The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helsy
Are you a current applicant? Or are you applying in September??
At the moment (based on my little knowledge of SQA) that you're doing great with good grades and predicted good grades. And if you do get accepted on the Sutton Trust Summer School, then that will be great on an application.
If you are currently waiting for an offer, they will probably not know about your Sutton Trust application and so it'll have little effect on your current position. But with what you have and are predicted, I'd say you stand a chance.

What subject are you/have you applied for??

well, i haven't applied for any unis yet, and i'm still waiting for a response from the Sutton Trust, which they have said will arrive in April. Now that you mention it, i don't actually know when to apply :s-smilie: for Astrophysics/Astronomy they want AAAAB minimum at higher (with an A in maths and physics), but they haven't specified anything about advanced highers, which i am picking this week and will be starting in June :eek: i think advanced highers are only actually useful for 2nd-level entry whereby you basically skip your first year, or so i'm told.. so yeah... when SHOULD i apply?? :confused:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 6861
Original post by Oxy
Can someone find you a bus timetable? Pull your finger out your arse mate.

Says the car-owner. Of course you don't have to rely on others. Blessed be your luxury :rolleyes:
Reply 6862
Original post by jelly_belle
well, i haven't applied for any unis yet, and i'm still waiting for a response from the Sutton Trust, which they have said will arrive in April. Now that you mention it, i don't actually know when to apply :s-smilie: for Astrophysics/Astronomy they want AAAAB minimum at higher (with an A in maths and physics), but they haven't specified anything about advanced highers, which i am picking this week and will be starting in June :eek: i think advanced highers are only actually useful for 2nd-level entry whereby you basically skip your first year, or so i'm told.. so yeah... when SHOULD i apply?? :confused:

I think the deadline will be January, but some people apply in early october (but I think this is just if you are doing medicine/dentistry, or are applying to oxford and cambridge
Sallies D Block:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH- is there ANY chance that someone, somewhere out there can tell me what D block is? I am soo confused! I know it is like a seperate building and the old servants quarters, etc but where is it and what does it look like? Im a Third Year atm, just been allocated my room for next year and I tried to find d block with my other future d blockers today and we had no luck, just got really confused.
Sallies has a confusing layout :frown:
But I will forgive it because its so darn pretty :smile:
Reply 6864
Original post by jelly_belle

You can start applying from about July for 2014 entry, with the deadline being mid January, so you have plenty of time until then to decide.
I think when you apply really depends on what you feel. I know quite a few people who have come in from Advanced Highers (I did 2nd year entry too because I have my A-levels), so that is a good route. And if you look on the department's website, it says what they'd like you to have with Advanced Highers.

[INDENT]"The typical asking rates for entry to level two are AAA at Advanced Higher or A level, or Advanced Higher at AA in physics and mathematics along with Highers at AA in two other subjects (these Highers could have been done the previous year)"[/INDENT]

Personally, I think there's no harm in applying with your Highers, but that if you don't get offers or you change your mind, you can reapply with your Advanced Highers. :smile:
I hope that helps. :smile: Any more questions about Astro in particular or 2nd year entry I'm happy to answer. :smile:
1. How small are tutorial classes generally?
2. For the first year in which you take 3 subjects, can the 3rd subject be from a different faculty? (I'm thinking of whether it's possible to take up Economics, Biology/Psychology and English and I've got an offer for BSc Econ).
3. Do most students there drink? I'm aware that alcohol is prevalent in Scotland in general, but is it less so in St Andrews since it's a smaller town?
4. The only not-so-decent thing I heard about St Andrews is its library. How big of an issue is this to you?

Thanks.
Reply 6866
To all the people who currently attend St.Andrews,

Just need a word of info/advice, I have an offer from St.Andrews to study Chemistry at undergraduate level and I'm keen on attending this September. However I also really love acting and theatre and I'm pretty sure St.Andrews isn't a liberal-arts-style program kinda thing so its a single degree you get at the end- how is the theatre group there? And how are the shows and how serious do people take theatre?
If I could I'd take a double major but that's only possible in liberal arts colleges...like one I've had an acceptance from in New York. St.Andrews is still my first choice though and I just need a word of advice about what the theatre/drama community is like over there? Just so I don't turn up in St.Andrews and get dubbed as the retard Jim Carrey of the campus.

Thank you!
Reply 6867
Original post by aerobti
To all the people who currently attend St.Andrews,

Just need a word of info/advice, I have an offer from St.Andrews to study Chemistry at undergraduate level and I'm keen on attending this September. However I also really love acting and theatre and I'm pretty sure St.Andrews isn't a liberal-arts-style program kinda thing so its a single degree you get at the end- how is the theatre group there? And how are the shows and how serious do people take theatre?
If I could I'd take a double major but that's only possible in liberal arts colleges...like one I've had an acceptance from in New York. St.Andrews is still my first choice though and I just need a word of advice about what the theatre/drama community is like over there? Just so I don't turn up in St.Andrews and get dubbed as the retard Jim Carrey of the campus.

Thank you!

Though I do no theatre stuff or anything, I do know that there are several groups and that there are constantly productions being performed all the time. So if you want to do lots of theatre, there is plenty for you to get involved with. You can join specific groups during Fresher's Week and you can just watch out for the open auditions they have all the time. :smile: You might not get a qualification for it, but you can certainly have it as a major aspect on a CV.
Hope that helps...:smile:
Reply 6868
Original post by paperstars123
1. How small are tutorial classes generally?
2. For the first year in which you take 3 subjects, can the 3rd subject be from a different faculty? (I'm thinking of whether it's possible to take up Economics, Biology/Psychology and English and I've got an offer for BSc Econ).
3. Do most students there drink? I'm aware that alcohol is prevalent in Scotland in general, but is it less so in St Andrews since it's a smaller town?
4. The only not-so-decent thing I heard about St Andrews is its library. How big of an issue is this to you?

