Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbrey)
    Hi,

So I have an unconditional offer from St Andrews which I have firmed so will defiantly be going in September - so excited but I have a couple of questions I was wondering if anyone could answer;

Firstly, is there a way to get post/packages delivered to your accommodation if you're staying in halls?

Which network provider is best for the area, or are they all the same?

How do you get a letter for proof of address for changing your bank account details?

Thank you so much in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but you can't get things delivered till you arrive at halls, You obviously need your offer of accommodation first

O2 is pretty good, rarely fails me.

You have to log onto eVision using your St Andrews account details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lepetitsinge)
    Hey here

I just got an offer for the "Applied Statistics and Data-Mining"-course. Anyone who can tell me a little more about the course, the departement etc.? Id love to hear some personal stories. Do they have good business connections?
    Also, postgraduate life in St. Andrews?
    I am originally from a bigger city but have studied in smaller "student-town" during my bachelor's course. I originally planed to move to a bigger city for my master's, but the program in St. Andrews is so very appealing and I love being close to the sea. But to me it feels like I am so far away from everything??!! Anyway, I'd love to come over and visit St. Andrews for a couple of days to get an impressions, but would be so happy to get a few comments on this.
    You aren't really that far from everything. Dundee half an hour, Edinburgh an hour, it's not that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Yes but you can't get things delivered till you arrive at halls, You obviously need your offer of accommodation first

O2 is pretty good, rarely fails me.

You have to log onto eVision using your St Andrews account details

Thanks for the reply Calllum

So when you're in your hall stuff gets delivered to a pick up point or ? How does it work?

Are there any big black spots at St Andrews or is it generally good for signal? I went to boarding school in Sussex and the whole campus was a black hole for me on Vodafone.

So your log in gives you a proof of address to take to the bank?

Thanks so much, sorry to be a pain. What are you studying? Do you enjoy st Andrews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbrey)
    Thanks for the reply Calllum

So when you're in your hall stuff gets delivered to a pick up point or ? How does it work?

Are there any big black spots at St Andrews or is it generally good for signal? I went to boarding school in Sussex and the whole campus was a black hole for me on Vodafone.

So your log in gives you a proof of address to take to the bank?

Thanks so much, sorry to be a pain. What are you studying? Do you enjoy st Andrews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on the hall. For me there were pigeon holes and an office to pick parcels up from.

Not that I can think of. I was at boarding school too and I had that problem in my boarding house with O2 but it's fine now

No you have to generate a bank letter. It's quite straightforward

I study IR and Arabic and yeah I love it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the hall. For me there were pigeon holes and an office to pick parcels up from.

Not that I can think of. I was at boarding school too and I had that problem in my boarding house with O2 but it's fine now

No you have to generate a bank letter. It's quite straightforward

I study IR and Arabic and yeah I love it.
    Which hall were you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Which hall were you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Regs

ReputationRep:
    So it seems like there isn't 4G coverage in St Andrews. http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/which-...best-coverage/

Although the UK survey seems to suggest EE is best overall, its signal strength in St A does not seem to be great (if you go to its site and enter post code).....O2 seems to have better signal. Can anyone comment on this, especially mobile signals indoors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nml181)
    So it seems like there isn't 4G coverage in St Andrews. http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/which-...best-coverage/

Although the UK survey seems to suggest EE is best overall, its signal strength in St A does not seem to be great (if you go to its site and enter post code).....O2 seems to have better signal. Can anyone comment on this, especially mobile signals indoors?
    There isn't 4G coverage in most places in the UK, it'll cover everywhere eventually. Only Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland are covered. O2 is fine in most places

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking of applying to St. Andrews next year and I was wondering, does anyone know what the workload is like for English in comparison to other universities? Do you get set an essay a week like at Oxbridge, or is it more 2/3 a term like at Warwick? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    How would everyone recommend getting belongings to st andrews, I'm from London so I don't think I'll be able to drive stuff up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioheadHermie)
    How would everyone recommend getting belongings to st andrews, I'm from London so I don't think I'll be able to drive stuff up...
    My friend from London had her parents drive her stuff up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethanyMary)
    Hi, I'm thinking of applying to St. Andrews next year and I was wondering, does anyone know what the workload is like for English in comparison to other universities? Do you get set an essay a week like at Oxbridge, or is it more 2/3 a term like at Warwick? Thanks in advance
    2 essays per term for English but then you have your outside modules so you may have to do up to 6 or 7 essays a term. I did IR history and Arabic and had 6 essays for history over the year and 4 for IR

ReputationRep:
    2 essays per term for English but then you have your outside modules so you may have to do up to 6 or 7 essays a term. I did IR history and Arabic and had 6 essays for history over the year and 4 for IR
    Thanks for answering so quickly cool, that sounds like a nice amount.

ReputationRep:
    Hello History of Art students! I have a few course related questions, and I would be grateful to you for your help.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth getting a NUS extra card? Seem to get discounts from various merchants....

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth getting a NUS extra card? Seem to get discounts from various merchants....
    We aren't in the NUS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Midlander;48454584]We aren't in the NUS

Well why the @#$%^&* not? What's the downside? What's the history and politics behind this? :confused:

ReputationRep:

Well why the @#$%^&* not? What's the downside? What's the history and politics behind this? :confused:
    The students voted against it 2 years ago. It can be hugely costly to be a member of NUS, and for universities like St Andrews offers a very poor value for money, and representation, as it's likely to be driven by raging lefties at much larger universities like Manchester and Edinburgh. We'd only get 3 delegates out of 1200 so we'd have no real input. We provide many of the services NUS offers already, so it'd basically be burning money that could be going elsewhere. Further, some of the actions taken by the NUS in the last decade or so have been embarrassing. The St Andrews matriculation card offers many of the same discounts as the NUS card, we're better off not being affiliated.

ReputationRep:
    The students voted against it 2 years ago. It can be hugely costly to be a member of NUS, and for universities like St Andrews offers a very poor value for money, and representation, as it's likely to be driven by raging lefties at much larger universities like Manchester and Edinburgh. We'd only get 3 delegates out of 1200 so we'd have no real input. We provide many of the services NUS offers already, so it'd basically be burning money that could be going elsewhere. Further, some of the actions taken by the NUS in the last decade or so have been embarrassing. The St Andrews matriculation card offers many of the same discounts as the NUS card, we're better off not being affiliated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    No problem. It won't really make a difference. I've not felt I've missed out on an NUS card

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.