Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a conditional offer and I got my results yesterday.
    I'd like to send them now, but I don' know how to do it. It wasn't written in my offer letter. Should I post them or mail the scanned document to the admissions office?
    And do I also need to notarize the translation of the document?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nedyalkova)
    I have a conditional offer and I got my results yesterday.
    I'd like to send them now, but I don' know how to do it. It wasn't written in my offer letter. Should I post them or mail the scanned document to the admissions office?
    And do I also need to notarize the translation of the document?
    Thanks in advance!
    I mailed my scanned documents to the admissions office and didn't even get it translated and it seemed to be alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henriksebastian)
    - Where can I buy the bed-clothing stuff (duvet and such)? I read they can be bought online and then they're delivered to the room, but I couldn't find the place.

- This one might be important for many people: the INTERNET. So torrenting and videocalling and online games are forbidden. Ok. I won't care about the online gaming, I'll try to study, but is it possible to bypass this? I mean Skyping home once every two weeks would be nice (I guess this is so people get involved and aren't constantly doing it), and torrenting is just essential. In Peru everybody buys pirate, so I'm used to only buying original CDs that I absolutely love (films -never lol). Is there a punishment for torrenting? I don't want to get bored without films or music!
    Just to add a couple of things to what Oh-WOW said:

- I bought a bedding pack for the start of this year which I think cost £25 and included a duvet, pillow, sheet, duvet cover and pillow case (a mattress protector is automatically provided by the university). I can't remember where it was from but I'm pretty sure they sent us a link. I really wouldn't recommend it though - after just a couple of washes my sheet went bobbly and very baggy, and the duvet/pillow covers aren't great but are usable. The duvet is very thin so you'd need a blanket as well. I really don't think it's worth what I paid. There is an Argos in town which has a good selection of bedding and maybe Morrisons might sell some too?

- The uni library has a decent selection of DVDs if you want films and you can also log in to bobnational.net with your university account and watch free films/tv there

(Original post by Charlaux)
    Hi,
    I want to aplly next year to the University of Saint Andrews.If I would be accepted to the college,that would be my first choice.I'll be applying from Turkey and here are my questions;

1)MA Psychology-Is it easy to get in or harder comparing to the scientific one ? And do you have any idea about this subject like the comments of your friends etc :rolleyes:

2)Whats the opinion of students to Turkish people ? I am not a person who lives his religion,I am just like a typical person.

5)And my last question,do you have any friends that accepted with average grades (3,5 out of 5) but who did ec activities ?

Thanks for answering:rolleyes:
    Hi, I can't answer all your questions but hopefully this will help a bit.

1. The Psychology MA and BSc are exactly the same course - the only difference is the options available to you for other classes during your first two years. It won't make any difference to admissions.

2. I haven't come across any particular opinion towards Turkish people here. Students are students and it doesn't really matter what nationality.

5. Academic grades are far more important than extra-curricular activities. There's a little information here about how St Andrews select students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelic_Suzette)
    Hi, I'm looking at accomodation (late I know :P) and I was wondering what do people do with their stuff in the Christmas holidays, as catered accomodation doesn't include that in its contract?- Do they get them stored and if so where? And how much hassel is it? Thank you
    I'm in Andrew Melville Hall and we were allowed to leave things in our room over the Christmas break (but not over the summer). I assume it's the same for all catered halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Computer costs? In my 3 years at St Andrews I've spent approximately £0 on computers. (Well, maybe £20 a year for printing if that's included). Even in second year, when my laptop broke at Christmas, I just spent all day on the library computers and got my laptop fixed in Summer when my mum would pay for it ^^
    Yeah, I don't know where they pulled that from lol. It probably includes a brand-new laptop for university, 2 repairs and so on... I would just wait for a holiday too, it's way too expensive to repair over there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for answering my question, the accomodation section of the St A's website said that certain contracts didn't extend to over the Christmas break, hmmm a little more investigation is in order. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayheyley)
    Just to add a couple of things to what Oh-WOW said:

- I bought a bedding pack for the start of this year which I think cost £25 and included a duvet, pillow, sheet, duvet cover and pillow case (a mattress protector is automatically provided by the university). I can't remember where it was from but I'm pretty sure they sent us a link. I really wouldn't recommend it though - after just a couple of washes my sheet went bobbly and very baggy, and the duvet/pillow covers aren't great but are usable. The duvet is very thin so you'd need a blanket as well. I really don't think it's worth what I paid. There is an Argos in town which has a good selection of bedding and maybe Morrisons might sell some too?

