St Andrews - Ask A Current Student Thread Watch

Meteorshower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by a big fridge)
Thanks a lot, also can anyone help me with my accommodation code. It's SR/NX16A, so does the NX mean I'm in St Regs Annex??
Not 100% sure but it sounds like it.
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by a big fridge)
Thanks a lot, also can anyone help me with my accommodation code. It's SR/NX16A, so does the NX mean I'm in St Regs Annex??

(Original post by Meteorshower)
Not 100% sure but it sounds like it.
:ditto: It sure does!
vpfrends
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm a new user, but I'm panicking a bit so I feel like I need to try and get some answers ASAP!

Firstly, I'm about to start my first year, and I'm having real trouble on iSaint with the pre-advising. (I know I've left this late!) I just can't see where to go, because there's no academic tab where apparently the link is. I've sent an email to the IT helpdesk, so hopefully they might tell me something. Anyone know what I should do in the meantime?

Also, the site appears to be broken for submitting a photo for a student ID card. I guess there's nothing I can do about that, but I'm still a bit worried - does anyone know if it will be up soon?

Finally, I'm really unsure about whether I should buy the books I need before I get there, or when I need to read them! (I'm doing English and Film Studies, and I think I'll be taking Ancient History as well.) Should I just wait until I get there and see exactly what I need?

I'd really appreciate any help with my many worries
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by vpfrends)
I'm a new user, but I'm panicking a bit so I feel like I need to try and get some answers ASAP!

Firstly, I'm about to start my first year, and I'm having real trouble on iSaint with the pre-advising. (I know I've left this late!) I just can't see where to go, because there's no academic tab where apparently the link is. I've sent an email to the IT helpdesk, so hopefully they might tell me something. Anyone know what I should do in the meantime?

Also, the site appears to be broken for submitting a photo for a student ID card. I guess there's nothing I can do about that, but I'm still a bit worried - does anyone know if it will be up soon?

Finally, I'm really unsure about whether I should buy the books I need before I get there, or when I need to read them! (I'm doing English and Film Studies, and I think I'll be taking Ancient History as well.) Should I just wait until I get there and see exactly what I need?

I'd really appreciate any help with my many worries
:hi:

With regards to the academic tab and the photo, just wait a while and see if it starts working. Most people haven't access to the academic tab but have eventually so it's nothing to worry about. I'd also wait until you actually get here before you start buying books as reading lists can change and the lecturers will most likely tell you which ones you should buy in the intro lecture.
vpfrends
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ecosse_14)
:hi:

With regards to the academic tab and the photo, just wait a while and see if it starts working. Most people haven't access to the academic tab but have eventually so it's nothing to worry about. I'd also wait until you actually get here before you start buying books as reading lists can change and the lecturers will most likely tell you which ones you should buy in the intro lecture.
Thank you! It's nice I'm not the only one up so late :P
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by vpfrends)
Thank you! It's nice I'm not the only one up so late :P
We only come out at night
RainbowSquee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm looking at St Andrews, and I was wondering something about the Academic Parent situation...

I've read about the academic parents system, and I take it you adopt your mother and your father adopts you? But, how do you choose your mother? Like, do you just randomly pick one out that you meet , or someone from your halls or what? Does anyone end up without one? (Sorry, worrier, but the whole thing sounds stressful...) And then a guy just randomly picks you to adopt?
Jacinthe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I visited St Andrews in the summer and loved it, so I'm definately applying for 2013 entry, but I was wondering how many international students there are? I'm not technically one myself, but I've grown up outside the UK and taken international exams, and I'm a little daunted by moving back. Do they get accepted into the student body as quickly as UK students, and are A levels/Advanced Highers favoured over exams such as the IB?

Also, is there a swimming pool in or near St Andrews?
duracell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jacinthe)
I visited St Andrews in the summer and loved it, so I'm definately applying for 2013 entry, but I was wondering how many international students there are? I'm not technically one myself, but I've grown up outside the UK and taken international exams, and I'm a little daunted by moving back. Do they get accepted into the student body as quickly as UK students, and are A levels/Advanced Highers favoured over exams such as the IB?

I think we're about 1/3 international students if I remember rightly. Nothing will stop you from being 'accepted' into the student body, as long as you make an effort to make friends etc. No exams are favoured over others (I should know, I did the IB too!).

There's a swimming pool at East Sands Leisure Centre. Swimming Club uses both that one and one at St Leonard's School.

Hope that helps!
Quackers93
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laurie:))
i hope i can get my hands on one, cause it sounds like a really good opportunity to get to know/have fun with the people on my corridor!

have bought tickets to some other events as well, but not everything
Have you managed to get a ticket yet?
lorry:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quackers93)
Have you managed to get a ticket yet?
ohhh you just reminded me! but my dads just taken my brother to rugby training, so i'll have to wait until he gets home cause im using his card
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RainbowSquee)
I'm looking at St Andrews, and I was wondering something about the Academic Parent situation...

I've read about the academic parents system, and I take it you adopt your mother and your father adopts you? But, how do you choose your mother? Like, do you just randomly pick one out that you meet , or someone from your halls or what? Does anyone end up without one? (Sorry, worrier, but the whole thing sounds stressful...) And then a guy just randomly picks you to adopt?
It's all very informal so often times you'll probably get asked by a potential mother if you want to be adopted. The third/fourth years are mostly all keen to adopt so as long as you are involved in any societies or hall events at all you wont have a problem getting adopted! It's not stressful and pretty much everyone ends up with parents
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jacinthe)

In addition to what duracell has said, we're roughly 1/3 Scottish, 1/3 RUK and EU and 1/3 international. So it's a pretty international uni :yes:
spongle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ecosse_14)
In addition to what duracell has said, we're roughly 1/3 Scottish, 1/3 RUK and EU and 1/3 international. So it's a pretty international uni :yes:
I've heard this before, but I find it really hard to believe there's so many.
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by spongle)
I've heard this before, but I find it really hard to believe there's so many.
It's basically the scientists.
Cuin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
*shrugs* I've never really noticed a higher proportion of Scottish scientists.

The minor fact that I, in fact, AM a Scottish scientist may or may not play a part in that.
Helsy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Quite a few Scots in Physics. But that can't be the only subject...
CJ99
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RainbowSquee)

I am adopting you, you are my child now, I own you!

Don't worry too much about it. Tradition dictates that 3rd years ask 1st years. Generally from subjects, halls or societies. I plan to adopt some mermaid children and a computer scientist if I can. And if you don't get parents there will be an orphan bop a few weeks before raisin weekend where all the orphans can go and get adopted my drunk 3rd years.
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CJ99)
I am adopting you, you are my child now, I own you!

Don't worry too much about it. Tradition dictates that 3rd years ask 1st years. Generally from subjects, halls or societies. I plan to adopt some mermaid children and a computer scientist if I can. And if you don't get parents there will be an orphan bop a few weeks before raisin weekend where all the orphans can go and get adopted my drunk 3rd years.
Note to freshers - don't let just anyone adopt you
I am Ace
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do I have a better chance at applying for Maths or Physics?
I phoned the physics department who told me because I don't have 5A's (4A's and a C) that I could be rejected.
I know ST A run on a 5A offer basis but I'm sitting 4 Advanced Highers including Advanced Applied Maths -Mechanics.
Do I have a better chance at Maths or Physics or neither?
Anythings I can do to improve my chances?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed