The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

I would like to send a few boxes from st Andrews to Paris on 22nd May by rail/road (not by plane), what are the best companies to contact please?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by #dorm24
Sorry if this has already been asked, but what's the deal with "academic families"? We had a presentation at our school and he explained that older students "adopt" first years at the beginning of the year. The way he was talking he made it sound as if it's like the lifeblood of the whole social system, but I don't really understand how the process works?

I wouldn't exactly say it's the "lifeblood" of the whole social scene at St Andrews but your academic family can be a very important part of your time here, especially in your first year. Some people stay friends with their academic parents (and brothers and sisters) until they graduate and others lose touch with them after the famous Raisin weekend chaos, or even before then in some cases. It depends a lot on who adopts you and how much time they have.

How it works is that you get "adopted" by two third years - a mum and a dad - who should (theoretically) be a point of reference for you if you have any problems and help you to settle in during your first semester at St Andrews. Adoption usually happens in Freshers' Week but theoretically you can get parents any time up until Raisin weekend. For Raisin weekend your parents get to dress you up, get you very very drunk and send you on your way to the foam fight in St Salvator's quad. :tongue:
Hello, Im looking for info from current students about how people (males) dress at St As
I am a jeans and sweater guy so I would like to know if it would be convenient for me to buy a couple of shirts or smn
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Univman
Hello, Im looking for info from current students about how people (males) dress at St As
I am a jeans and sweater guy so I would like to know if it would be convenient for me to buy a couple of shirts or smn
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, wear whatever you want :tongue:
Original post by Univman
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wear whatever the heck you want. Though it'd be useful to have a dress shirt, tie, and dress pants if you think you might want to go to any balls/dressy events. Also if you plan to dress in layers, that makes life easier as the weather changes every 20 minutes or so.
What cell phone provider has the best coverage in Saint Andrews? (for both talking and data)
Hi ~ Is anyone able to tell me what the Russian / Classics / Latin department is like !
Should I consider St Andrews as it is one of few who offer these together :^)
Thanks
Original post by meadowgrl
Hi ~ Is anyone able to tell me what the Russian / Classics / Latin department is like !
Thanks

Hi, I've just finished my first year doing German, Beginner's Russian and Modern History and I can't rate the Russian department highly enough! They are helpful and approachable, which is really important for beginners. The grammar lectures and tutorials and oral classes are taught particularly well, and classes are small which is good. The only problem I've had is with the mixed ability nature of the classes, especially in oral, as some people in my classes are at a higher standard than most people due to the closeness of their first language to Russian or they have a GCSE in it, but that's unavoidable really, as the department is too small to offer an advanced beginner's class in first year (or so the head of department told me). But overall, my experience has been really positive :smile: I can't speak for Latin or Classics, but I hope this has helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have griff gaff running on O2 and I haven't had any problems. Of course in many of the kid buildings there isn't service for anyone but the uni has wifi all over town so whenever you're near one of their buildings you'll get the wifi!
Original post by meadowgrl
Thanks

Can't speak for Russian or Latin, but I took classics as an extra subject. I think the material was quite interesting and 50-75% of the lectures were well taught, if a little disorganised. The first year tutors really lacked interest though. My 2nd semester tutor spent most of the tutorials complaining that none of us spoke Latin and how much she hated the material (also the 1st year tutorials for Classics and Ancient history are massive by St Andrews' standards). The only person I know who was doing classics as a degree made a last minute decision to switch to straight history, but I'm not sure what the honours classics modules/tutorials are like.
Original post by hannah_lou
Hi, I've just finished my first year doing German, Beginner's Russian and Modern History and I can't rate the Russian department highly enough! They are helpful and approachable, which is really important for beginners. The grammar lectures and tutorials and oral classes are taught particularly well, and classes are small which is good. The only problem I've had is with the mixed ability nature of the classes, especially in oral, as some people in my classes are at a higher standard than most people due to the closeness of their first language to Russian or they have a GCSE in it, but that's unavoidable really, as the department is too small to offer an advanced beginner's class in first year (or so the head of department told me). But overall, my experience has been really positive :smile: I can't speak for Latin or Classics, but I hope this has helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! This helped a lot as I am trying to decide whether to take Russian :smile:
Original post by ElizabethRG
Can't speak for Russian or Latin, but I took classics as an extra subject. I think the material was quite interesting and 50-75% of the lectures were well taught, if a little disorganised. The first year tutors really lacked interest though. My 2nd semester tutor spent most of the tutorials complaining that none of us spoke Latin and how much she hated the material (also the 1st year tutorials for Classics and Ancient history are massive by St Andrews' standards). The only person I know who was doing classics as a degree made a last minute decision to switch to straight history, but I'm not sure what the honours classics modules/tutorials are like.

