Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Busteren)
    Wow, 30k a year... Hmm that was quite a lot
    I didn't spend nearly as much as that, a lot of that is maximum values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowthinker)
    Thank you.

I'm a Lithuanian (European) student, so let's hope I get the minimums at the very least You're required a 9 average (We have a 10 point grading system) to get in and I'm currently on 8.7, although I didn't really bother in the first half... (I'm only in grade 10, and they look at grade 11 results).

If it's not a big deal, could you advise me on what I should write in my personal statement? What after-school activities I should go for and should I add in that I finish Musical school and a bunch of courses in programming and web design? (Next year Ill attend a more serious programming school).

In that case you should be fine. Just continue to work hard and it should all be good. Sounds like you're well on your way.

For my personal statement I wrote about how the languages I studied linked into my real day to day life. I think that they want to see your genuine passion for the subject and how it applies to your life. They're looking more for people that are truly passionate about their subjects than people who just get perfect grades, if you see what I mean. Don't get me wrong, they want great grades, but they don't necessarily have to be perfect, as long as you get the minimum grades required. The best pupils are the ones that genuinely love the subject that they're studying.

I think after-school activities are good to put in, but only really if they're relevant to your subject or show a quality in you that supports your university application. For example I did my CELTA (type of TEFL) teaching course after I finished my A-Levels (I applied after a gap year) and it required not only a love of language but also a lot of hard work and dedication that I would need in my university degree.

It's hard to advise exactly what you should put in it, but all I would recommend is putting things in that show them that you're not just a smart kid who does well in exams, but someone that they can work with once you get here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumbles_ubamba)
    How does it work with textbooks in arts subjects like IR and Modern History? I know there is a supplemental reading list, but is there usually a primary book that you have to buy for each course?
    For IR1005, the first module, there are two required texts: Issues in International Relations and the Globalisation of World Politic and fthe first Modern History module there's no specific boook but Europe in the 16th century is generally a good read and covers all bases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbrookeburton)
    I didn't spend nearly as much as that, a lot of that is maximum values.
    How much would you suggest be average for a student? (Including international fees)

ReputationRep:
    How much would you suggest be average for a student? (Including international fees)
    Being international is freakishly expensive. Between tuition, accommodation, flights, living expenses, course materials - yeah, it adds up to a LOT. I'd say £30K sounds about right. It's not cheap by any means; of course there are ways you can make it slightly less expensive, but you can't shave off too much of that £30K.

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly advise you live in Albany Park. Will cut your accommodation bills by at least half. Failing that Andrew Melville is usually £1k cheaper than the other standard catered halls.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I was wondering about the Fast Track maths course at st Andrews, for any current students that did the further maths and maths A Level. Do you cover much of the further maths course in your first year and when do you get to start learning new course?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if a current student could give me some advice. Basically I submitted the application form for scholarships back in early March. After I completed the application it said that it was successfully submitted. However below it said that if given the reference code SCH_-1, then there was a problem with submission. I did not see this until this evening. I have emailed the Fees and Funding team to inform them of the mistake, but I am pretty worried that as the deadline was April 8 I shall be unable to receive a bursary.

Do any student know of a similar problem? Moreover, how understand are the Fee and Funding team, in your experience?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

I'm a Lithuanian (European) student, so let's hope I get the minimums at the very least You're required a 9 average (We have a 10 point grading system) to get in and I'm currently on 8.7, although I didn't really bother in the first half... (I'm only in grade 10, and they look at grade 11 results).

If it's not a big deal, could you advise me on what I should write in my personal statement? What after-school activities I should go for and should I add in that I finish Musical school and a bunch of courses in programming and web design? (Next year Ill attend a more serious programming school).
    You can find some advice on the personal statement on our web pages at http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/prosp...nal-statements

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has been posted before but here is "The Disorientation Manual", written primarily for North American students. There are sections (e.g. history of the town and uni) that may be interesting for all prospective and matriculating students.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/a...0for%20web.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Who else is starting the new biochemistry masters this year? No one else i know is going here!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I will do my postgraduate studies in Andrews in September and I am looking for an apartment together with my friend. I am not sure about getting a private or university accomondation so I am visiting St Andrews over the weekend of 2nd of May. I have several private viewing appointments in St Andrews and Anstruther but I'd really like to see a DRA studio apartment, which would be the other option. Is there anyone here who would be willing to show us around DRA?
    That would be a great help to decide. Besides it would be really nice to meet some fellow students

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering when should we do the research of private accommodation for year 2015-2016 ? And another question,would I be able to keep a small pet ? I am now finishing the foundation year and hopefully start to first year but I plan to move in my second undergrad year (to live with a small dog of course :p:p)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlaux)
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering when should we do the research of private accommodation for year 2015-2016 ? And another question,would I be able to keep a small pet ? I am now finishing the foundation year and hopefully start to first year but I plan to move in my second undergrad year (to live with a small dog of course :p:p)
    For 15-16 you should probably start looking in Mid January (though many people start earlier). I doubt you'll be able to find a place that will allow a pet in St Andrews; you can go chat with some of the letting offices and see if they've had any properties that allowed animals and keep tabs on whether these become open or not, but it's unlikely. People don't even like renting to students, let alone students with animals.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

So I'd like to ask some questions about the Classics course. I've been doing some research on it and the approach to Classics the uni seems to have appears to be so...vague and superficial... I mean, I'm considering St Andrews because it seems like a great place to be, it has an amazing reputation and I looooove the town, but I'm not so sure about the course itself.

I'm mostly interested in linguistics and literature. My question is, is it gonna be all debates about the role of women in Ancient Greece or can a student of Classics focus entirely on literature and like very specific linguistic stuff? (I mean, things like Indoeuropean, learning about meter, syntax, phonetics, morphology; just working with the original texts...) I just want a good education in Latin and Ancient Greek and I'm not sure I can get that there.

Can any Classics students please tell me a little about this? Thanks in advance, and I really do hope my impressions are all completely misguided.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a distance learning postgrad coming to St A's next week, after a couple of years away. I'm sure not much has changed, but does anyone have any suggestions for a good Thursday night out in St A's, or fancy showing me around?

Hope someone out there has some good ideas!

Jon

ReputationRep:
    What happens when you cannot get accommodation? As in, you were previously living in Albany Park though you could get accommodation there for the next year.

ReputationRep:
    What happens when you cannot get accommodation? As in, you were previously living in Albany Park though you could get accommodation there for the next year.
    You start contacting letting agents and try and find a flat, or see if any of your friends/friends of friends have an open room they need to fill.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends in Albany didn't get back in (they did it on a complete lottery this year) and only found out on Friday where she's living for next year!

ReputationRep:
    There is also the option of living outside St Andrews which usually works out much cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.