1. Depends on subject, but I guess mostly about 10 people. In Ancient History we are currently 8.
2. You have to stay within one Faculty but Arts also offers Economics, Psychology and English (not Biology though). I think as long as you fulfil the Faculty requirements you can change Faculty once you arrive. Though double-check with the website/prospectus/admissions.
3. I don't and some friends don't, many others do, and some get very wasted very often. It just depends on what you want to do.
4. I'm doing Classics and I've been finding it quite okay, even quite good often. It depends on the subject and on how specific the things you're looking for are.

Hope that gives you a taste.
Original post by paperstars123

Original post by Sappho

2. You have to stay within one Faculty but Arts also offers Economics, Psychology and English (not Biology though). I think as long as you fulfil the Faculty requirements you can change Faculty once you arrive. Though double-check with the website/prospectus/admissions.

I was under the impression (and always have been) that in your 1st year you can take modules outwith your faculty, so even if you were in the faculty of science you could still do economics, bio/psych and English, even though English is only in the arts faculty. I also think it's really difficult to change your FACULTY, as everything you do is based around your faculty basically (ie. your adviser will be only for those in the science faculty) :dontknow:
Reply 6870
Original post by Ecosse_14
I was under the impression (and always have been) that in your 1st year you can take modules outwith your faculty, so even if you were in the faculty of science you could still do economics, bio/psych and English, even though English is only in the arts faculty. I also think it's really difficult to change your FACULTY, as everything you do is based around your faculty basically (ie. your adviser will be only for those in the science faculty) :dontknow:

I think you're right. For 1st years you can take any additional modules anywhere in the university, as long as there are no lecture classes. And that if you want to change your actually course within a faculty or the university is harder.

That's what was explained to me anyway... :s-smilie:

So wait, can you not take modules from another faculty in 2nd year? That ruins my plan...
Reply 6872
Hm. Would it be possible to change from single honours to joint honours? I was looking into it, but couldn't find any answer.
Original post by Helsy
I think you're right. For 1st years you can take any additional modules anywhere in the university, as long as there are no lecture classes. And that if you want to change your actually course within a faculty or the university is harder.

That's what was explained to me anyway... :s-smilie:

Original post by Sappho
1. Depends on subject, but I guess mostly about 10 people. In Ancient History we are currently 8.
3. I don't and some friends don't, many others do, and some get very wasted very often. It just depends on what you want to do.
4. I'm doing Classics and I've been finding it quite okay, even quite good often. It depends on the subject and on how specific the things you're looking for are.

Hope that gives you a taste.

Ah alright, thanks a lot for all the information. :smile: I might be taking English as a third subject just for more academic balance, but I doubt I'd choose it as my degree/major in the end, so I'm fine staying in the Science faculty.
Reply 6874
Original post by perlsh
Hm. Would it be possible to change from single honours to joint honours? I was looking into it, but couldn't find any answer.

Yes. Its actually pretty easy depending on what you're studying.
This can be done by your adviser as soon as you arrive in September, but you may be asked to wait until January before wanting to change your degree entirely.
Could a current Mathematics student help me?

I've applied and have an unconditional offer for BSc Mathematics. I was wondering how flexible it is to switch between the BSc and MMath? The other universities I've applied to it's pretty easy to switch between the two or you don't need to decide until 2nd year. I've looked around on the St. Andrews website and it doesn't really say anything about it.
Reply 6876
Original post by laughylolly
Could a current Mathematics student help me?

I've applied and have an unconditional offer for BSc Mathematics. I was wondering how flexible it is to switch between the BSc and MMath? The other universities I've applied to it's pretty easy to switch between the two or you don't need to decide until 2nd year. I've looked around on the St. Andrews website and it doesn't really say anything about it.

I'm not doing the degree, but it's the same faculty though...
It's really easy to swap between the two. You don't even have to formally decide which one you do until about 2nd/3rd year because all modules are the same, but after that you need to decide which path. :smile:
Original post by Helsy
It's really easy to swap between the two. You don't even have to formally decide which one you do until about 2nd/3rd year because all modules are the same, but after that you need to decide which path. :smile:

Thank you for your reply! That really helps =) I'm currently trying to choose my insurance so...
Reply 6878
Original post by Helsy

Are you sure you don't have to decide earlier? I thought my academic sister told me that she is doing three Maths modules now because she's doing the MMath, and she's in her first year.

Original post by laughylolly
Thank you for your reply! That really helps =) I'm currently trying to choose my insurance so...
Original post by George179
Hi, i'm interested in applying for philosophy or social anthropology at St. Andrews but have a few questions.
My gcses are good, all a but lack the a* for the oxbridges etc. Does this matter much when applying here?
In terms of personal statement which is very important, what sort of things are they looking for in it?
Any responses would be kindly appreciated, thanks :smile:

This is not the first time I've posted this since receiving and offer (mol biol) :smile: But I applied with 1 A*, 3 Bs and remaining As. I'm expected AAB at A level. They base it a lot on PS. Your other response was hardly enthusiastic, they were wrong - if you want to go to St A and can demonstrate enthsiasm and capability to do well in one of their courses then you will be considered, and stand a good chance of an offer. Go for it!

Latest

Trending

Trending