Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzie65)
    Maths does not appear to be a requirement for entry into Chemistry or Geology, but is mearly a benefit if you have it, from the chemistry point of view. A lack of maths would not hinder a pure Geology application, as your subjects meet all requirements. Having studied A level geology is a huge benefit for applying to geology alone, as the majority of geologists in St Andrews have never studied it before as it is not even offered as a subject in Scottish high schools now, so maths and other science subjects are what matters for such applicants without prior geology experience. From my perspective, your subjects provide a much stronger application for Geology alone, where you could easily pick up chemistry as an extra subject and change to joint honours (or even single honours chemistry) before 3rd year. You may even be eligible for direct 2nd year entry to geology, (that's not to say I would recommend it though!)
    perhaps geology alone would be the more sensible option, it also carries the RGS accreditation i think, which the Geology and Chemistry course did not.
    Thank you for helping with the confusing entry requirements!

ReputationRep:
    I have a transport question: a friend and I would love to go to a certain concert in Edinburgh while I am in St Andrews. However, I decided to look at the transport options back to St Andrews and I cannot find anything after 23:30, which we probably can't make. Are there really no night busses/trains to St Andrews/Leuchars? I am looking for transport on a thursday.

ReputationRep:
    Return train tickets form Nottingham to Leuchars are £300, how on earth do I get to the open day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NimbleNeil)
    Return train tickets form Nottingham to Leuchars are £300, how on earth do I get to the open day?
    Would flying to Edinburgh be cheaper? I managed to get flights from Edinburgh to cambridge for £12 return so may be you'll be able to do the same for St Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elinen)
    I have a transport question: a friend and I would love to go to a certain concert in Edinburgh while I am in St Andrews. However, I decided to look at the transport options back to St Andrews and I cannot find anything after 23:30, which we probably can't make. Are there really no night busses/trains to St Andrews/Leuchars? I am looking for transport on a thursday.

No it is unlikely there will be public transport that late. I'd advise booking into a hostel in Edinburgh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Elinen)
    Just get a hostel in Edi for the night and get an early train the next morning. You can get hostel beds for like £10/night.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't know where you're getting £300 from, an Off Peak Return is £145.80. That's still expensive I admit, so as a general life lesson if you want cheaper train tickets you need to book Advance Singles. They restrict you to traveling on a specific train on a specifc day at a specific time. For example, you can do:

Date Depart Arrive change(s) Price
    Tue 29/09/2015 10:17 Nottingham 16:24 Leuchars 2 £60.50
    Thu 01/10/2015 09:21 Leuchars 15:27 Nottingham 2 £48.10

Which makes it a little bit cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    I don't know where you're getting £300 from, an Off Peak Return is £145.80. That's still expensive I admit, so as a general life lesson if you want cheaper train tickets you need to book Advance Singles. They restrict you to traveling on a specific train on a specifc day at a specific time. For example, you can do:

With a 16-25 railcard I can see returns for £96.25....
    It might also be worth exploring the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston. OK, you have to go down to London first, but it saves the cost of an overnight stay in St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)

Can't get accommodation on my own as I'm not 18 so I'd have to go with a family member.
    I'm not aware of any places where a lone 17 year old can get a room.

Might not go at all now that I've found out Scottish degrees are a year longer too, disaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldlady)
    With a 16-25 railcard I can see returns for £96.25....
    It might also be worth exploring the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston. OK, you have to go down to London first, but it saves the cost of an overnight stay in St Andrews

That does sound a lot nicer actually, especially for the years actually at the university when I'd be getting good use out of it but discovering the bachelors is 4 years is so off-putting. St Andrews was my number 1 up until that point ;(

ReputationRep:
    Can't get accommodation on my own as I'm not 18 so I'd have to go with a family member.
    I'm not aware of any places where a lone 17 year old can get a room.

Might not go at all now that I've found out Scottish degrees are a year longer too, disaster
    That does sound a lot nicer actually, especially for the years actually at the university when I'd be getting good use out of it but discovering the bachelors is 4 years is so off-putting. St Andrews was my number 1 up until that point ;(
    You could stay at the youth hostel in St Andrews? http://reservations.bookhostels.com/standrewshostel/
    Could also try emailing admissions to see if you could stay with a student.

You could also straight to 2nd year if you study the following subjects: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug.../direct-entry/ What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody,

Quick question to all of you current students. Today I was allocated a catered ensuite twin room. Does a twin room mean I get a roommate? Just want to be positive.

Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    also, would be really great if i could get a quick response on this. since freshers golden tickets go on sale tomorrow, is it worth it to purchase? if i don't purchase them will i be unable to go to any of the events? i saw that a lot of big stuff like sinners, clan warfare, and starfields isn't included in the price... and a lot of these union events overlap with those, so obviously it looks like if i purchase everything i will be spending excessive amounts of money... any opinions??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    You could stay at the youth hostel in St Andrews? http://reservations.bookhostels.com/standrewshostel/
    Could also try emailing admissions to see if you could stay with a student.

You could also straight to 2nd year if you study the following subjects: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug.../direct-entry/ What are you studying?
    Geography, Geology and Chemistry, I am really unsure of whether I can even apply or not as the prospectus entry requirements seems to be different to that shown on the website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luxemjuxem)
    Hey everybody,

Quick question to all of you current students. Today I was allocated a catered ensuite twin room. Does a twin room mean I get a roommate? Just want to be positive.

Thanks all.
    I think twin means it's shared - best to check with accommodation office though. You can just buy individual tickets to the events you want to go to, but it'd be cheaper to buy a golden ticket (providing you want to go to all the events).

Geography, Geology and Chemistry, I am really unsure of whether I can even apply or not as the prospectus entry requirements seems to be different to that shown on the website.
    Oh so you wanna do 3 subjects - think you'd have to enter 1st year to do that. The 2016 prospectus is the most up to date one - what is the difference in entry requirements?

ReputationRep:
    I think twin means it's shared - best to check with accommodation office though. You can just buy individual tickets to the events you want to go to, but it'd be cheaper to buy a golden ticket (providing you want to go to all the events).

Oh so you wanna do 3 subjects - think you'd have to enter 1st year to do that. The 2016 prospectus is the most up to date one - what is the difference in entry requirements?
    Ohh I thought you meant what A level subjects i was doing.

I am intending on applying for the geology and Chemistry combined honours degree, or the Bsc Geology single honours. The subjects I previously lsited are my A levels.

The difference is that on the website it says I must have Chemistry + 1 from either maths, Biology or Physics, Whereas the prospectus says I can also have geography and geology counting towards my requirements.

Judging by the website I can't get in, judging by the prospectus I have 3/2 required subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh I thought you meant what A level subjects i was doing.

I am intending on applying for the geology and Chemistry combined honours degree, or the Bsc Geology single honours. The subjects I previously lsited are my A levels.

The difference is that on the website it says I must have Chemistry + 1 from either maths, Biology or Physics, Whereas the prospectus says I can also have geography and geology counting towards my requirements.

Judging by the website I can't get in, judging by the prospectus I have 3/2 required subjects!
    If you're wanting to study Bsc Geology and Bsc Geology & Chemistry (it's listed as a joint degree), the prospectus says that there is 2nd year entry (pg. 86 of prospectus):

Second Year EntrySQA Advanced Highers/Highers and GCE A-Levels should include Geology plus two sciences from Biology, Chemistry,Mathematics and Physics SQA Advanced Highers: AA and AA in two other Highers GCE A-Levels: AAA
    You could try emailing admissions to double check about the subjects but I think the prospectus should have the most up to date information

ReputationRep:
    If you're wanting to study Bsc Geology and Bsc Geology & Chemistry (it's listed as a joint degree), the prospectus says that there is 2nd year entry (pg. 86 of prospectus):

You could try emailing admissions to double check about the subjects but I think the prospectus should have the most up to date information
    Unfortunately my A level subjects, Geology, Chemistry and Geography wouldn't allow for 2nd year entrance ;(
    I have contacted the Earth sciences contact as specified on the prospectus but have had no response yet, it's been over a week so i don't know whether to try again or just wait!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately my A level subjects, Geology, Chemistry and Geography wouldn't allow for 2nd year entrance ;(
    I have contacted the Earth sciences contact as specified on the prospectus but have had no response yet, it's been over a week so i don't know whether to try again or just wait!
    As it is results time (just had scottish, English next week), the departments will be very busy, in addition to resits being this month. I'd wait another week, then just send another mail- you still have a long time for your application! I wouldn't stress too much at this point though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey everybody,

Thanks all.
    Yes, twin means shared. There aren't many twin ensuites around (ABH and DRA have a couple I think?).

also, would be really great if i could get a quick response on this. since freshers golden tickets go on sale tomorrow, is it worth it to purchase? if i don't purchase them will i be unable to go to any of the events? i saw that a lot of big stuff like sinners, clan warfare, and starfields isn't included in the price... and a lot of these union events overlap with those, so obviously it looks like if i purchase everything i will be spending excessive amounts of money... any opinions??
    My personal opinion is that golden ticket is not worth it. You will be able to buy individual tickets for the Union events later, and it's really unlikely that you'll want to go to all the Union events.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.