The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm starting Sustainable Development this year and I wonder how and where students usually get their literature from, as I can't seem to find it... How does one know what you'll need and how to get ahold of it? Do most people wait until term starts to buy it and can you usually buy it second hand from previous students? :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by thesmilingone
Hi! I'm starting Sustainable Development this year and I wonder how and where students usually get their literature from, as I can't seem to find it... How does one know what you'll need and how to get ahold of it? Do most people wait until term starts to buy it and can you usually buy it second hand from previous students? :smile:

Wait until you've had a few lectures to judge whether you think you'll need the recommended books (if there are any). For some modules, the lectures are sufficient, or just occassionally borrowing from the library. For other modules you will want your own copies, but often you do see students selling old copies, or cheap versions in the charity shops.

If you're a person that must have new books then Blackwells in the Union will have copies of all recommended reading.
What do you reckon my chances are for getting an offer to study English at St Andrews with AS results of A B B, the Bs being in English Language and Literature?
Did any of the students here get a place at St Andrews after resitting an A- Level? Personally I suffered depression in my A2 year and was put on a drug that acted in me like a sedative during my AS year. PS it was trying to prevent cardiac arythmias as this suspected cause of a hospital admission shortly before my GCSE. So I struggled on finally getting ABB in my A levels. The problem is I want to study physics and a that was the one of the ones I got a B in. So I am contemplating resitting Physics alongside doing A level further maths from scratch in a year.
Any other people who got A-level results on Thursday and are coming to St andrews not received any information from the university itself or is it just me?
Original post by careyboyle
What do you reckon my chances are for getting an offer to study English at St Andrews with AS results of A B B, the Bs being in English Language and Literature?

I got an offer for international relations with aabb so that's not far off so I'm sure you will stand a chance
Original post by utilitycheese
Any other people who got A-level results on Thursday and are coming to St andrews not received any information from the university itself or is it just me?

I don't think anyone has mate I was talking to people on the Facebook group and apparently it should come within the next few days
Original post by Pacey19
I got an offer for international relations with aabb so that's not far off so I'm sure you will stand a chance

Ah thank you that's gave me hope!

I've only received an email about vaccinations etc, nothing else. I was suprised too, but I guess it's a busy time of year for them!
Hi

I've got a place at St Andrews for this September but I'm a bit worried about Freshers week. I really want to make friends and be sociable but I'm really not into drinking and clubbing, and when I looked online all I could find was stuff about all the club nights at the union. Will there be much else on? I really don't want to just be sat in my room all night...
Original post by sprite23
Hi

I've got a place at St Andrews for this September but I'm a bit worried about Freshers week. I really want to make friends and be sociable but I'm really not into drinking and clubbing, and when I looked online all I could find was stuff about all the club nights at the union. Will there be much else on? I really don't want to just be sat in my room all night...

Hi, I'm pretty much the same tbh, I'm not massively into clubbing either and will only probably go once or twice.

Have you downloaded the app yet? Looking on there it sounds like there are loads of event being organised by different societies which don't necessarily involve clubs/too much drinking but which will probably be a great way to meet people.

PM me if you want to talk about it, I promise I'm nice :smile:

the only thing i've had so far is a generic email about signing up for health servics. I did email the accommodation people asking when people would find out and they said it should be sometime next week. Also it says on the website it can take up to 2 weeks after results day to receive information of your iSaint login and that stuff so I wouldn't worry :smile:
Original post by sprite23
Hi

When I was in halls in first year the committee put on DVD nights as well as the usual alcohol-centred events. In fact I met most of my friend group on a DVD night when everyone else had gone to a pub crawl! So my advice is hang out in the common room even if there is nothing planned - chances are there will be other people around who will be happy to chill out with you. Plus you will meet lots of people through societies so try out as many as take your fancy!
Original post by Emily141
Hi, I'm pretty much the same tbh, I'm not massively into clubbing either and will only probably go once or twice.

Have you downloaded the app yet? Looking on there it sounds like there are loads of event being organised by different societies which don't necessarily involve clubs/too much drinking but which will probably be a great way to meet people.

