Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer for Chemistry, but I applied for Physics and Chemistry; can I just change when I get there to include some physics modules? I really want to do both, not just chem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelia_jw)
    I just got an offer for Chemistry, but I applied for Physics and Chemistry; can I just change when I get there to include some physics modules? I really want to do both, not just chem!
    You will be able to do physics modules in first and second year, and you can apply to change to a Chemistry and Physics degree any time until honours. The real advantage of the Scottish degree structure is that you can dabble more in other subjects in your first few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    You will be able to do physics modules in first and second year, and you can apply to change to a Chemistry and Physics degree any time until honours. The real advantage of the Scottish degree structure is that you can dabble more in other subjects in your first few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Great, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memequeen)
    I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but what are some good online places to get the red academic robes? I've heard that they can be rather expensive.

Thanks~
    No! You have the buy them at the union during freshers week! There are always some used gowns for sale from the union first - they go quick!! Get there super early! You can always hold off buying a gown until someone sells one online (through facebook) - usually at the end of the academic year to get a really good discount! Also consider whether you will actually use a gown, as most people only wear them 2-3 times over the course of their degree (maximum!)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I received an offer for Art History and Comparative Literature last Monday. St Andrews is my firm choice, but I'd like to know something more about the course from someone who's actually studying it.

ReputationRep:
    What the odds of being able to take your other desired modules in your first year? I'm specifically worried about English, which I didn't apply for, but am really keen to take modules in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metamorph0sis)
    What the odds of being able to take your other desired modules in your first year? I'm specifically worried about English, which I didn't apply for, but am really keen to take modules in.
    It rather depends on the demand - I know for some subjects, especially in the Arts there will be waiting lists because there isn't enough places. People who have been offered places on courses that have these modules as compulsory will get first choice.

For the Sciences - I don't really know of anyone having any problems.

But maybe other people have had different experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    It rather depends on the demand - I know for some subjects, especially in the Arts there will be waiting lists because there isn't enough places. People who have been offered places on courses that have these modules as compulsory will get first choice.

For the Sciences - I don't really know of anyone having any problems.

But maybe other people have had different experiences.
    As far as I know, the only ones people tend to have any trouble with are IR and Film Studies, because they tend to be oversubscribed. Then again I know plenty of people taking IR even though they didn't apply for it, so I think it depends year to year. Most arts subjects you should be fine to take as long as you have the prerequisites.

ReputationRep:
    For IR they had a ballot so if it was oversubscribed it was a random pick (for people who didn't need it, obviously), and you had to choose an alternative at advising in case you didn't get it. I've never heard of English having a problem with too many people though, so I expect you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the stupid question, but can you explain to me what these extra modules are?

ReputationRep:
    Applied on the 13th October for English (Q300) and Classical Studies and Comparative Literature (Q890). Still haven't heard back, should I be worried? I'm a UK student

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if you can specify whether you want a single or shared room when applying for accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily141)
    The accommodation situation here definitely is a problem, finding a central flat that is affordable can definitely be a challenge. Having said that though, I don't know of anyone who wanted to find a flat that hasn't yet secured, one - it's just if you're picky regarding location that it can get really expensive.

Most people I know found reasonably (St Andrews reasonably, so 300 - 400 pcm) priced flats/houses by going further out that the main three streets though, so as long as you are willing to hunt a bit it isn't as terrible as it sounds!

The important thing to remember though is that even the areas that count as 'out of the centre of town' where flats are cheaper are very rarely more than 15 minutes from market street!

It's also worth remembering that it is entirely possible to go back into halls after first year, my whole friend group and I are moving back into Sallies next year, and most people that apply to halls tend to get back in.

If anyone has any questions about catered halls/Sallies then feel free to ask
    Wow! Thank you for the reply, this is very helpful and reassuring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddi1905)
    Does anybody know if you can specify whether you want a single or shared room when applying for accommodation?
    Yes, you can (phrased as "are you happy to share a room", if I remember correctly). I don't know that they guarantee your choice but I've never heard of anybody sharing/not sharing if they didn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Hi- I'm an American currently looking to study history at the University of St Andrews for my undergraduate degree. I was wondering, is St Andrews "good" (for lack of a better word) enough to be looked well upon by Oxford and Cambridge (and similar schools) in their graduate student selection process?

ReputationRep:
    Hi- I'm an American currently looking to study history at the University of St Andrews for my undergraduate degree. I was wondering, is St Andrews "good" (for lack of a better word) enough to be looked well upon by Oxford and Cambridge (and similar schools) in their graduate student selection process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memequeen)
    Certainly - I know a number of St Andrews students who have gone to Oxbridge for graduate study, and many PhD students at the School of History in St Andrews who were undergrads at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I wouldn't expect anyone to know, but are they strict on meeting your offer grades? For example, if I am asked for AAA and get AAB will I no longer be considered? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelmanator)
    Perhaps I wouldn't expect anyone to know, but are they strict on meeting your offer grades? For example, if I am asked for AAA and get AAB will I no longer be considered? Thank you!
    Not something I have experience of/have heard much about, but I know somebody who didn't meet their grades but called up (presumably the admissions office?) and were accepted - so if it does happen to you don't rule out having a talk with them. I imagine the likelihood will differ year to year depending on how many students they're expecting to have, etc. Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelmanator)
    It depends on your course, if it is competitive like IR then missing your offer means not getting a place. But IR is at one end of the scale, it really depends what course you're doing, how competitive it is and how the admissions within that department have dealt with things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.