Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsgp)
    For the self catered students: Can you live on £30 per week? How much do you spend on food? Thank you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup.

I spend around £20/week in Aldi, but I don't try to save money, so that could be cut down.

Just avoid convenience shopping (ie, Tesco and Sainsbury's). It's easy to nip in and get a few bits and bobs, but I got lazy just before the break and my food spending shot up to £35/40.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Tatty for your fast reply. I am an art history student, how much do you think will I spend on books (course wise not for entertainment) and printer/paper per year? Thanks X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is this expense plan realistic? (Per Year)

Books/Printer: 500
    Phone: 360
    Food: 1150
    Laundry: 360
    Entertainment: 660
    Eating out: 560

That would be a total of £11,110 per year for living in St Andrews. Is it realistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsgp)
    Thank you Tatty for your fast reply. I am an art history student, how much do you think will I spend on books (course wise not for entertainment) and printer/paper per year? Thanks X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I couldn't help you on that one, I'm afraid. I study Medicine so no clue as to how expensive your textbooks would be (although they'd probably be available in the library - it's generally recommended that you don't buy any books until you're here and know what you use a lot).

I have my own printer and probably change the ink once every three weeks (£25/odd), but then I am printing off a lot every day - think anywhere between 10 and 25 pages (in colour).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsgp)

That would be a total of £11,110 per year for living in St Andrews. Is it realistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not a student of St Andrews just yet, but I'm fairly certain you could live like a king on that kinda money. You're really going to spend 30 quid a month on laundry :O

I have a question btw, do Tesco or any big supermarkets do home deliveries to St Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsgp)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Over 9 months? Way too high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you :-) just freaking out a bit about finances...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Roughly how many formal events are there at St. Andrews during the first semester? I'm trying to figure out how much formal wear I should bring with me. Thanks to all who answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDogWoof)
    I'm not a student of St Andrews just yet, but I'm fairly certain you could live like a king on that kinda money. You're really going to spend 30 quid a month on laundry :O

I have a question btw, do Tesco or any big supermarkets do home deliveries to St Andrews?
    Tesco certainly does. Not sure about the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDogWoof)

Pretty much all of them, as Dundee is only 20 minutes down the road.

Asda home delivery seems to be popular with my housemates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    I couldn't help you on that one, I'm afraid. I study Medicine so no clue as to how expensive your textbooks would be (although they'd probably be available in the library - it's generally recommended that you don't buy any books until you're here and know what you use a lot).

I have my own printer and probably change the ink once every three weeks (£25/odd), but then I am printing off a lot every day - think anywhere between 10 and 25 pages (in colour).
    Hi TattyBoJangles, just wondering which accommodation you would recommend as a medic and where majority of medics have usually ended up? Finding so many different opinions everywhere...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do people like Prince William?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lecamel)
    Hi TattyBoJangles, just wondering which accommodation you would recommend as a medic and where majority of medics have usually ended up? Finding so many different opinions everywhere...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot of people seem to end up in Melville, which is literally just round the corner from the medical building.
    There seems to be a fair few in DRA as well.

Personally? Go for the hall type you like the look of. St Andrews is small so wherever you end up won't be that far away anyway, and there will always be other Medics.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people seem to end up in Melville, which is literally just round the corner from the medical building.
    There seems to be a fair few in DRA as well.

Personally? Go for the hall type you like the look of. St Andrews is small so wherever you end up won't be that far away anyway, and there will always be other Medics.
    I hope you don't mind me asking but which hall do you go to and how're you finding it? Thing is there are parts to all halls I like/dislike but yeah, as long as there isn't one you would warn against I guess I shall just go for my catering preferences and wait and see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lecamel)
    I hope you don't mind me asking but which hall do you go to and how're you finding it? Thing is there are parts to all halls I like/dislike but yeah, as long as there isn't one you would warn against I guess I shall just go for my catering preferences and wait and see
    I live in Albany Park and I chose it because a) I didn't want catered (don't want to feel like a child - I can look after myself), b) I didn't want any chance of getting a shared room, ugh and c) I couldn't afford the other non-catered accommodation.

I find it.. fine. I never have been one to be fussed about where I live, aha.

I can't really advise about other halls as I don't know enough about them, but yeah, just choose based on your preferences.
    There are only a few other Medics in my year in Albany - and I live in a house with all non-medics - but that doesn't bother me at all. Keeps me out of the 'Medic bubble' a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Albany Park and I chose it because a) I didn't want catered (don't want to feel like a child - I can look after myself), b) I didn't want any chance of getting a shared room, ugh and c) I couldn't afford the other non-catered accommodation.

I find it.. fine. I never have been one to be fussed about where I live, aha.

I can't really advise about other halls as I don't know enough about them, but yeah, just choose based on your preferences.
    There are only a few other Medics in my year in Albany - and I live in a house with all non-medics - but that doesn't bother me at all. Keeps me out of the 'Medic bubble' a bit.
    Okey dokes, thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Might be a silly question, but as a Medic, will I be able to study other subject modules too or not?

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of the people from the US attend St Andrews. Do the UK students hate Americans or is it easy to make friends?

ReputationRep:
    I know there are loads of people from the US attending St Andrews. Do the UK students hate Americans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblygummy)
    Might be a silly question, but as a Medic, will I be able to study other subject modules too or not?
    No, medics can only do medicine modules.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.