University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7500
What's maths like at St Andrews?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 7501
Original post by Ecosse_14
I'm afraid you're only really going to get an answer if you email the uni and ask them.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7502
Original post by Jam'
What's maths like at St Andrews?

Content wise, most likely no different from all the other universities since they all teach you the skills/building blocks you need to work with maths.
Since I've only taken a couple of modules with them, I can't really give you much detail on the later years, but one of the others might be able to.
The lecturers and staff are all really friendly. If you've got a quick question or have no idea how to do something, they will spend time with you and go over it.
The building is probably not the nicest looking one around, but the lecture theatres have recently been redone, and if you feel a bit cold in winter, just go and sit in the maths department and you'll warm right up!
So basically, Maths is good here. Brilliant staff who do their best to see you through your degree. :smile:
It should definitely be more than 50%. At least 70% of your PS should be about your academic interest in maths then a short bit about your ECs.

You could see if anything suits you here.

Thank u very much for this useful link :smile: There is all that i need!
The cheapest you'll find further out of town centre would be £360pppm (and you'd be lucky to get this!) and this goes all the way up as you get to the town centre/near the Old Course in the big, fancy flats. It is quite stressful as there isn't enough private accommodation for the number of people looking so you need to be properly prepared in advance and move fast when it comes to the time where estate agents are putting lists out and things.

£360 pppm? Really? I'm paying £350 at the moment, and I'm only ten minutes out of town... my boyfriend is paying £250 a month, and he only lives twenty minutes away! There are cheaper places out there, you just have to look hard enough :smile:
Original post by Bella_trixxx
£360 pppm? Really? I'm paying £350 at the moment, and I'm only ten minutes out of town... my boyfriend is paying £250 a month, and he only lives twenty minutes away! There are cheaper places out there, you just have to look hard enough :smile:

Ok, I was just exaggerating a bit because the vast majority are over £360. The cheapest I've ever heard is £340. No idea how your boyfriend managed to get £250pm :eek:
Reply 7506

Ok, I was just exaggerating a bit because the vast majority are over £360. The cheapest I've ever heard is £340. No idea how your boyfriend managed to get £250pm :eek:

Ecosse_14 is right. Considering most of the estate agents don't offer much below £380 (well at least not any of the lists that I looked at last year), the majority of people are paying over that.
I was paying £340 last year and that was the cheapest of anyone I knew. and this year I'm paying £360 and it's a similar story. There are places for cheaper than that but realistically, most people pay around £360 or more.

His house is rented out privately, and not through an estate agent, hence the cheapness!
His house is rented out privately, and not through an estate agent, hence the cheapness!

Must have an extremely nice landlord to charge that when most others charge around £100pm more! :tongue:
Hiya

Sorry to kind of change the subject, but can you recommend me quiet accomodation in St Andrews, I like to go to bed really early on weekdays and love peace and quiet. However on weekends I love to go out and stuff.
Reply 7510
I've just started my final year of UK sixth form, and I'm applying to St Andrews but I've heard they're really competitive. I am desperate to go and I'm just wondering if you could tell me what you think you my chances are of getting in. I got 2A*s 6As and 2Bs at GCSE. and I got AAABB in my AS results (the first year of A levels). I want to study English lit, and due to AQA and their English errors i was given a B for my grade overal, despite getting full marks in the coursework. My teachers have asked for my paper back, and my teacher who is an AQA examiner said the paper has been marked completely wrong, and whilst they believe other people's papers have been marked wrong and their is evidence to suggest AQA knows of their errors, my school isnt 'confident they will do a whole centre marking review due to the GCSE marking scandal, meaning we will have to resit in January. I'm worried that this will effect me getting to St Andrews, as I haven't got an A first time round. It's incredibly frustrating as I know I am a capable literature student, most people got given Us and Es in my class, which is clearly wrong as they would have to have wrote almost nothing in order to achieve that. I am predicted AAA, and I have been told my personal statement is strong. Will the fact I have to resit my literature paper put me at a hinderence?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7511
*not confident they will do a whole centre remark. sorry, typo.
Hi! I'm from Colorado and I am a potential student! I am really liking St. Andrews from what I have seen in my research. I have a few questions though:

How is the theater program? Are there a lot of plays and musicals? Do people come see them?

