic entrance requirements & as such does not have the time or resources to investigate an application from a student who did not follow the 'normal' approach of application, least of all one who had his chance & 'blew it'.

Thankyou in advance.

I realise this is a very old post and an old thread but I've found myself in a very similar situation and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to say when getting in touch with people at St Andrews?
Reply 6498
Hi, just a quick question- are non St Andrews students allowed to attend the end of year balls (or just balls in general)? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 6499
Original post by alexss
Hi, just a quick question- are non St Andrews students allowed to attend the end of year balls (or just balls in general)? Thanks. :smile:

As far as know yes. One of my friends brought his girlfriend to the ball, and it was no problem at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending