The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7560
Original post by Bella_trixxx
Yeah you can :smile:
Out of curiosity, who's teaching first year Russian nowadays? We had some excellent teachers a few years ago, made the terrifying experience of the genitive plural much easier... but they're all gone now :frown:

Thank you!
It's not that the teachers are bad, it's just very fast paced and the class is huge, so I'm finding it difficult to keep up. I have Dr Booth and Dr Donovan (not sure if that's their titles!)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 7561
Original post by kiwicake
Thank you!
It's not that the teachers are bad, it's just very fast paced and the class is huge, so I'm finding it difficult to keep up. I have Dr Booth and Dr Donovan (not sure if that's their titles!)

Oh dear... do you know if there will be any changes next year I was thinking of applying for this (with French).:frown:
Reply 7562
Oh and another question... I want to go to the open day on october 31st but it is fully booked will i definitely be okay to turn up without booking, (i was going to email them but the link to the email address on the website doesn't work).
Original post by rac1
Oh and another question... I want to go to the open day on october 31st but it is fully booked will i definitely be okay to turn up without booking, (i was going to email them but the link to the email address on the website doesn't work).

Yeah you'd be okay to turn up without booking, it just means you need to take an extra 5 minutes to register when you arrive.
Reply 7564
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yeah you'd be okay to turn up without booking, it just means you need to take an extra 5 minutes to register when you arrive.

Thankyou!! unfortunately your word wasn't good enough for my mum so i had to ring up and book even though there weren't any spaces left :rolleyes:

One last thing (sorry) how posh is St Andrew's I'm a bit worried about that now:p:)
Original post by rac1
Thankyou!! unfortunately your word wasn't good enough for my mum so i had to ring up and book even though there weren't any spaces left :rolleyes:

One last thing (sorry) how posh is St Andrew's I'm a bit worried about that now:p:)

It's not that posh at all. Yes, you do get some really posh people but the majority aren't that posh. You'll see for yourself when you come visit :smile:
Reply 7566
Original post by rac1

Yeah, like Ecosse said it's not actually that posh. Just looks like it sometimes. Though word of warning... on my open day I swear that nearly every student I saw was American. :wink: But that's not true either... they're just more noticeable I guess. :tongue:
Reply 7567
My question will probably be the awkwardest one.. -.-

Right, so I've been to the open day, and totally loved everything about the uni (and the town, too!). One thing though, how are the health issues there? I mean, my immune system seems to function just fine, but the possible lack of vitamin D for 4 years kind of creeps me out -.- I live in the South, so I'm quite used to the sun and warmth, and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with Scottish weather (which is a shame, honestly, I just loooove everything about St. Andrews so much!)? Also, any particular tips for keeping myself out of sickness like common colds? :smile: (like, when we visited accommodations, i saw two pairs of gumboots in a room. Didn't think of that one).
Original post by perhonen

Right, so I've been to the open day, and totally loved everything about the uni (and the town, too!). One thing though, how are the health issues there? I mean, my immune system seems to function just fine, but the possible lack of vitamin D for 4 years kind of creeps me out -.- I live in the South, so I'm quite used to the sun and warmth, and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with Scottish weather (which is a shame, honestly, I just loooove everything about St. Andrews so much!)? Also, any particular tips for keeping myself out of sickness like common colds? :smile: (like, when we visited accommodations, i saw two pairs of gumboots in a room. Didn't think of that one).

Do you mean the South of England? Because I'm from there and I swear the weather is hardly different at all, just windy at times because we're on the coast. As for colds, you do not catch a cold because it is cold. One catches a cold from germs. And considering St Andrews is not crawling with rats and fleas I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't particularly understand the connection between having a normal immune system and being worried about getting sick in St Andrews. I have yet to fall ill here myself.

Try Vitamin D tablets? Drink more milk?
Reply 7569
Chibelta, thanks a lot! I'm just completely useless at whatever concerns my health that's why I'm so paranoid about it! =) But yeah, now you completely calmed me down :smile: And yes, it's quite sunny down here (most of the time of course... not at this very moment though :P)
Reply 7570
Original post by Chibelta
Do you mean the South of England? Because I'm from there and I swear the weather is hardly different at all, just windy at times because we're on the coast. As for colds, you do not catch a cold because it is cold. One catches a cold from germs. And considering St Andrews is not crawling with rats and fleas I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't particularly understand the connection between having a normal immune system and being worried about getting sick in St Andrews. I have yet to fall ill here myself.

Thanks a lot! =) I'm just completely useless at whatever concerns my health, so I'm really paranoid about it! =) Well, for immune system, just in case someone advised me to go improve it so that i don't catch germs -.- But yes, you totally calmed me down! And yes, it's quite sunny down here, although not at this very moment, but most of the time =)

Original post by Chibelta

You don't need vitamin D tablets, unless you spend ridiculous amounts of time indoors with windows closed, it is very difficult to develop these kind of problems.

Although the immune system can be affected by the cold, it won't be cold enough to have a noticeable effect in St. Andrews.

Overall you'll be fine.
Reply 7572
any accommodation advice ? especially for students trying to keep costs to a minimum...Also what about catering, is it worth it and where does the best meals/worst ??
Reply 7573

The only people I've heard of having problems with stuff like that are the Computer Science people. But even then, I think they were only joking.
Everyone gets Freshers' flu, but it's over after a few days and it gives you something to grumble about to others.
So just make sure you eat fruit & veg like normal and you'll be fine. Like someone else said, you don't get a cold just because it's cold.
(But a warm coat might help you stay warm in December...)
Reply 7574
The accommodation in halls seems pretty pricey, does it get cheaper when you move out from second year?
Original post by glug
The accommodation in halls seems pretty pricey, does it get cheaper when you move out from second year?

No. :'(
Reply 7576
Original post by Bella_trixxx
No. :'(

Wow, really? How does everyone afford it? Is it easy to find part time work?
Reply 7577
Original post by Ecosse_14
It's not that posh at all. Yes, you do get some really posh people but the majority aren't that posh. You'll see for yourself when you come visit :smile:

Original post by Helsy
Yeah, like Ecosse said it's not actually that posh. Just looks like it sometimes. Though word of warning... on my open day I swear that nearly every student I saw was American. :wink: But that's not true either... they're just more noticeable I guess. :tongue:

Thanks guys!
Reply 7578
Original post by glug
Wow, really? How does everyone afford it? Is it easy to find part time work?

I couldn't find a job, although I can't speak English properly (international fresher student) so I applied to physical jobs from cleaning to supermarket and kitchen (not barist) staff, but nothing :/ If you are a good speaker, you can find jobs with more success.

I guess for a year I'll spend 5000 pounds, and I live in Albany Park.
Reply 7579
Hi all,
I am international student and I would be choosing catered hall If I go to St.Andrews.We were debating of how much would it cost (how much do you spend per year) realistically,I don't drink too much but I would be going out with my friends I mean just a normal person.

What do you pay ? What would be the max price for the personal use ?

Latest

Trending

Trending