The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gabrielxucram

Thank you for the reply. I got accepted to IR and Econ but changed to IR and Philosophy post offer. Anything you could tell me about the IR department?

I thought the average number of UCAS points was in the mid 400's and that's what worried me. Knowing that it is 516 puts me at ease.

I was mostly joking about Americans but they do tend to be... Well... Americans. Nevertheless, they are not a deal breaker.

The town's size doesn't really bother me. I am looking for a university town anyway, so if St Andrews is that, I am fine with it.

What do you want to know about the IR department?

Nah, IR has the 3rd highest entry standard and Philosophy has the 5th highest in the country.

Hahah well IR is swarmed with Americans so if you find them annoying then...
But if you're not a fan of them, sure you could avoid them outside of your studies.

Great! If you like golf then St As would be great for you.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Capricancer
What do you want to know about the IR department?

Nah, IR has the 3rd highest entry standard and Philosophy has the 5th highest in the country.

Hahah well IR is swarmed with Americans so if you find them annoying then...
But if you're not a fan of them, sure you could avoid them outside of your studies.

Great! If you like golf then St As would be great for you.

Is there a lot of contact with professors or PhD students or is it mostly self studying? Are we taught mostly by staff or PhD students? Are there tutorials and, if yes, are they small or large?

I saw that in some classes students are assessed by classwork. What kind of classwork is that? Essays, participation?

Are the first year lectures interesting, demanding?

Haha I don't mean to sound intolerant of Americans. It's just that, although I'm not American, I was educated there and actually am going to university in Britain to run away from that country lol.

I'm not into sports but I'm into green fields so I guess watching people play works for me!
Hey,

I'm thinking of applying for 2017 entry (taking a gap year), and I was just wondering if anybody could tell me a bit more about how you choose extra modules from other subjects in your first year, and how much flexibility you have with that. Are there only certain combinations that work? Do you take the same subjects in first/second year?

Original post by LamantChenille
Hey,

I'm thinking of applying for 2017 entry (taking a gap year), and I was just wondering if anybody could tell me a bit more about how you choose extra modules from other subjects in your first year, and how much flexibility you have with that. Are there only certain combinations that work? Do you take the same subjects in first/second year?

Technically you can take whatever you like as long as it fits your schedule. Of course, you have to take the core subject necessary for your degree (I did History, so I had to take a certain # of credits of history courses over first and second year), but aside from that, you can take whatever you're interested in (IR is a dicey one though, if it's not part of your degree you're not guaranteed a place in the course. Everything else is just a matter of fitting it into your schedule).

Some people take the same courses in first and second year; I took Medieval History as long as it was available, but took Ancient History and Classics in 1st year, and Modern History and Church History in 2nd year. That's pretty consistent, but lots of people take modules that are all over the place. So there's a fair amount of flexibility. Certain combinations make more sense than others, but they're not mandatory (though again this can depend on the subject's credit requirements and pre-requisites for Honours courses). If there's a course you want to take in 1st year but can't fit it in, you can go back and take it in 2nd year. Take a look at this: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/ug/
Are there any medical students from St Andrews lurking around here? I'd like to know how flexible they are with their offers, because I've missed an aspect of my offer by a small margin while meeting all other requirements and I'm really worried about the likelihood they'll accept me...
Are the girls mostly white?

Are the girls attractive?
What are the academic requirements for St. Andrews? GCSEs & A Levels?
Is this university prestigious? I have acknowledged it's reputation due to how long it has been standing for.
What do they look for in applications?
Is the accommodation expensive?
Much appreciation.
Original post by tsulala
Are there any medical students from St Andrews lurking around here? I'd like to know how flexible they are with their offers, because I've missed an aspect of my offer by a small margin while meeting all other requirements and I'm really worried about the likelihood they'll accept me...

What have you missed & how much by?
I'm a med student at St Andrews, I'll help if I can, but I still don't know all that much about how lenient they are likely to be.
As a general rule med schools don't need to accept people who have missed their offers as they are so oversubscribed and give more offers than they have spaces so allow for people missing their offers.
The only way to know for sure is to call them.
Original post by inachigeek21
What are the academic requirements for St. Andrews? GCSEs & A Levels?

When I applied you need C or higher in Maths and English Language GCSE. A-level grades need to be whatever they give as a guideline and vary per subject and faculty.

Is this university prestigious? I have acknowledged it's reputation due to how long it has been standing for.

