Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Do many people at St Andrews have desktops? I have an Imac and it's not very old and functioning properly so I would rather take that than buy a laptop.

Also, what are the kitchens like at the catered halls? Do many people eat out on the nights that aren't catered or do they cook?
    Not many. I know some CS students/gamers prefer to have them - but it's really up to you. I think the only real advantage of a laptop is being able to take it to study in the library/wherever. (there are PC clusters in the library, but they are nearly always extremely busy)

Kitchens are fairly basic: oven, stovetop, microwave, kettle, toaster, sink, fridge, freezer. Again it depends, some people go out to eat, some people stay in to cook. Bear in mind though that kitchens don't get cleaned on weekends, so by Sunday night they can be quite messy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p.anamarija)
    Are there any events that you must go to with a dresscode like that?

And whats the average cost of a gown? Is it hard to find one?

I can't think of any obligatory events that have that dress code - but as Helsy says, if you're thinking about going to balls etc, the dress code is compulsory.

A gown, when I started (3 years ago) was £135 new (I think). If you want to try and get a secondhand one, go to the Gown Sale first thing on the Monday morning of Freshers' Week because they sell out quick. Again, gowns are not compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much Youve been a great deal of help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    Not many. I know some CS students/gamers prefer to have them - but it's really up to you. I think the only real advantage of a laptop is being able to take it to study in the library/wherever. (there are PC clusters in the library, but they are nearly always extremely busy)

Kitchens are fairly basic: oven, stovetop, microwave, kettle, toaster, sink, fridge, freezer. Again it depends, some people go out to eat, some people stay in to cook. Bear in mind though that kitchens don't get cleaned on weekends, so by Sunday night they can be quite messy...
    Okay. I might be get a netbook/tablet for studying in the library etc. I think I'll be okay studying in my room though as well so that shouldn't be a massive issue.

Okay, that's good to know. In the laundry rooms are there irons and ironing boards or is this something you have to bring?

And thanks for the reply
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Okay. I might be get a netbook/tablet for studying in the library etc. I think I'll be okay studying in my room though as well so that shouldn't be a massive issue.

Okay, that's good to know. In the laundry rooms are there irons and ironing boards or is this something you have to bring?

And thanks for the reply
    Irons/ironing boards are provided

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    Irons/ironing boards are provided
    Okay, phew! One less thing to worry about. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Okay, phew! One less thing to worry about. Thanks
    The boards are **** and so are the irons. I suggest atleast bringing your own iron if you want to iron stuff. Its not uncommon to see students walking out of Argos with new ironing boards.

Also, of anyone worried about having things taken just put the things you don't want checked into your cupboards or drawers. They aren't allowed to go into those items. Catered halls don't check the rooms so its not so much of an issue when having un-tested stuff. Self-catered halls have monthly room checks so make sure everything electrical that hasn't got a tag on it is hidden away. Also be aware of the amount of contractors that get access to your room (more in catered than self-catered), it pissed me off in my first year because there were so many contractors in my room ****ing about with the windows when I couldn't be there.

Thirdly, yes bring your desktop if you want. I bought a laptop thinking I would take it anywhere but in reality it just sits on my desk in my room acting like a desktop. If you want to game, beware ResNet block all UDP traffic and some TCP ports are also blocked. Make sure you either have a VPN or a shell that is unblocked and which you can tunnel traffic through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    The boards are **** and so are the irons. I suggest atleast bringing your own iron if you want to iron stuff. Its not uncommon to see students walking out of Argos with new ironing boards.

Also, of anyone worried about having things taken just put the things you don't want checked into your cupboards or drawers. They aren't allowed to go into those items. Catered halls don't check the rooms so its not so much of an issue when having un-tested stuff. Self-catered halls have monthly room checks so make sure everything electrical that hasn't got a tag on it is hidden away. Also be aware of the amount of contractors that get access to your room (more in catered than self-catered), it pissed me off in my first year because there were so many contractors in my room ****ing about with the windows when I couldn't be there.