Also, how big is campus--is it in the middle of town or is it close together? Do you see people you know?

Thanks so much for answering my questions, I hope I go here!!

Emma
Original post by egrueskin
Hi! I'm from Colorado and I am a potential student! I am really liking St. Andrews from what I have seen in my research. I have a few questions though:

How is the theater program? Are there a lot of plays and musicals? Do people come see them?

Also, how big is campus--is it in the middle of town or is it close together? Do you see people you know?

Thanks so much for answering my questions, I hope I go here!!

Emma

I'm a fresher here, but from what I've seen there are loads of plays, musicals and other music events. The music society and mermaids (the performing arts society - http://mermaidstheatre.com/ ) are really active, and it's easy to get involved.

The university is spread all over the town; the town's not massive so everything is relatively close together (everything's in walking distance), and you see people you know pretty much all the time. It's nice to have the university integrated into the town, and I personally don't find it claustrophobic. I think it's a lovely place to live.
Reply 7514
Original post by weaseldiva
Hiya

Sorry to kind of change the subject, but can you recommend me quiet accomodation in St Andrews, I like to go to bed really early on weekdays and love peace and quiet. However on weekends I love to go out and stuff.

Are you asking about halls? There isn't any 'quiet' accommodation per se, because student halls by their very nature are noisy. It really all depends on who your neighbours are, what your corridor/flat is like, whether or not you have a roommate etc. When you apply for halls there are boxes you can tick to indicate that you like to go to bed early etc. which is the university's way of trying to make sure you get put somewhere most suited to you. :smile:
Hi,

I'm thinking of studying International Relations (with Arabic or Economics) or French and Psychology in St. Andrews.
Does anyone here already studies one of these subjects and could help me out with some information? :smile:

Do you like the course, is it demanding etc. ?
Does it get boring after a while (cause politics can be very dry)?

And do you know if future perspectives esp. for International Relations at St. Andrews are better than elsewhere cause at other unis IR is only included in politics studies and not a single subject?
Do employers give you a bonus for going to a prestigious uni like St. Andrews?

I really burn for topics like the ones covered in IR but I am also a chicken and afraid of future employability (esp. cause of the current financial crisis etc.).
Would it be the safer option to study e.g. Chemistry with French and to become a French and Chem teacher?

And how's uni life? I've heard there are quite a few snobs at Oxbridge but I hope St. Andrews isn't that extreme.

Thank you soo much!!! (And hopefully see you in St. Andrews next year)
Hi, i am applying to st andrews to do geology. The entry requirements are AAB and i am predicted AAA. I do biology, geography and economics A levels. I also do extra curricula activities such as rowing. What do you think my chances are of getting in considering geology isnt a very popular subject. I am from Englad btw
Original post by Benjamingeology
Hi, i am applying to st andrews to do geology. The entry requirements are AAB and i am predicted AAA. I do biology, geography and economics A levels. I also do extra curricula activities such as rowing. What do you think my chances are of getting in considering geology isnt a very popular subject. I am from Englad btw

Nobody knows. You exceed the minimum likely offer so your grades are fine. It then all just comes down to your personal statement and reference.
I don't suppose anybody knows which computers MAPLE is installed on? Is it just in the maths department or might I find it in the Bute or somewhere else too?
Reply 7519
Original post by hayheyley
I don't suppose anybody knows which computers MAPLE is installed on? Is it just in the maths department or might I find it in the Bute or somewhere else too?

Last year, the only place I found them were in Maths. The PC Classroom in Physics might have started having it now, but the Maths PC suite would be your best bet. Plus you can have access to that room 24/7, though I never tried it at 2am... :tongue:

Though, you should be able to get it on your own computer too, I think it's about £30, but completely doable.

Latest

Trending

Trending