A degree from St Andrews is not to be sniffed at. Whilst it may not have the immediate name recognition that Oxbridge has, generally the university is considered prestigious. We have often ranked very well in the league tables.

What do they look for in applications?

This varies per faculty and department. But enthusiasm for the subject you're applying for is a good start, especially if you can demonstrate that enthusiasm with things you have done/read/learnt etc.

Is the accommodation expensive?

Annoyingly, yes. No point in sugar coating it. But during my degree I don't know of anyone who hasn't managed to find somewhere to live and been out of pocket because of it, though a couple have commuted in from Dundee.

Hope that answers some things for you. :smile:
If you can order bedding from Tesco direct you can have it sent as a click and collect order to their Tesco express store in Market Street St Andrews. They hold the items for 14 days so no need to order till 3-4 days before needed. I often order goods this way to send to my daughter in St Andrews.
Hope this helps
Original post by Helsy
When I applied you need C or higher in Maths and English Language GCSE. A-level grades need to be whatever they give as a guideline and vary per subject and faculty.

A degree from St Andrews is not to be sniffed at. Whilst it may not have the immediate name recognition that Oxbridge has, generally the university is considered prestigious. We have often ranked very well in the league tables.

This varies per faculty and department. But enthusiasm for the subject you're applying for is a good start, especially if you can demonstrate that enthusiasm with things you have done/read/learnt etc.

Annoyingly, yes. No point in sugar coating it. But during my degree I don't know of anyone who hasn't managed to find somewhere to live and been out of pocket because of it, though a couple have commuted in from Dundee.

Hope that answers some things for you. :smile:

Very much appreciated.
Although are any PhD programmes offered for any of the sciences? I was considering neuropharmacology/ neuroscience.
Is the department of neuroscience any good/ natural sciences?
Oh, and from your opinion, is St. Andrews better or equivalent to Edinburgh university? I'm contemplating between both, as both are such excellent universities!
Original post by theresheglows
What have you missed & how much by?
I'm a med student at St Andrews, I'll help if I can, but I still don't know all that much about how lenient they are likely to be.
As a general rule med schools don't need to accept people who have missed their offers as they are so oversubscribed and give more offers than they have spaces so allow for people missing their offers.
The only way to know for sure is to call them.

Hi! Thank you for replying!

I should probably mention that I'm an international student, and I do the IB. The offer St Andrews gave me was to achieve 38/45 points, and a minimum of 6 in every single subject, except for Chemistry - I was expected to get a level 7 (highest grade). In the end, my final results were 41/45, with a 6 in everything, and a 7 in Biology and 7 in English Lit. And yes, I failed to get a 7 in Chemistry - even more frustratingly, by 2% according to my component grades.I've called the university, but they told me to wait until mid-August when people who take A-levels get their results. I'm honestly really scared at the moment and I get the feeling I'm going to be extremely devastated when I find out their decision.

I'm so sorry for the long message! It really helps to type it all out though, so thank you very much :smile:
Original post by inachigeek21
Very much appreciated.
Although are any PhD programmes offered for any of the sciences? I was considering neuropharmacology/ neuroscience.
Is the department of neuroscience any good/ natural sciences?
Oh, and from your opinion, is St. Andrews better or equivalent to Edinburgh university? I'm contemplating between both, as both are such excellent universities!

There are typically PhD options in all fields, details of which you can read about on the postgraduate pages of the university website.

I don't know anything specific about neuro; my experience has mostly been with the maths and physics & astronomy departments - both of which are excellent and filled with incredible lecturers.

Both Edinburgh and St Andrews are probably on a par for their level of teaching and research. Main differences are that Edinburgh is city based and St Andrews is very small, with matching student numbers. Both are good on paper, but to get a sensible idea for what they are like you should really visit and talk to people in the departments. I fell in love with St Andrews on my first open day, in a way that I didn't do with any of the others.
Original post by cora06140
Hi, question from a foreign parent whose daughter is now offline for 3 months and will start at St Andrews in September. Want to make sure we have things sorted as there will be little time between her return and time to leave for uni.

Other than your clothes, what should you bring when you come over? She will be flying in, so wondering how much might be needed. We don't yet know her accommodation but assume that we can go to Dundee and buy all necessary bedding, etc. Or are the UniKitOut website packs any good?

Also need to check what happens during Fresher's week - any balls for which ballgowns or such attire might be needed and if so, are they easy to hire or should you plan to bring one with you? Anything else one needs to look out for or book in advance, etc.

And finally, are uni red gowns readily available - do you need to purchase one as soon as you arrive, are they needed immediately? I have read you can find them second hand, so will look out for this too.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your help!

If you can order bedding from Tesco direct you can have it sent as a click and collect order to their Tesco express store in Market Street St Andrews. They hold the items for 14 days so no need to order till 3-4 days before needed. I often order goods this way to send to my daughter in St Andrews.Hope this helps
Original post by tsulala
Hi! Thank you for replying!

I should probably mention that I'm an international student, and I do the IB. The offer St Andrews gave me was to achieve 38/45 points, and a minimum of 6 in every single subject, except for Chemistry - I was expected to get a level 7 (highest grade). In the end, my final results were 41/45, with a 6 in everything, and a 7 in Biology and 7 in English Lit. And yes, I failed to get a 7 in Chemistry - even more frustratingly, by 2% according to my component grades.I've called the university, but they told me to wait until mid-August when people who take A-levels get their results. I'm honestly really scared at the moment and I get the feeling I'm going to be extremely devastated when I find out their decision.

I'm so sorry for the long message! It really helps to type it all out though, so thank you very much :smile:

No problem :smile:
Wow, that's a tricky one. Firstly, well done on your IB results, 41 is excellent!
It's difficult to know what decision they will make. It is possible that your high overall grade and the fact that you only missed the 7 in chemistry by 2% (let them know this if you haven't already) may help. It will partly depend on how oversubscribed they were for 2015 intake; and possibly on the rest of your application and interview performance.

I'm glad it's helped you to to talk about it. I know it's hard not to stress, but it's not going to help you as there's nothing you can do about it at the moment; try to do things that will take your mind off it like seeing friends or exercising.

Do you have an insurance offer from somewhere that accepts a 6 in chemistry just in case?
I read somewhere that the bedding you can order through the university is poor quality, can someone confirm this?
I cannot bring my own duvet and pillow and I am not entirely sure I have time to buy it in St Andrews on the first day, so it would really be convenient to order it through the uni and have it delivered at the house...
Original post by Elinen
I read somewhere that the bedding you can order through the university is poor quality, can someone confirm this?
I cannot bring my own duvet and pillow and I am not entirely sure I have time to buy it in St Andrews on the first day, so it would really be convenient to order it through the uni and have it delivered at the house...

I heard from people who ordered them that they weren't nice! If you are living in a house rather than in halls it is moot anyway, the bedding packs are for within halls. You can order bedding from an online store (Argos, Ikea etc) and have it delivered to your house, a lot of people do this.
Also Tesco in town often have pillows, towels & some other household stuff in stock at the beginning of term (can't remember if they have duvets as well though, but possible).
Original post by theresheglows
I heard from people who ordered them that they weren't nice! If you are living in a house rather than in halls it is moot anyway, the bedding packs are for within halls. You can order bedding from an online store (Argos, Ikea etc) and have it delivered to your house, a lot of people do this.
Also Tesco in town often have pillows, towels & some other household stuff in stock at the beginning of term (can't remember if they have duvets as well though, but possible).

Thanks for the info! I guess I wasn't very clear by saying 'house', I will actually be staying in uni accommodation. I will definitely look into other delivering options, I just need to make sure I have everything on the first night...
Original post by ElizabethRG
Technically you can take whatever you like as long as it fits your schedule. Of course, you have to take the core subject necessary for your degree (I did History, so I had to take a certain # of credits of history courses over first and second year), but aside from that, you can take whatever you're interested in (IR is a dicey one though, if it's not part of your degree you're not guaranteed a place in the course. Everything else is just a matter of fitting it into your schedule).

Some people take the same courses in first and second year; I took Medieval History as long as it was available, but took Ancient History and Classics in 1st year, and Modern History and Church History in 2nd year. That's pretty consistent, but lots of people take modules that are all over the place. So there's a fair amount of flexibility. Certain combinations make more sense than others, but they're not mandatory (though again this can depend on the subject's credit requirements and pre-requisites for Honours courses). If there's a course you want to take in 1st year but can't fit it in, you can go back and take it in 2nd year. Take a look at this: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/ug/

Thanks for this, really helpful :smile:
Original post by Elinen
Thanks for the info! I guess I wasn't very clear by saying 'house', I will actually be staying in uni accommodation. I will definitely look into other delivering options, I just need to make sure I have everything on the first night...

A poster further back (Suzie65) said about ordering from Tesco Direct and collecting from Tesco Express in Market Street, seems like a really good idea :-)
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending