Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    I don't think they have a problem with that. I was an EU applicant, and so they never saw any pre-sixth form grades for me, and school lasts a year longer in my country, they didn't mind. Good luck with your application!
    (Original post by Helsy)
    I think Sappho is right. They generally don't think "Oh dear, this person only got C in her Maths GCSE etc, we won't let her in". They may sometimes compare with some else for a place, but they are more common to compare personal statements. The only reason why they usually ask for GCSEs is just so they can see what your general academic record is like. So as long as either you've always been good, or have improved with A-levels etc then you're fine (if you've done worse, THAT might be a concern... )

But the year older thing won't be a problem. They won't care, there's a good chance they wouldn't notice when looking at applications. Scottish Unis have a range of ages because of the Scottish education system, so you wont' be strange.

I'm sure it'll be good news when you hear! St Andrews is great, but remember, so will any place you go in the end. As long as you like where you, that's important.

But St A's is obviously the best place....

Thank you both so much, this has made me feel a million times better.

I did a foreign equivalent of GCSE's when I wasn't anywhere near fluent in the language so did terribly (and I do mean terribly, just about scraped passes in most things with few high grades) but I got AAAAB at AS and am predicted A*A*A*A, and my references are decent so I am just praying that they consider me, I would be happy if they even looked at my application.

I really really do believe that St A's is by far the best place! Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    I have a couple of questions..
    first, accommodation; in which years does st andrews provide accommodation/ is university-owned accommodation available? and what is it like, is there quite a range of quality?
    secondly, how many additional courses (as well as the one you entered for) can you take in your first year? do they have to be in your faculty (e.g. humanities)?
    And thirdly, does your major have to be the subject you entered for, or can you change it and graduate with a different degree if you change your mind?
    thanks!
    1) You can apply for university accommodation every year. From what I've been told anyway. But you're only guaranteed accommodation for 1st year, and only if you apply for it before May 31st.

2) It really depends on how many modules you need to take for your actually degree. But the extra modules can be from anywhere within the University. As long as it doesn't clash with any other lectures, you can choose anything.

3) You can change your degree, but you can only do that up until the end of 2nd/3rd year, not 100% sure which on it is. But generally, you ought to stick to roughly the same area, as a complete change (i.e. History to Theoretical Physics) is difficult and you have to prove a genuine reason why you want to swap.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magma828)
    Wow, the school of physics is serious business.
    Yeah. But I think the first one is just a warning. But do it again and it's a proper alert.

So yeah, you're best off doing to work... but in Physics you need to at least turn up to the tutorials and workshops.

Or be me and turn up to every single little thing.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Helsy)
    3) You can change your degree, but you can only do that up until the end of 2nd/3rd year, not 100% sure which on it is.
    By the end of 2nd year it is. By the end of 3rd year you're already halfway through your honours modules so it's too late to change.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if the library facilities are good enough for student needs? (doing French-Spanish-Italian).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    1) You can apply for university accommodation every year. From what I've been told anyway. But you're only guaranteed accommodation for 1st year, and only if you apply for it before May 31st.

2) It really depends on how many modules you need to take for your actually degree. But the extra modules can be from anywhere within the University. As long as it doesn't clash with any other lectures, you can choose anything.

3) You can change your degree, but you can only do that up until the end of 2nd/3rd year, not 100% sure which on it is. But generally, you ought to stick to roughly the same area, as a complete change (i.e. History to Theoretical Physics) is difficult and you have to prove a genuine reason why you want to swap.

Hope that helps.
    great, thanks! I'd probably want to change from ancient history to history, so I shouldn't imagine that should be much of a problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    By the end of 2nd year it is. By the end of 3rd year you're already halfway through your honours modules so it's too late to change.
    That's what I thought but I had end of year 3 in my head for some reason. That might be switching from Bachelors to Masters....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    Yeah. But I think the first one is just a warning. But do it again and it's a proper alert.

So yeah, you're best off doing to work... but in Physics you need to at least turn up to the tutorials and workshops.

Or be me and turn up to every single little thing.
    Things change in honours :p:

ReputationRep:
    New to TSR and i have a few questions about St Andrews and the courses.
    I guess i know the response im hoping for and im just looking for reassurance, i got AAAAA in highers : English, Maths, Human Biology, Physics and Chemistry and im now predicted AAAA in adv phyics, maths and chem and higher computing (bit optimistic tbh, but cant argue with the teachers)
    just wondered what people thoughts were on the Applied Quant. Finance course run jointly by Maths and Econ departments, as ive applied for that - can you get an unconditional for it?
    And, anyone applying for joint Maths and Econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Things change in honours :p:
    Good!

Or are you trying to say they get even worse...?

ReputationRep:
    What do students typically do during the weekends at St. Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    Good!

Or are you trying to say they get even worse...?
    There's basically not a million things a week that you have to go to in order to tick some box somewhere.

If I told you things get harder otherwise, would you really be that surprised :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubun7)
    I got in with AAAAB for Maths. My friend got rejected with AAABB! (all 1st sitting) so its pretty competitive. However, if your personal statement is strong then you always have a good chance!
    Was that a conditional offer or an unconditional out of curiosity? I've applied for Maths and have 5 A's at higher. I've heard that they still reject some people who have 5 A's . This true?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to St Andrews but am still slghtly confused by the Scottish system. If I have a Scottish MA, ist that equivalent to Bachelors or Masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Was that a conditional offer or an unconditional out of curiosity? I've applied for Maths and have 5 A's at higher. I've heard that they still reject some people who have 5 A's . This true?
    There's not much they can do when more people apply than they have places except rejecting people. Also, if someone with 'worse' grades (which are still within the entry requirements) submits a better application, why shouldn't they consider that person instead of the one with better grades?

ReputationRep:
    There's not much they can do when more people apply than they have places except rejecting people. Also, if someone with 'worse' grades (which are still within the entry requirements) submits a better application, why shouldn't they consider that person instead of the one with better grades?
    I guess that's very true. I'm just hoping the rest of my application is good enough then! Thanks for the reply =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    I guess that's very true. I'm just hoping the rest of my application is good enough then! Thanks for the reply =)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorinnaH)
    I've applied to St Andrews but am still slghtly confused by the Scottish system. If I have a Scottish MA, ist that equivalent to Bachelors or Masters?
    The MA (Honours) is equivalent to the BA elsewhere in the UK and Europe.

ReputationRep:
    The MA (Honours) is equivalent to the BA elsewhere in the UK and Europe.
    Thanks! That's what I thought. But why does it take a year longer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorinnaH)
    Thanks! That's what I thought. But why does it take a year longer?
    Because you study things in more depth and more broadly. Remember than in your first two years you get the chance to study three subjects, that you can even change during these years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.