Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emeraldeyes15)
    Hello I hope you can help me
    I have applied to Medieval History at St Andrews (waiting for their decision)
    But I'm confused about the 2 optionals. Do I have to do 2 or can I just do what I've applied to do and one more?
    If not how much more work do you think 2 optionals and a main subject is ?
    Thanks
    Constance
    You have to do 60 credits per semester. In first year the modules are 20 credits, so this means that you have to take your subject and two others, there isn't an option.

ReputationRep:
    I've had offers from 4 unis including St. Andrews for modern languages but still waiting on my fifth choice :/ I want to firm St. Andrews as quickly as possible, should I withdraw my application from my final uni so I can apply for accommodation or just keep waiting? Given that I have no idea when they'll reply (Southampton). Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Received an offer to start a postgrad in St Andrews this year. Got a few questions.

1) How many Scots are at St Andrews? I'm Scottish but I've heard tale we're in the distinct minority at St Andrews.

2) I'm from a working class background. How all-encompassing is St Andrew's alleged toffery?

3) Do the union or any local pubs regularly show Scottish football games? This might be a long shot, but is there an Irish bar or supporters club that follow a certain west of Scotland Irish catholic football side?

4) As a first-year postgrad students, what are my odds of getting into halls or, failing that, reasonably affordable uni accommodation?

5) Another long shot, but is there anywhere in St Andrews I could train Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BigDogWoof;46680075]Hi there! Received an offer to start a postgrad in St Andrews this year. Got a few questions.

Hi Not a current student but I can tell you that there is plenty of bars that show british and scottish football, the raisen in very good, the pubs and bars are just the same as everywhere else. Also there is only snobbishness in certain circles as with any other place.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have just a few questions about St Andrews before firming.

How often do people go to Edinburgh? I love Edinburgh and would love to be able to go once a month or so.

How commonplace is it for social events without drinking to occur? Not that I have anything opposed to drinking or won't partake, I just like quiet weekend nights every once in a while.

Are there any sports clubs for people who are legitimately beginners to join?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feloreena)
    You have to do 60 credits per semester. In first year the modules are 20 credits, so this means that you have to take your subject and two others, there isn't an option.

How much work would you say that is ?
    Also could I do Medieval History, History of Art and maybe something else?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emeraldeyes15)
    How much work would you say that is ?
    Also could I do Medieval History, History of Art and maybe something else?

Thanks
    I can't really comment for Arts students, as I did Science subjects. But I have to say the first year workload wasn't too high, and I don't know of anyone who struggled or found it too much. I think in the course catalogue on the university website you can get an idea of contact hours and how much time they expect you to work outside of lectures/tutorials.

And yep, you could do those subject choices!

Hope this helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    I can't really comment for Arts students, as I did Science subjects. But I have to say the first year workload wasn't too high, and I don't know of anyone who struggled or found it too much. I think in the course catalogue on the university website you can get an idea of contact hours and how much time they expect you to work outside of lectures/tutorials.

Hope this helps a bit!
    Hi feloreena!

Have you done biology and/or chemistry as I'm curious to know if the departments are good.

ReputationRep:
    I have a questions about workload and exams. Is the workload here different to other universities in scotland and are the exams harder? Just curious

ReputationRep:

Hope this helps a bit!
    I don't know, even in my first year I was on nearly 25h of class a week (chem/bio). The discrepancy between subjects is quite large.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlunn223)
    Hey guys I have just a few questions about St Andrews before firming.

How often do people go to Edinburgh? I love Edinburgh and would love to be able to go once a month or so.

How commonplace is it for social events without drinking to occur? Not that I have anything opposed to drinking or won't partake, I just like quiet weekend nights every once in a while.

Are there any sports clubs for people who are legitimately beginners to join?

Thanks!
    If you love Edinburgh so much go to uni there instead!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    If you love Edinburgh so much go to uni there instead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For many, many reasons I'd rather go to St Andrews, and love the town, but would definitely want to get out occasionally. Even if I were in a big city, I'd want to get some change of scenery every once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDogWoof)
    Hi there! Received an offer to start a postgrad in St Andrews this year. Got a few questions.

1) How many Scots are at St Andrews? I'm Scottish but I've heard tale we're in the distinct minority at St Andrews.

2) I'm from a working class background. How all-encompassing is St Andrew's alleged toffery?

