The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Anyone had any experience of St. Regulus hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Officegirl4
Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't lived there but the various people I've known who have, and the several times I've visited, there haven't been many complaints. Some rooms are extremely small (there is one which is literally a converted closet), but that was the only real gripe.
How hard is it for American Students to get into the IR program? What factors do admissions people look at closest when deciding on whether to accept American students?
Reply 8003

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you want to know?
Original post by MissL
What do you want to know?

What is it like? Going there on Sunday for a week for the Sutton trust summer school :smile:
What's the bathroom situation? How are the meals? How close is it to things? Not just university things, but also like the beach and stuff :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8005
What is it like? Going there on Sunday for a week for the Sutton trust summer school :smile:
What's the bathroom situation? How are the meals? How close is it to things? Not just university things, but also like the beach and stuff :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plenty of bath and shower rooms, cleaned daily and I never had to wait for one. Food is okay - gets a bit samey after a couple of months but I'm sure it'll be fine for a week. It's really close to everything, right in the centre of town and close to the beach. You'll have a ball.
Original post by MissL
Plenty of bath and shower rooms, cleaned daily and I never had to wait for one. Food is okay - gets a bit samey after a couple of months but I'm sure it'll be fine for a week. It's really close to everything, right in the centre of town and close to the beach. You'll have a ball.

Thank you!

Are the rooms like flats? If so, are the baths rooms in the flats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8007
Thank you!

Are the rooms like flats? If so, are the baths rooms in the flats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No the rooms are mostly corridors and the bathrooms are in the corridors too.
Reply 8008
I will be coming to study at St Andrews in September and one of my biggest concerns is how far it is from London. Do big firms still come to hold events and is there support in getting internships etc? Does Edinburgh hold many opportunities for work experience? Obviously I gather that will depend largely on the field!
Original post by Lilyyy
I will be coming to study at St Andrews in September and one of my biggest concerns is how far it is from London. Do big firms still come to hold events and is there support in getting internships etc? Does Edinburgh hold many opportunities for work experience? Obviously I gather that will depend largely on the field!

Of course they do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering if an Oxbridge application would affect the chances of me getting into St. Andrews. After talking to many Oxford students, I realised that quite a few of them had been given an offer at Oxford but been rejected by St. Andrews/Durham. Whereas the students who decide against applying to Oxbridge of a similar calibre seem to have a better success rate at getting accepted by St. Andrews. Due to the early UCAS application for Oxbridge, the other universities have a pretty good idea that that is where you've applied, and I understand that the other unis may not want the reputation of taking Oxbridge rejects. Therefore I was wondering if I'd have a better chance of a St. Andrews offer if I didn't apply to Oxbridge, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8011
Original post by Alex2424
I was wondering if an Oxbridge application would affect the chances of me getting into St. Andrews. After talking to many Oxford students, I realised that quite a few of them had been given an offer at Oxford but been rejected by St. Andrews/Durham. Whereas the students who decide against applying to Oxbridge of a similar calibre seem to have a better success rate at getting accepted by St. Andrews. Due to the early UCAS application for Oxbridge, the other universities have a pretty good idea that that is where you've applied, and I understand that the other unis may not want the reputation of taking Oxbridge rejects. Therefore I was wondering if I'd have a better chance of a St. Andrews offer if I didn't apply to Oxbridge, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It won't affect your chances either way at all. Universities don't know were else you've applied to. Yeh they could guess, but ultimately they want the best students possible and so won't care, certainly there is no element of trying to avoid having an oxbridge reject reputation - where else you apply will have absolutely no effect on your chances at St Andrews
Reply 8012
Original post by Lilyyy

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news/archive/2013/title,220891,en.php

London isn't the centre of the Universe, plenty of graduates here go on to secure big jobs in the city etc.
Reply 8013

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appied to Oxford and was still given an offer by St Andrews so in my experience it didn't affect my application to St Andrews.
Original post by nushi
I appied to Oxford and was still given an offer by St Andrews so in my experience it didn't affect my application to St Andrews.

The same for me; I don't think it makes any difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much every English student at St Andrews applied and was rejected from Oxbridge. It doesn't make a difference.
Original post by languagelover
Pretty much every English student at St Andrews applied and was rejected from Oxbridge. It doesn't make a difference.

I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said everyone. My point still stands: many people get into St Andrews after applying to Oxbridge, therefore the poster should not feel deterred from applying to both.
Hi,

I’d appreciate some input regarding the first-year modules for Economics and International Relations.

1. What’s the format for the 2 hour written examinations in these courses (e.g. problem sets in Economics, essays in International Relations, etc)?

2. How is the “Course Work” segment of the grade computed in each of these first-year modules (e.g. papers, class participation in tutorials, group projects, written exams, etc)?

3. How is the “Practical Examination” portion of the grade in the International Relations first-year module determined? More generally, what is a practical examination?

4. How would you rate the work load, the quality of teaching, and the difficulty of doing well in first-year Economics and International Relations? I read somewhere that a big majority of students score a 2:1 or higher in these courses. Is that true?

5 Are the large lectures in each course a turn-off? Is it important to attend these lectures?

Thanks!
Reply 8019
Hi!

I'm Nika and I'm starting MSc in September. I've been offered a place in Fife park. But on the web site it's said that they started refurbishment there and haven't finished yet. So there will be "controlled building activities in areas of Fife Park during termtime". I am a bit confused. Does anybody know how is the refurbishment going? What is it like there now? Is it OK to live their during construction?
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending