Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is the beach ...usable? For walks or (I know it's a long shot) swimming at (very) particular times of year? Just how bad is the weather? Any worse than northwestern England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankaret)
    Is the beach ...usable? For walks or (I know it's a long shot) swimming at (very) particular times of year? Just how bad is the weather? Any worse than northwestern England?
    I swam in it in September The beach is actually wonderful for walks, too

I don't know about English weather, but it's not too bad at all. Today was lovely sunshine, and so was yesterday and the day before (just some rain at night, but what else could you possibly want). I think it's rather mild because it's on the coast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    I swam in it in September The beach is actually wonderful for walks, too

I don't know about English weather, but it's not too bad at all. Today was lovely sunshine, and so was yesterday and the day before (just some rain at night, but what else could you possibly want). I think it's rather mild because it's on the coast.
    Ahh, how lovely! I would so love to live near the sea, are any of the halls close enough to see/hear it? lol Also, (sorry if this is a horribly inappropriate question but it does have a a perfectly appropriate basis, promise lol) I was really hoping for a large international student population. Is it true that there are a lot of international students at St. Andrews? Nearly half?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, how lovely! I would so love to live near the sea, are any of the halls close enough to see/hear it? lol Also, (sorry if this is a horribly inappropriate question but it does have a a perfectly appropriate basis, promise lol) I was really hoping for a large international student population. Is it true that there are a lot of international students at St. Andrews? Nearly half?
    About 40%, yes I'm one of them

Yes, a few halls are indeed, check out this map: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/maps/ind...20residence%27

ReputationRep:
    About 40%, yes I'm one of them

Yes, a few halls are indeed, check out this map: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/maps/ind...20residence%27
    How wonderful! Thanks for the link, fingers crossed for a place now
    Oooh, I couldn't help remembering that I saw in another post that you're a classicist? I've applied for classical studies and wondered if you could shed some light on the department? I haven't visited. Is it very active? Do you ever do classical theatre? Is the choice of modules good/broad? Is it a nice environment in which to work? Pretty spires, cold stone and Latin? lol Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    How wonderful! Thanks for the link, fingers crossed for a place now
    Oooh, I couldn't help remembering that I saw in another post that you're a classicist? I've applied for classical studies and wondered if you could shed some light on the department? I haven't visited. Is it very active? Do you ever do classical theatre? Is the choice of modules good/broad? Is it a nice environment in which to work? Pretty spires, cold stone and Latin? lol Thanks for your help
    I shall get back to you with a nice account on this, but right now essay deadlines are pressing. PM me if I forget

ReputationRep:
    I shall get back to you with a nice account on this, but right now essay deadlines are pressing. PM me if I forget
    Ok Thanks, again, for your help!

ReputationRep:
    whats the best department at st andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinohellenic)
    whats the best department at st andrews?

in what respect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magma828)

in what respect?
    best academic reputation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electric-wars)
    How difficult is it to get to Glasgow fairly regularly for gigs, and do many people do it?
    I'm imagining that there isn't too much of an LGBT scene there, am I right? How active is the society?

Thanks in advance!
    £6 bus to glasgow with your student card. takes just under 2 and a half hours and its hourly. its great!

ReputationRep:
    sorry to ask a more trivial question but... does it snow a lot up there? I'm a bit of a sucker for white christmasses but it's near the coast so I thought it might be a bit more temperate. What's the average weather? (compared to... say, London, because I currently live in the south) thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but not that I know of. Usually all UK/EU applications are dealt with after the deadline. But you know, that has its advantages. Every time I need patience now, I tell myself 'Well, I went through the UCAS process, so I can deal with this easily'...

Seriously
    I would disagree with this, I got my unconditional offer at the start of December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katbro20)
    I would disagree with this, I got my unconditional offer at the start of December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katbro20)
    Oh really, that's very interesting, I've never heard of this happening. Did you do Highers then?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know more about the weather in St. Andrews too. What are roughly the lowest and highest temperatures? And is it mostly cloudy there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperstars123)
    I'd like to know more about the weather in St. Andrews too. What are roughly the lowest and highest temperatures? And is it mostly cloudy there?
    so far sept-nov hasnt really been noticably any colder than south of england, but i expect the winter to be big. it rains a lot (not always that heavily, just rains every few days lightly) and it can be quite windy occassionally but its not like antarctica or anything like that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    sorry to ask a more trivial question but... does it snow a lot up there? I'm a bit of a sucker for white christmasses but it's near the coast so I thought it might be a bit more temperate. What's the average weather? (compared to... say, London, because I currently live in the south) thanks!
    I don't think we ever get much snow, but last year it was very cold and icy!

ReputationRep:
    Is it sunny very often? I'm not a big fan of the sun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Is it sunny very often? I'm not a big fan of the sun!
    In my experience it is often sunny but rarely warm.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.