The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Really so then I guess I would do physics, psychology and biology... but when I looked at the school of biology, neuroscience modules they didnt show psychology for the first year, or at least first semester. thnks though :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by eL. Amador
Really so then I guess I would do physics, psychology and biology... but when I looked at the school of biology, neuroscience modules they didnt show psychology for the first year, or at least first semester. thnks though :smile:

It does show you have to take both the 1st and 2nd year psychology modules for a neuroscience degree. See here.
Oh Ok, thanks :smile:... I had gone to another place... btw is it hard to get into st andrews, i mean what are they looking for in a student?
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yeah, you have a good chance. You meet the entry requirements so why wouldn't you be considered? St Andrews does place a lot of emphasis on the personal statement I believe, yeah.

Thanks. I suppose you're right; it's just that, having only just met the requirements, there's got to be a lot of people who are ahead of me before they even look at the personal statement and so on. You're right, though, and the more emphasis they put on the personal statement the better, so that's very good news. Thanks :-)

...what are they looking for in a student?

Seconded!
How's the student community like in St Andrews? The area seems to have a great population of middle-class students (partly reflected from the expensive international fees). I'm afraid I would not fit in easily IF I get an offer.
Reply 6565
Original post by paperstars123
How's the student community like in St Andrews? The area seems to have a great population of middle-class students (partly reflected from the expensive international fees). I'm afraid I would not fit in easily IF I get an offer.

Don't worry about the fees. They only reflect the university and education, not the student population. I suppose there may be quite a few "middle class", but there is also a lot of other people, it's all really very mixed. And then you have everyone who comes from different places, and that makes them different as well.
St Andrews is a great place for students, because it's so small... so you're gonna see familiar faces all the time and it's quick to make friends here, including for me, so i reckon you'd be fine. :smile: Just be prepared to work. :tongue:
what health provisions are there for students? is it just the uni health centre? or are there GPs/health centres/counsellors in the town? :smile:
Original post by maxcartwright
what health provisions are there for students? is it just the uni health centre? or are there GPs/health centres/counsellors in the town? :smile:

There isn't a "uni" health centre. At matriculation, you'll normally get registered with one of 3 of GP Practices, which are all located at the Community Hospital (no A&E department). Hope that helps!
Reply 6568
After how long did you receive your offer after applying?
Reply 6569
Original post by magdreb

Through UCAS you won't be getting any offers until after the UCAS deadline, as they like to consider everyone who applies equally. And then it varies with subject after that. But generally, you will hear by the end of February, but probably before.

It's a long wait.... but it was worth it. :smile:
Original post by magdreb

st andrews are notorious for taking their time. i got my offer in like mid february
Reply 6571
Original post by probablytom
Just a quickie to put me in a little peace of mind. I've wanted to head to St. Andrews for quite some time but I'm worried my grades aren't enough; AAABB. I'm applying for Maths, and again for Maths & Theoretical Physics, and I just scrape the requirement for the former and am just under it for the latter. I'm really enthusiastic, though, and I have a fair amount of extracurricular which I've condensed as much as I can into my personal statement, which I'm told is pretty dang good, as is my reference. (Again, so I'm told.)

So for those who were accepted, what are your grades like, and the grades of people you know? Reckon I have a chance? My subjects were all relevant; Maths, Computing, English at A and Physics and Chemistry at B. I'm doing Advanced Higher Maths, Physics & Chemistry at the moment. (I'm in Scotland, so my grades are 'Highers', and the minimum for Maths is AAAB.) Hoping I have enough, and that a significant weight of the application process is given to the personal statement and reference...what do you think?

I got in with AAAAB for Maths. My friend got rejected with AAABB! (all 1st sitting) so its pretty competitive. However, if your personal statement is strong then you always have a good chance!
Original post by ubun7
I got in with AAAAB for Maths. My friend got rejected with AAABB! (all 1st sitting) so its pretty competitive. However, if your personal statement is strong then you always have a good chance!

Okay, that's interesting! Thanks. A little nerveracking to know that your friend was rejected with AAABB, but then each applicant is different I suppose. Right? I guess grades aren't everything but that's a good insight into how good the rest of my application has to be.
Thanks for the help :-)
how does housing work at st andrews?
Original post by sinohellenic

It doesn't
Reply 6575
Original post by sinohellenic

You will need to apply before May 31st to get guaranteed accommodation. But you can only order your preference of type of accommodation. i.e. Ensuite Catered, Ensuite Self Catered, Normal Catered etc. And then they do their best to match you up. But through this process you need to be prepared that you might not get what you want. But by the time you find out where you're living, there is a chance (depending on what sort of entrant student you are, international, UK etc) you won't find out until September where you're living, so it's hard to find other accommodation in town.

But crucial thing, you MUST apply before May 31st to get guaranteed accommodation.
Reply 6576
Okay, so I've got an interview in a couple of weeks. I'm getting the train to Leuchars and I know I need to get a bus but can someone explain how I get to the medical school. I'm gonna end up getting lost seeing as I don't even know when to get off of the bloody bus.
Reply 6577
Original post by Braddd
Okay, so I've got an interview in a couple of weeks. I'm getting the train to Leuchars and I know I need to get a bus but can someone explain how I get to the medical school. I'm gonna end up getting lost seeing as I don't even know when to get off of the bloody bus.

get off the bus........... in st andrews.

the medical building is about 3 minutes from the bus station.
Reply 6578
Original post by Square
get off the bus........... in st andrews.

the medical building is about 3 minutes from the bus station.

Well I didn't know there was a bus station. It was maybe more convenient to get off at a different stop.

Anyway, thanks.
Original post by Braddd

Congrats on getting an interview :smile: When you get to Leuchars you can look at the screens on the platform to see when the next bus to St Andrews is and wait in the bus shelter for it. Like Square said, it's easiest to get off at the bus station in St Andrews. If you walk downhill from the bus station and go through the car park you should be able to see the medical building. I assume you know what it looks like? If not then there are photos here. Good luck for your interview!

Latest

Trending

Trending