3) Do the union or any local pubs regularly show Scottish football games? This might be a long shot, but is there an Irish bar or supporters club that follow a certain west of Scotland Irish catholic football side?

4) As a first-year postgrad students, what are my odds of getting into halls or, failing that, reasonably affordable uni accommodation?

5) Another long shot, but is there anywhere in St Andrews I could train Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)?
    1) it/s 1/3 Scots 1/3RUK and 1/3 international so 33%

2) I'm sharing a flat with 4 people from a working class background and I'm from a private school so it isn't all "toiffy" not that it should matter as it's quite a negative yet false stereotype

3) Yes they do, most pubs do

4) Not sure sorry

5) Yes there's an MMA club.

ReputationRep:
    That all sounds very encouraging. Have been spending the weekend sizing St Andrews up in comparison to my other offers, and I believe I'm going to accept

ReputationRep:
    Yo current students! Any medics? How do you learn in St Andy's? Do you feel like you have enough to do extra curriculars, like clubs and societies?

Then general questions out for everyone, how are you enjoying it? Rumour has it the area's pretty dead, how's the nightlife?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have just received a conditional offer for St Andrews for Art History that I plan to make my firm. I am wondering if any current students could tell me what the best halls are among the Catered single category... I personally love the look of St Salvator Hall?

What are the chances of getting a place there? Slim to none?! Do you get to have a preference on a particular hall?

Any advice on life in St Andrews and studying there would be appreciated!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottecharley)
    I have just received a conditional offer for St Andrews for Art History that I plan to make my firm. I am wondering if any current students could tell me what the best halls are among the Catered single category... I personally love the look of St Salvator Hall?

What are the chances of getting a place there? Slim to none?! Do you get to have a preference on a particular hall?

Thanks!
    Hi, it's hard to define 'best', depends on what you're looking for from a hall. Apparently McIntosh is supposed to have the best food, I'm in Andrew Melville and the food is awful. You don't get a preference of hall in first year, though putting shared accommodation as your preference might help, though you could get McIntosh, Regs, Uni Hall or John Burnet. You can select Andrew Melville as an option, as it is cheaper than the other standard catered halls. As for life in St Andrews, it's amazing. You'll be studying 3 subjects initially, so finding a balance between them is important, which can sometimes be difficult. Personally, I think it was the best decision I have ever made coming here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a further question actually. I'll be doing a subject in the Humanities. How adequate are the library resources? Moreso than books, access to online journals is fairly essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDogWoof)
    I have a further question actually. I'll be doing a subject in the Humanities. How adequate are the library resources? Moreso than books, access to online journals is fairly essential.
    Can't help with online resources, as I never use them (I'm one of those people that has to have the book in my hands or it just doesn't process), but I will say the resources aren't as good as you'd get at a larger uni. Of course, there's less demand, but there is also less selection. For example, in the entire library, there is one copy of a book specifically on Roman Women. There were about 30 students writing an essay on Roman Women at one point. You can imagine how that worked out (I had the book for a few days and it had three recalls on it). There are some books that there are more than 10 copies of, but often I can't find what I want unless I get books 2-3 weeks in advance of the essay's due date. The short loan section usually has everything I need, but again, only one copy of most books

So it could definitely be worse, but there's not the greatest selection. Basically I think the problem is that there's more students than books (which they are apparently trying to remedy). But I've never been able to find NOTHING on my given subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottecharley)

Thanks!
    Don't get hung up on one specific hall, because odds are you aren't going to get it, especially a small hall like Sallies. Most people do like where they end up living, and if it's truly awful, you can transfer accommodation (I moved from ABH to Sallies). You don't get to specify a hall, you get four options and a drop down menu to choose from (standard catered, ensuite catered, standard self catered, etc.) and from there it's luck of the draw. If you want Standard Catered, you're most likely to end up in Uni Hall, as it's the largest of the S/Cs (I think?) aside from Melville. Uni Hall is actually gorgeous though.

Basically, if you want standard catered and get it, be happy wherever it is. Last year, a huge chunk of people ended up in self catered, so those who got catered were lucky.

I'm probably not the best person to ask in terms of advice for living here - I hate the place. And whenever I offer my experience I get told I'm 'wrong'. An opinion's an opinion. I guess just make sure you do the readings and go to the lectures (seems obvious but you'd be surprised how many people 'forget') and try to join some clubs and societies that look interesting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.