- The uni library has a decent selection of DVDs if you want films and you can also log in to bobnational.net with your university account and watch free films/tv there

Hi, I can't answer all your questions but hopefully this will help a bit.

1. The Psychology MA and BSc are exactly the same course - the only difference is the options available to you for other classes during your first two years. It won't make any difference to admissions.

2. I haven't come across any particular opinion towards Turkish people here. Students are students and it doesn't really matter what nationality.

5. Academic grades are far more important than extra-curricular activities. There's a little information here about how St Andrews select students.
    Thank you I hope that my grades would be sufficent;
    From what I hear,the counselor they told me that from Turkey in 2006,someone was accepted with 3,90/5.Since that system is not in use anymore (we use 100 as total grade)My total grade will be about 67ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evan7788)
    Oh dear, what have i got myself into. :facepalm:
    Exactly my thoughts.

One other question, is image a big thing in St Andrews? Seems like there is some emphasis on looking good .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Matador)
    Exactly my thoughts.

One other question, is image a big thing in St Andrews? Seems like there is some emphasis on looking good .
    I never bothered, just wore hoodies and jeans most of the time.
    Then again, maybe astro people aren't always going to be the most trendiest of people.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    I never bothered, just wore hoodies and jeans most of the time.
    Then again, maybe astro people aren't always going to be the most trendiest of people.....
    That's good to know . As a fellow physicist I am happy with the hoody and jeans look.

By the by, do you know if the Quantum or Chaos Soc's are any good?

ReputationRep:
    That's good to know . As a fellow physicist I am happy with the hoody and jeans look.

By the by, do you know if the Quantum or Chaos Soc's are any good?
    Chaos Soc is changing to SUMS (I think it mean St Andrews Uni Maths Society or something, because some people didn't understand the chaos bit of the name )but yeah, this last year chaos have been really good. Events every couple weeks, and tons of interesting lectures. Ditto Quantum, I just didn't got to many because I had long mornings and by the time they happened I want my lunch. (You can eat at them, I just didn't have anything to eat with me).

I'm hoping to have a bigger role in AstroSoc next year, didn't do much this year because I was always knackered by the time it was observing nights.

And there is always DocSoc.... the Doctor Who society....!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    Chaos Soc is changing to SUMS (I think it mean St Andrews Uni Maths Society or something, because some people didn't understand the chaos bit of the name )but yeah, this last year chaos have been really good. Events every couple weeks, and tons of interesting lectures. Ditto Quantum, I just didn't got to many because I had long mornings and by the time they happened I want my lunch. (You can eat at them, I just didn't have anything to eat with me).

I'm hoping to have a bigger role in AstroSoc next year, didn't do much this year because I was always knackered by the time it was observing nights.

And there is always DocSoc.... the Doctor Who society....!
    So is chaos soc mathematics or just pure chaos theory? Cos I like chaos but maths is irrelevant to me in a sense...

Well, those lectures sound good actually . Good to know stuff like that happens.

But I don't like Doctor Who though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So is chaos soc mathematics or just pure chaos theory? Cos I like chaos but maths is irrelevant to me in a sense...

Well, those lectures sound good actually . Good to know stuff like that happens.

But I don't like Doctor Who though :rolleyes:
    Nah, Chaos is just the Maths society, but they won't hold that against you at all. There were a mixed group, not just mathematicians.
    And maths won't be irrelevant to you, you will have to do at least 2 modules in the maths department. Sorry.

How can you not like Doctor Who?! Oh dear....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    Nah, Chaos is just the Maths society, but they won't hold that against you at all. There were a mixed group, not just mathematicians.
    And maths won't be irrelevant to you, you will have to do at least 2 modules in the maths department. Sorry.

How can you not like Doctor Who?! Oh dear....
    I mean irrelevant in the sense of interests. While I find maths interesting and I know how much it ties with physics it's not something I think I would enjoy as an extra-curricular activity. I'll check it out anyhow...

Well, I never watched it. And then I sort of outgrew it...

ReputationRep:
    I mean irrelevant in the sense of interests. While I find maths interesting and I know how much it ties with physics it's not something I think I would enjoy as an extra-curricular activity. I'll check it out anyhow...

Well, I never watched it. And then I sort of outgrew it...
    Fair enough. Though they don't really do maths-y type things together, rather just a group of generally like minded people. I don't think anyone did a "what's you favourite number?" for instance.

And you can't outgrow Doctor Who, it follows you foreverrrr....!
    Aw well...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Angelic_Suzette)
    Hi, I'm looking at accomodation (late I know :P) and I was wondering what do people do with their stuff in the Christmas holidays, as catered accomodation doesn't include that in its contract?- Do they get them stored and if so where? And how much hassel is it? Thank you
    You are allowed to leave your stuff in your room during the holidays, you just aren't allowed to live there.
    The only time you may have to get storage is during the summer months. There are alot of storage companies who advertise in the run up to the summer months. Usually they cost about £1 per box per week. You book a time with them, they come and deliver empty boxes to your halls, you put your stuff into them and they come and pick them up. then they deliver them to your new address in september. So it's actually quite simple when you do have to store things in the summer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hi!
    THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.

That's great news. I got the figure of 90 pounts by dividing a number given by the university, which is perhaps a legal requirements for international students (have to be able to cover costs of living).

They say it's 3,330 pounds a year in living costs (apart from catered). What I did was take the 50%, which makes around 1,600 pounds for the start of the year. If you're right, that'd be enough for the whole year, which means I can include my "extra costs" (fresher's costs... furniture so on) in there, I guess, so it will last half a year. Right?

However, maybe that'll just make a bare minimum to start with, because the uni also has costs for books and computer equipment.... 2000 pounds a year!! I thought that's just ridiculous, if I bring my own laptop and just work the system. I'm great working the system, I've lived in Latin America for years!! LOL. My mom even suggested bribing the librarians..... she was serious! (Yeah, she doesn't get it, but gives you an idea!).

Oh and there was like 2,500 dollars for travel, but I guess that's for international flights so I'll just ignore it. But what do I do with the computer costs?!? 50% of them makes 1,000 pounds to a great total of 2,600 pounds to start the year with. Maybe I should consider them as an emergency fund or something?

As you can probably infere, I'm not a son of a Peruvian Mining Magnate lol, but rather a Finn who's been living here for long, so money, at least for the first year, IS an issue for me
    I feel like those estimates are very high. I certainly don't live on anywhere near that. I'm not sure what computer costs are. I would say I've spent very little in my 2 whole years on computing costs never mind £1000 a year! especially if you are bringing your own laptop. If you're sensible and budget, you can easily live cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    C'mon! As Helsy's reply shows, it's really up to you. It'd be sad to follow all the trends just to fit in... just follow your own fashion sense.

I believe accessories are really important, such as a decent watch and sunglasses. No, not anything ostentatious, but e.g. a Guess watch and Ray Ban sunglasses. I've found my watch and sunglasses to be excellent investments, because you only buy ONE and it's supposed to last for YEARS... if you have a higher budget, then I recommend a good laptop too. Since it's something useful, especially for uni, it'll pay off in a few years!

Maybe the same logic can go for a jacket. I'll probably buy one of those jackets if I like a specific model, and then cherish it for a few years -since it rains, it'll likely be useful.

So let's not "keep up with the (superficial, ostentatious, wannabe "trendy") Joneses"! But it's still pretty useful to have a few good accessories to look "neat".
    Seriously? I'm not sure if you're ironic or serious.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you will have to buy a Barbour jacket to fit in. We have the highest density of Barbour jackets anywhere in the world! (Jack Wills too!).

If you're lucky, you might even see a 'Barbour Brigade', of about 8-10 people wearing the exact same looking jacket. Sad really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    You are allowed to leave your stuff in your room during the holidays, you just aren't allowed to live there.
    The only time you may have to get storage is during the summer months. There are alot of storage companies who advertise in the run up to the summer months. Usually they cost about £1 per box per week. You book a time with them, they come and deliver empty boxes to your halls, you put your stuff into them and they come and pick them up. then they deliver them to your new address in september. So it's actually quite simple when you do have to store things in the summer.
    Thank you soooo much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.