Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Is anyone familiar with the Foundation Programme at St Andrews? If yes, how long did they take to reply to your application? I've been waiting for over two weeks already, and I'm getting slightly worried and paranoid checking my emails. What's the workload like? And most importantly, what type of questions are asked on the interview? I am aware of the standard interview questions for the undergraduate course, as there are plenty of examples on the web, but I'm wondering if it's different for the FP.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Which halls were/are you in and what are the dimensions of your desk? Just a rough estimate would still be really helpful if you don't know exactly. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are there any student jobs in or around St. Andrew's? I'm not eligible for a maintenance loan (haven't lived in the UK for 3 years) and I don't think I can rely on my parents during uni.
    I'd like to know if it's realistic to support yourself (and to pay for housing as well) whilst studying there. Or perhaps I should be looking at universities in bigger cities?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeve)
    Want to know what accommodation to avoid?
    Need info about night life?

For people considering applying to St Andrews, ask any questions you want here, anything you can't find on the site or just can't be bothered to look for, or anything the prospectus won't tell you.

A student already here such as me or Christopher will answer and hopefully sort things out for you
    Is the place as bad as everyone says it is?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mil88)
    Is the place as bad as everyone says it is?
    No. I know there's a thread at the top of the forum at the moment where people are ****ging St Andrews, but they are a serious minority. By and large people love St Andrews and have a great time here. you just have to bear in mind that it's not ideal for everyone as it's a small town, and it tends to be the case that if you don't like St Andrews, you really don't like St Andrews, hence the vitriol in the thread I mentioned.

If you have specific concerns about St Andrews, ask and we can tell you whether it's true or not.

(Original post by pecora)
    Are there any student jobs in or around St. Andrew's? I'm not eligible for a maintenance loan (haven't lived in the UK for 3 years) and I don't think I can rely on my parents during uni.
    I'd like to know if it's realistic to support yourself (and to pay for housing as well) whilst studying there. Or perhaps I should be looking at universities in bigger cities?
    Thank you!
    Not gonna lie, housing is expensive here. Are you a UK/EU citizen or will you be here on a visa? That affects how many hours you will be allowed to work. There are plenty of bar jobs or waiting jobs going in town, and they're quite easy to get - most are at minimum wage, although the Union pays a bit better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Not gonna lie, housing is expensive here. Are you a UK/EU citizen or will you be here on a visa? That affects how many hours you will be allowed to work. There are plenty of bar jobs or waiting jobs going in town, and they're quite easy to get - most are at minimum wage, although the Union pays a bit better
    I'm an EU student, so I can work 20 hours a week, I believe? How much would you say it costs you a month to live there including housing, food, transport, go outs etc.?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this question has been asked.
    I was just wondering what the dating culture/hookup culture is like? Also, while I understand it's hard to be objective, would you say there are a decent amount of attractive guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by americangirl11)
    I was just wondering what the dating culture/hookup culture is like? Also, while I understand it's hard to be objective, would you say there are a decent amount of attractive guys?
    if deciding whether to come to St Andrews comes down to whether there are attractive guys or not, then tbh I don't think I would want you at my university.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    I'm definitely applying to St Andrews but I'm kind oh hesitating between only International Relations or International Relations AND Arabic ?
    Which one would you say is the hardest to get into?
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolalololola)
    Hi Guys,
    I'm definitely applying to St Andrews but I'm kind oh hesitating between only International Relations or International Relations AND Arabic ?
    Thanks for your help!
    Do it with Arabic. That was my degree until I changed, and supposedly Arabic combinations are easier to get in for

ReputationRep:
    Question; do people actually wear the red coats or is it weird to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gg505)
    People wear them for things like open days, doing the peer walk and formal dinners. Also when the fire alarm goes off early morning and it's the warmest thing you have to put on! It's not that unusual to see people walking around in a gown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    I'm an EU student, so I can work 20 hours a week, I believe? How much would you say it costs you a month to live there including housing, food, transport, go outs etc.?
    I just settled on a flat near Market St for £550 a month. That's considered a really good price. If you want to live in the Kinnesburn (or the Badlands) it'll run you maybe £460 at least and you could be walking up to 20-25 minutes into town (not ideal when going to lectures or anything). I know of some of the bigger flats, such as the fancy ones on Hope St and Murray Place can run £700-800 easy. Mind you, that's per person, plus utilities and internet. So not so cheap.

Food is about £100 per month if you eat cheap stuff at Tesco. Don't worry about transport unless you need to leave St A's, you can basically walk everywhere. A night out can run you from £10-£100+, most balls/events are at least £35 and you may go to several a month if it's ball season. Some stuff like FS runs £70-£90 per person, if you can believe it. That's even before you buy any drinks.

(Original post by americangirl11)
    There's a pretty big hook-up culture, but there's also a lot of serious couples -- after all, it's the "matchmaking uni." Regardless of whether we roll our eyes at that or not, there's some grain of truth. You can find either depending on what you're looking for. A decent amount of attractive guys, mind you the guy to girl ratio is the worst: about 40% guys to 60% girls and the ratio is pretty obvious especially on a night out.

(Original post by lolalololola)
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your help!
    IR is the most competitive degree in the uni aside from Art History. Arabic is particularly challenging (my friends studying it complain A LOT). But a joint degree is very fulfilling and it'll be hard but you can graduate with a much more competitive degree (not saying IR isn't competitive by itself, it is, just joint is a little more)...

(Original post by gg505)
    Almost everyone owns a red gown. Most people don't wear it on a daily basis. Sure open days, pier walks, and occasionally church and special occasions, but not just about town for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luxemjuxem)
    I just settled on a flat near Market St for £550 a month. That's considered a really good price. If you want to live in the Kinnesburn (or the Badlands) it'll run you maybe £460 at least and you could be walking up to 20-25 minutes into town (not ideal when going to lectures or anything). I know of some of the bigger flats, such as the fancy ones on Hope St and Murray Place can run £700-800 easy. Mind you, that's per person, plus utilities and internet. So not so cheap.

Food is about £100 per month if you eat cheap stuff at Tesco. Don't worry about transport unless you need to leave St A's, you can basically walk everywhere. A night out can run you from £10-£100+, most balls/events are at least £35 and you may go to several a month if it's ball season. Some stuff like FS runs £70-£90 per person, if you can believe it. That's even before you buy any drinks.

There's a pretty big hook-up culture, but there's also a lot of serious couples -- after all, it's the "matchmaking uni." Regardless of whether we roll our eyes at that or not, there's some grain of truth. You can find either depending on what you're looking for. A decent amount of attractive guys, mind you the guy to girl ratio is the worst: about 40% guys to 60% girls and the ratio is pretty obvious especially on a night out.

IR is the most competitive degree in the uni aside from Art History. Arabic is particularly challenging (my friends studying it complain A LOT). But a joint degree is very fulfilling and it'll be hard but you can graduate with a much more competitive degree (not saying IR isn't competitive by itself, it is, just joint is a little more)...

Almost everyone owns a red gown. Most people don't wear it on a daily basis. Sure open days, pier walks, and occasionally church and special occasions, but not just about town for no reason.
    I'm guessing you're a fresher here??

Just want to correct some of the stuff you said for any other potential applicants reading this

Food can run way cheaper as well, we have an Aldi and Morrisons as well which is about 10-15 min walk from the town centre. Ordering your groceries online from Asda is quite popular here as well. The majority of events are £35, but some are cheaper as well (I went to Welly Ball's after party this year and that was £20) and think it's only the fashion shows which cost more.

The guy to girl ratio is actually 44:56 - not 40:60. Not that much better but it's quite common for universities to have more girls than guys (unless it's a science-y university).

The most competitive courses are actually Economics and IR, not IR and History of Art. Other competitive courses are Neuroscience, Management, English etc (Art History's offer rate is actually the third highest and has the highest acceptance rate).

And no, not everyone owns a red gown - don't feel pressured to, they're relatively expensive. You can just borrow a friend's if you need it, many people actually sell their's once they go into honours.

ReputationRep:

Thank you very much for replying! This is great news, I could manage that with a part-time job and some freelancing. And the fact that no transport is needed is also a money saver, I hadn't thought about it before. All I can do now is hope to get the offer

(Original post by Capricancer)
    Food can run way cheaper as well, we have an Aldi and Morrisons as well which is about 10-15 min walk from the town centre. Ordering your groceries online from Asda is quite popular here as well. The majority of events are £35, but some are cheaper as well (I went to Welly Ball's after party this year and that was £20) and think it's only the fashion shows which cost more.
    This is even better news, this means I'll get to party. Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree with most of your prices, but there are definitely places out in the badlands or further that go sub-£400. I'm a 40 minute walk into town (I drive most of the time though!), and I'm paying £375/month in a large two bed house.

Also, I used to live on Market St and paid £420/month (2010/11), and then just off of South St for £450 (2011/12 and 2012/13). I'm sure prices will have gone up, but if you're lucky (and put a lot of work into finding them), I bet you can still find a couple of "in town" places that are <£500/month.

ReputationRep:
    Roughly what time did you get your offer? I'm just wondering when I can expect to hear back?

ReputationRep:
    If you're English it really can take a while, I didn't get mine until April (for IR) last year! I don't know about Scottish students, perhaps someone else can help.

I'm a first year at St Andrews, so while there are some things I won't be able to answer, if there's anything I can help with please ask

ReputationRep:
    Scottish student here! And to back up Emily's statement I received an offer in January last year, almost five months after applying (for the physics and chemistry joint hons). The two others who received offers from my school for zoology and Earth Science heard back at the end of February and in March respectively.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound absolutely so stupid but would you say go for catered or non catered accommodation?

I was thinking uncatered (want to go for Agnes blackadder) purely because I'd get really anxious about having to go down for a whole 'meal time' sort of thing in accomodation where potentially none of my friends are and the chance of sitting by myself is very probably. But AB is nearly 7 grand without food...

What's the really cheap accomodation like (the grey buildings by the beach...I've forgotten the name)?

Also, how's freshers when you're 17...obv I won't be able to buy drink but is it still possible to go out and stuff?

Lastly, when did you guys get your offers sent out by email?😅

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.