Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    Cheers. If ever you decide to not hate me any more, I'd still like to make you a :pizza: over in Fife Park.

Ooo... now I like you again. And since I'll be in DRA it should be easier.
    (Assuming the astrophysics doesn't kill me of course...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    Ooo... now I like you again. And since I'll be in DRA it should be easier.
    (Assuming the astrophysics doesn't kill me of course...)
    Oh DRA, really! That sounds like we might actually manage to see each other more often. I like it

ReputationRep:
    I'd still like to make you a :pizza: over in Fife Park.

Not so subtly inviting myself over too in that case :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perlsh)
    Not so subtly inviting myself over too in that case :P
    Haha, no problem Have you heard from your accomodation yet?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no problem Have you heard from your accomodation yet?
    Yep Melville!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I now have an unconditional offer on UCAS and I'm waiting for something in the post that everyone says I'm meant to get. I haven't heard from accommodation yet since getting my unconditional, and I was wondering whether anyone knows when I can expect to hear from them? They said they would contact me at this point in an automated response to my application a couple months back. Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by alisonroxx9)
    Hi, I now have an unconditional offer on UCAS and I'm waiting for something in the post that everyone says I'm meant to get. I haven't heard from accommodation yet since getting my unconditional, and I was wondering whether anyone knows when I can expect to hear from them? They said they would contact me at this point in an automated response to my application a couple months back. Thanks!
    You could still be waiting up to a month or so to hear back from accommodation, especially if you've just been made unconditional recently. Hopefully within a few weeks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    You could still be waiting up to a month or so to hear back from accommodation, especially if you've just been made unconditional recently. Hopefully within a few weeks though
    Ah, good to know I shouldn't hold my breath. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has been asked before but - what's the weather like? I mean, I expect it would be pretty rubbish because it's in Scotland, but is this actually true? Is it rainy a lot or just cold? And does it snow? What about wind?
    I'm thinking of applying and I live in Australia, although I lived in England for 8 years. I just want to be prepared because it will probably be a massive change to the weather here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sezzasays)
    Sorry if this has been asked before but - what's the weather like? I mean, I expect it would be pretty rubbish because it's in Scotland, but is this actually true? Is it rainy a lot or just cold? And does it snow? What about wind?
    I'm thinking of applying and I live in Australia, although I lived in England for 8 years. I just want to be prepared because it will probably be a massive change to the weather here.
    very rarely snows, if it does it doesn't hang around for long - however it's only about an hour and a half from the slopes where it snows lots and there is a reasonable ski season.

To be honest it's not really that cold and not really that hot, there can be hot days, there can be cold days but nothing too extreme generally. Can get very windy in winter since it's on the coast but it's coastal position stops it from getting really really cold

ReputationRep:
    One last question, sorry! I'm choosing my modules for biochemistry, the biology page said I was free to pick my extra modules from other subjects, but I was wondering if from your experiences you think it's a good or bad idea to pick something completely unrelated to your major? I've now picked two bio and two chem modules, thinking about a film studies one that looks really interesting to me. Even if I didn't take this class, I have no idea where I else I would pick my last 40 credits from! What did you do in your first year?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by alisonroxx9)
    One last question, sorry! I'm choosing my modules for biochemistry, the biology page said I was free to pick my extra modules from other subjects, but I was wondering if from your experiences you think it's a good or bad idea to pick something completely unrelated to your major? I've now picked two bio and two chem modules, thinking about a film studies one that looks really interesting to me. Even if I didn't take this class, I have no idea where I else I would pick my last 40 credits from! What did you do in your first year?
    Loads of people do modules unrelated to their degree subject (actually, most probably do). You're free to pick up most subjects as long as you fulfil any pre-reqs the module has.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people do modules unrelated to their degree subject (actually, most probably do). You're free to pick up most subjects as long as you fulfil any pre-reqs the module has.
    Ok, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I am going to get started on my personal statement over the summer & I heard St Andrews don't usually do interviews so alot of emphasis is your personal statement. Are there any particular areas I need to focus on more, e.g. experience & references, learning outside the classroom, hobbies etc? What is a good selling point in your personal statement?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Hi everyone,
    I am going to get started on my personal statement over the summer & I heard St Andrews don't usually do interviews so alot of emphasis is your personal statement. Are there any particular areas I need to focus on more, e.g. experience & references, learning outside the classroom, hobbies etc? What is a good selling point in your personal statement?
    Get across your genuine interest in studying the subject you're applying for academically. What are you going to apply for? Discuss why you're interested in it, any particular aspects you're interested in and why, etc. You can and should if possible discuss any relevant work experience or extra reading you've done on the subject. Hobbies and positions you've held at school (school captain or whatever) aren't really important at all.

ReputationRep:
    Get across your genuine interest in studying the subject you're applying for academically. What are you going to apply for? Discuss why you're interested in it, any particular aspects you're interested in and why, etc. You can and should if possible discuss any relevant work experience or extra reading you've done on the subject. Hobbies and positions you've held at school (school captain or whatever) aren't really important at all.
    Thank-you. It's good to know that hobbies and positions held at school aren't that important because I don't have many! I am hoping to study zoology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Thank-you. It's good to know that hobbies and positions held at school aren't that important because I don't have many! I am hoping to study zoology...
    I swear that someone either from Oxbridge or St Andrews (and I'm leaning to it being someone from St A's) told me to always mention the things that I liked to do and that felt personal, like hobbies. Mostly because it showed that you had interests outside of the subject which can give some indication of a someone's personality. I mean, don't go on about how you love to garden and all your favourite plants... but mentioning that you like to spend time doing something I always think is worth a line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helsy)
    I swear that someone either from Oxbridge or St Andrews (and I'm leaning to it being someone from St A's) told me to always mention the things that I liked to do and that felt personal, like hobbies. Mostly because it showed that you had interests outside of the subject which can give some indication of a someone's personality. I mean, don't go on about how you love to garden and all your favourite plants... but mentioning that you like to spend time doing something I always think is worth a line.
    Oh, I'll bear that in mind then, thank-you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Helsy)
    A tiny section on your extra currics (such as hobbies) is fine, although it probably should relate to your interest in the subject or how it makes you a good candidate for the university/course for it to work well.

ReputationRep:
    I am a PhD student starting in September and I have some questions about accommodation.

1. The uni has offered me accommodation in a house at Fife park. They seem to be quite far away and a bit small considering they apparently house 6 people. Has anybody stayed in these? What are they like on the inside? How big are the rooms? What furniture do you have in the rooms? Did you like living there?

2. I am also trying to find flatshares. This is proving difficult. I check the sinner everyday, but there is not much and what there is seems to be super expensive for what you're getting. Any advice?

3. Cupar seems to be a lot cheaper than St Andrews to live in. According to gumtree I could live alone in a refurnished 3 bedroom cottage for the same price as a typical room in StA. It has regular bus links, but would I miss out on the experience of studying at StA if I don't live in town?

Cheers,
    Jim

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.