PM me if you want to talk about it, I promise I'm nice :smile:

Same here! Pop me a message if you want. @Sprite23 you too.
Hi I have been in contact with the geology department and they are very friendly, asked about my AS results and said " excellent", then asked who my teacher was and where I studied. Does this mean they like me?:tongue:
St Andrews it one of the top universities for geology and I love golf, and appreciate the history of the town and love the structure of the degree but I am put off by a few things so I want to ask and see how bad they really are.

Firstly, I live in Nottingham so St Andrews is a good 7 hours by car. Train tickets were over £100 when I last checked and flights were also £60, is the drive that bad?
Secondly, I have seen a few conversations about a lack of student accommodation and the requirement for hiring storage boxes? what's all that about?
And finally, the Bsc degree is 4 years in Scotland so that equates to roughly an extra £21,000 fee. I'm not clever enough to do direct entry into 2nd year as I haven't done three "core" sciences, but if the other two issues aren't as bad as they seem I'd be willing to cough up and spend another year at such a great university.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on getting a part-time job for a first year student in St Andrews? I have very little experience but I have put together a CV, so it would be great if anyone could suggest a few places to apply to, even via PM! thanks
if you have access to isaint there is a part time jobs page under careers, also when you arrive hand your CV into places, as many do advertise in the windows
Original post by NimbleNeil
Hi I have been in contact with the geology department and they are very friendly, asked about my AS results and said " excellent", then asked who my teacher was and where I studied. Does this mean they like me?:tongue:
St Andrews it one of the top universities for geology and I love golf, and appreciate the history of the town and love the structure of the degree but I am put off by a few things so I want to ask and see how bad they really are.

Firstly, I live in Nottingham so St Andrews is a good 7 hours by car. Train tickets were over £100 when I last checked and flights were also £60, is the drive that bad?
Secondly, I have seen a few conversations about a lack of student accommodation and the requirement for hiring storage boxes? what's all that about?
And finally, the Bsc degree is 4 years in Scotland so that equates to roughly an extra £21,000 fee. I'm not clever enough to do direct entry into 2nd year as I haven't done three "core" sciences, but if the other two issues aren't as bad as they seem I'd be willing to cough up and spend another year at such a great university.

The department are indeed an incredibly friendly bunch, and you get to know the staff really well too! Sounds like you would really enjoy St Andrews, but I understand your concerns, hopefully this will help!

7 hours by car does seem far, but in reality you'll only be driving that when you move in and potentially moving home too. Even then, if you make use of storage companies (or even try to store things for free with friends) you'll be able to use trains and fly more often. Having a rail card (you can get one for free if you open a student bank account with Santander) and booking trains in advance makes things a lot cheaper (I found some singles for about £37). The majority of students here travel from all corners of the world, so a 7+ hour trip is common for many.

Student accommodation: 1st years are guaranteed a place in halls, after this you can either re-apply to halls (I've been in halls for 3 years now) or find housing in town. Finding private accommodation has a reputation for being expensive and difficult, but so long as you are open minded; start looking early; and speak to other students who will be graduating (and hence moving out) you can be ahead of the game. A couple of private halls of residence (not university owned) are also opening soon, and so this will help to alleviate the burden. Don't let this put you off, but the worst case scenario would be that you have to live a little further out of St Andrews (perhaps needing a bus), which if you compare to other universities, is not uncommon. I only know of 1 person who has done this.
During summer, you can store your university items with storage companies (who send boxes for you to fill, then collect them and then return them when you're back); within your accommodation (if your landlord approves); or with friends. This saves you from taking everything home with you again, and is popular with many who live further away.

In terms of the 4 year degree, I find it much more reassuring that I spent my first 2 years being able to take classes in other subjects. I have a couple of friends who even changed degrees to one of those other subjects, and it is the flexibility of the 4 year Scottish degrees that easily allow for this. It also gives you the opportunity to enjoy your first year a little bit more, and most importantly for geology, it gives you extra time for field experience and internship opportunities.

I highly recommend visiting St Andrews, whether it is for an open day or a prearranged tour, it's the best way to see it for yourself and to speak to a variety of current students. Feel free to ask any more questions!
If any freshers have any questions the student newspaper, The Saint, is answering questions on their website!
"You don't have a license to use Office 365 with the user ID assigned to you by your work or school. Ask your admin to assign one to you. If you're an admin, you can assign one to your account." This is the message on my St Andrews email so i cannot use the inbox or download office 365 It has been hours since i created it, have i broken it at all?

Latest

Trending

Trending