Thirdly, yes bring your desktop if you want. I bought a laptop thinking I would take it anywhere but in reality it just sits on my desk in my room acting like a desktop. If you want to game, beware ResNet block all UDP traffic and some TCP ports are also blocked. Make sure you either have a VPN or a shell that is unblocked and which you can tunnel traffic through.

Oh okay. I read somewhere that you couldn't take your own irons though? (Nevermind just read what you said in the 2nd paragraph). I think we have a spare iron knocking about so I might just bring that incase.

And okay, cool. I'm not much of a gamer so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay. I read somewhere that you couldn't take your own irons though? (Nevermind just read what you said in the 2nd paragraph). I think we have a spare iron knocking about so I might just bring that incase.

And okay, cool. I'm not much of a gamer so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks =)
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, this is urgent!!!
    Mlitt MAnagement St Andrews Vs Msc Management Bath University
    (1)Is St Andrews good for MLITT MANAGEMENT? i see in all the rankings, in GENERAL , St Andrews s better than bath, but for my course it doesnt even appear in the FT RANKING.
    (2)I AM STUCK, bcoz i like the course structure of my programme in bath, but i like the reputation of St Andrews.
    (3) IS St Andrews equally well known for MAnagement programmes?
    (4)Mlitt degree are preferred by the employers? or else does it make a difference? Mlitt or Msc?
    i am an international student, looking for good job opp. please share ur thoughts!!! thanks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by vishal1mvp)
    x
    Hey,

Most people here are undergrads so aren't really qualified to answer questions on postgrad courses or questions referring to postgraduate league tables. As always though, you should take league tables with a pinch of salt. St Andrews is also a small university which may be the reason they aren't on the particular league table you're looking at. St Andrews is well knows for it's management school in the UK for it's undergraduate programme (just like the rest of their subjects).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting an Art History course this year at St Andrews. I'm not from the UK and I'll have to travel by plane to Scotland. I'm kinda hoping to plan my trip in advance. Does anyone know when I should arrive? As far as I understand, the course starts on the 10th of September, but I think I read somewhere that you can move in a couple of days earlier? FAQ on the university website states that 'the arrival date is usually the Saturday prior to Orientation Week', does that mean the 8th? Or do I have to wait for them to send me info about my accomodation and then I'll know when to arrive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kecius)
    Hi, I'm starting an Art History course this year at St Andrews. I'm not from the UK and I'll have to travel by plane to Scotland. I'm kinda hoping to plan my trip in advance. Does anyone know when I should arrive? As far as I understand, the course starts on the 10th of September, but I think I read somewhere that you can move in a couple of days earlier? FAQ on the university website states that 'the arrival date is usually the Saturday prior to Orientation Week', does that mean the 8th? Or do I have to wait for them to send me info about my accomodation and then I'll know when to arrive?
    Classes start on the 17th, but "Orientation" week begins on the 10th. So usually (if I remember correctly) halls will start letting people in on the Saturday, so the 8th.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/semesterdates/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spongle)
    Classes start on the 17th, but "Orientation" week begins on the 10th. So usually (if I remember correctly) halls will start letting people in on the Saturday, so the 8th.

Yes, move-in is on the 8th (most halls at 10AM).

Here is the orientation schedule: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/orientation/events/.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

(Original post by spongle)

Even though classes wont begin until 17th, you will need to be there by 10th to complete advising etc and you wont want to miss out on the freshers weeks events as that's were you meet people and make friends! Most people will arrive on 8th and some more on 9th.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks. Just one more question - Orientation week is the same as Freshers week?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ok, thanks. Just one more question - Orientation week is the same as Freshers week?
    Yes :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on applying to economics at St. Andrews? Things to mention in statement, necessary experience, etc? Any help would be massively appreciated.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bonzo10)
    Any advice on applying to economics at St. Andrews? Things to mention in statement, necessary experience, etc? Any help would be massively appreciated.
    Nothing specifically for St Andrews I don't think. Just make sure you have a good personal statement, just like for any other university. This might help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.