The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Have any of you done the Erasmus study abroad thing? If so, what was it like?

I'd love to go and do History at Trinity College Dublin for a semester, but is it dead competitive to get on the programme? It says you require a '13.5' - is that above average?

And are there many places on it for Trinity? Because I don't really fancy any of the other Erasmus universities ( New Jersey for example - ugh!).
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by SiriusCybernetics

I'd love to go and do History at Trinity College Dublin for a semester, but is it dead competitive to get on the programme? It says you require a '13.5' - is that above average?

And are there many places on it for Trinity? Because I don't really fancy any of the other Erasmus universities ( New Jersey for example - ugh!).

Can't really answer your question other than saying that a 13.5 is what you need to get a 2:1 (for example, a 13.4 would be a 2:2). So no, it's not about average as the majority of people get those grades.

As Ecosse says it's what you need for a 2.1 which is what most come away with (it translates to 55-60% I think depending on department). A few get 2.2s, a few get firsts.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7923
If you were to fail a module during sub-honours, would that should up on your transcript? If yes, how would employers respond towards that?
Original post by gdo
If you were to fail a module during sub-honours, would that should up on your transcript? If yes, how would employers respond towards that?

Yes it shows up on your transcript.

I can't really comment on how employers would respond to it for graduate jobs, but I have a failed module in first year and I managed to get an internship this summer with it on my transcript (I'm a third year, and the subject was unrelated to my degree).
Reply 7925
Original post by Feloreena
Yes it shows up on your transcript.

I can't really comment on how employers would respond to it for graduate jobs, but I have a failed module in first year and I managed to get an internship this summer with it on my transcript (I'm a third year, and the subject was unrelated to my degree).

But will it be obvious on your transcript that it is the 3rd and 4th year modules and grades that counts towards your final average?
Original post by gdo
But will it be obvious on your transcript that it is the 3rd and 4th year modules and grades that counts towards your final average?

The employer should already know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7927

I haven't done the study abroad programme, nor am I a current student at St Andrews, but I hopefully will from September and onwards. I spoke to a girl about the various study abroad programmes, and she told me that many of them are competitive. Apparently getting a 13.5 is quite easy, but the better your grades are, the more likely you are to get your desired spot. Maybe try to aim higher than the minimum requirement.

That said, I don't know anything about Trinity. I didn't even know they did exchanges with them, so I assume this is a History specific programme? In that case, participation might be easier. :smile:
I don't know if this is in the right thread but I will put it here anyway! I am hoping to study French and Spanish this September and and I was wondering if any language students could help me regarding the third subject you can pick up for the first year (of if it is a language for the rest of your course) as i want to pick up russian.
do the option blocks usually accommodate for the conjunction of these three subjects? And in general, are the subject blocks usually a problem and prevent a lot of students from picking up the third subject they really want to do. 😊😊 thank you! Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C.Ellen24
Yeah....I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels like that :smile: thanks

What course have you applied for?

Haha it's good to know right :smile: German and Russian, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bethpillsbury
I don't know if this is in the right thread but I will put it here anyway! I am hoping to study French and Spanish this September and and I was wondering if any language students could help me regarding the third subject you can pick up for the first year (of if it is a language for the rest of your course) as i want to pick up russian.
do the option blocks usually accommodate for the conjunction of these three subjects? And in general, are the subject blocks usually a problem and prevent a lot of students from picking up the third subject they really want to do. 😊😊 thank you! Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can look here at the 13-14 course catalogue and 12-13 timetables (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/ug/2013-2014/) to see what your options are.
Do students get a St Andrews Email Address? When does this happen?
Original post by ElizabethRG

Yes, and I think you get it once you've been accepted properly after results day (don't remember exactly as it's been a few years since I got mine now - but you definitely get it a bit before you arrive in St Andrews).
I would like to book my flight tickets for the first semester pretty soon. Could somebody please tell me the appropriate dates? I'm afraid of getting things mixed up :/ ( I will be a first-year, so I'd like to attend freshers' week obviously :redface: )
Thanks !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7934
Original post by ElizabethRG

Yes, you do. Once your offer is unconditional and you receive your entrant email from the admin people, it will have your username (usually your initials) and it will lead you through a process to create your own password. After that you can access your email account (But nothing much exciting happens on it until perhaps Freshers' week...). :smile:

Original post by Welsh Lady
I would like to book my flight tickets for the first semester pretty soon. Could somebody please tell me the appropriate dates? I'm afraid of getting things mixed up :/ ( I will be a first-year, so I'd like to attend freshers' week obviously :redface: )
Thanks !!

Here [link] are the dates for basically everything you need over the year (and there are other years on the side as well). :smile:
[Though it doesn't say it, you'll want to turn up for the 7th since that's the usual moving in day for accommodation and the first weekend you tend to meet a lot of people, so is always a good idea! :smile: ]
(edited 10 years ago)
Here [link] are the dates for basically everything you need over the year (and there are other years on the side as well). :smile:
[Though it doesn't say it, you'll want to turn up for the 7th since that's the usual moving in day for accommodation and the first weekend you tend to meet a lot of people, so is always a good idea! :smile: ]

Thank you :smile:
That basically means arrival on 7th September and departure on 21st December, doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7936
Original post by Welsh Lady

Thank you :smile:
That basically means arrival on 7th September and departure on 21st December, doesn't it?

Essentially. :smile:
Reply 7937
Hi everyone,I was wondering whats the price of train and bus cards.As I dont know anything about the life in UK,I dont know If It's economic.But on the other hand I would travel often since my friends from Turkey will go to Nottingham,Kent and also Sorbonne so London,Nottingham,Canterbury will be some of the meeting places,I also want to explore Wales so what would be your advice ? :smile: :smile:. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Charlaux
Hi everyone,I was wondering whats the price of train and bus cards.As I dont know anything about the life in UK,I dont know If It's economic.But on the other hand I would travel often since my friends from Turkey will go to Nottingham,Kent and also Sorbonne so London,Nottingham,Canterbury will be some of the meeting places,I also want to explore Wales so what would be your advice ? :smile: :smile:. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know much about buses since I only use them to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow but I take the train whenever I go home. You can buy a railcard which costs £28 a year (or it works out cheaper if you buy a 3 year one) and gives you 1/3 off rail travel. If you are making a long train journey then I'd recommend booking in advance because you can save a lot of money - you can have a look at the website here to see how much it's likely to cost. The nearest train station to St Andrews is Leuchars.
Original post by hayheyley
I don't know much about buses since I only use them to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow but I take the train whenever I go home. You can buy a railcard which costs £28 a year (or it works out cheaper if you buy a 3 year one) and gives you 1/3 off rail travel. If you are making a long train journey then I'd recommend booking in advance because you can save a lot of money - you can have a look at the website here to see how much it's likely to cost. The nearest train station to St Andrews is Leuchars.

Not always-my Leuchars to Coventry ticket is £80 with a railcard regardless of when I book it.

Latest

Trending

Trending