Ahhh I see ! The classics content does look interesting! Thanks for the info :biggrin:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes anyway.
Long story short, I'm quite worried about meeting the conditions of my offer. However, if I do miss it it should only be a small margin and I've got an offer for Comparative Literature and Classics, which I can't imagine is too competitive of a course (I'm hoping it isn't anyway haha). Has anyone heard of a student being accepted even if s/he didn't meet his offer? Do you have any idea what the likelihood of me being accepted would be? If it makes any difference, I passed my senior year with all 5s (all As in the UK system).
Thanks to anyone who answers :smile:
Reply 8693
Original post by LadyStardust2992
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes anyway.
Long story short, I'm quite worried about meeting the conditions of my offer. However, if I do miss it it should only be a small margin and I've got an offer for Comparative Literature and Classics, which I can't imagine is too competitive of a course (I'm hoping it isn't anyway haha). Has anyone heard of a student being accepted even if s/he didn't meet his offer? Do you have any idea what the likelihood of me being accepted would be? If it makes any difference, I passed my senior year with all 5s (all As in the UK system).
Thanks to anyone who answers :smile:

If you got all 5's on your AP's, what part of the conditional offer will you not meet??
Original post by nml181
If you got all 5's on your AP's, what part of the conditional offer will you not meet??

Oh I'm not American haha. I'm Croatian and my conditional offer is to get a 5 overall on the Državna Matura (the Croatian national leavening exam), which I'm worried I won't get. What I meant is that at the end of my senior year I had a 5 in each subject; my GPA was 5,0 (1 being the lowest possible grade and 5 the highest). I'm not familiar enough with the UK education system to know if that makes any difference, but I mentioned it anyway in case it does :smile:
Reply 8695
Original post by LadyStardust2992
Oh I'm not American haha. I'm Croatian and my conditional offer is to get a 5 overall on the Državna Matura (the Croatian national leavening exam), which I'm worried I won't get. What I meant is that at the end of my senior year I had a 5 in each subject; my GPA was 5,0 (1 being the lowest possible grade and 5 the highest). I'm not familiar enough with the UK education system to know if that makes any difference, but I mentioned it anyway in case it does :smile:

I'm sure you will do fine! :wink:
Original post by nml181
I'm sure you will do fine! :wink:

Haha thank you :smile: I really really hope so :/
Hey here :smile:

I just got an offer for the "Applied Statistics and Data-Mining"-course. Anyone who can tell me a little more about the course, the departement etc.? Id love to hear some personal stories. Do they have good business connections?
Also, postgraduate life in St. Andrews?
I am originally from a bigger city but have studied in smaller "student-town" during my bachelor's course. I originally planed to move to a bigger city for my master's, but the program in St. Andrews is so very appealing and I love being close to the sea. But to me it feels like I am so far away from everything??!! Anyway, I'd love to come over and visit St. Andrews for a couple of days to get an impressions, but would be so happy to get a few comments on this.
Reply 8698
Hi,

So I have an unconditional offer from St Andrews which I have firmed so will defiantly be going in September - so excited :biggrin: but I have a couple of questions I was wondering if anyone could answer;

Firstly, is there a way to get post/packages delivered to your accommodation if you're staying in halls?

Which network provider is best for the area, or are they all the same?

How do you get a letter for proof of address for changing your bank account details?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bbrey
Hi,

So I have an unconditional offer from St Andrews which I have firmed so will defiantly be going in September - so excited :biggrin: but I have a couple of questions I was wondering if anyone could answer;

Firstly, is there a way to get post/packages delivered to your accommodation if you're staying in halls?

Which network provider is best for the area, or are they all the same?

How do you get a letter for proof of address for changing your bank account details?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but you can't get things delivered till you arrive at halls, You obviously need your offer of accommodation first

O2 is pretty good, rarely fails me.

You have to log onto eVision using your St Andrews account details

Latest

Trending

Trending