Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is an international student who has received an offer from St. Andrews. We read about the two week academic induction program, but we don't know much about it. Does anyone have experience with this program, and can you offer any thoughts on whether this was helpful as you began your university life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadja.C)
    What do you actually carry around in your bag each day? E.g. you need your laptop will we need to bring textbooks or notebooks too?
    What you carry around will likely differ from day to day and depending on you modules and personal preference. For example, some people like to take notes by hand and others on their laptop, and using a laptop for notes in certain modules (Maths, Arabic, Russian etc.) might not work as well as in others. Having a pen on hand is always useful though.
    With regard to textbooks, that depends on the module as well. Some might ask you to bring one to every lecture, while others might not even ask you to own one.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, does anyone know when students from England will receive their offers? I’m a bit confused because I know of international students who received offers months ago, but surely St Andrews has to give priority to Scottish students? And if international students have received offers why hasn’t any one from Britain but outside of Scotland had them?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by xleo.norx)
    Hiya, does anyone know when students from England will receive their offers? I’m a bit confused because I know of international students who received offers months ago, but surely St Andrews has to give priority to Scottish students? And if international students have received offers why hasn’t any one from Britain but outside of Scotland had them?
    For non internatonal students they seem to want to wait until the January deadline to start giving out the bulk of offers, and evven then it's sometimes like March before you hear back.

They don't have to give priority to Scottish students, they have a set number of places they can give to Scots (set by the goverment because they pay the fees for Scots). So giving international student offers earlier than scots doesn't make a difference to whether a scottish student gets a place or not.

I think the uni the number of places for RUK students (there used to be a limit from the government on how many RUK students there could be bu tthey got rid of it). Again, it makes no difference if an international student gets an offer earlier than RUK students.

TL;DR - St Andrews are generally slow with offers, they normally wait for the January deadline to start giving out offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    For non internatonal students they seem to want to wait until the January deadline to start giving out the bulk of offers, and evven then it's sometimes like March before you hear back.

They don't have to give priority to Scottish students, they have a set number of places they can give to Scots (set by the goverment because they pay the fees for Scots). So giving international student offers earlier than scots doesn't make a difference to whether a scottish student gets a place or not.

I think the uni the number of places for RUK students (there used to be a limit from the government on how many RUK students there could be bu tthey got rid of it). Again, it makes no difference if an international student gets an offer earlier than RUK students.

TL;DR - St Andrews are generally slow with offers, they normally wait for the January deadline to start giving out offers.
    I think it is a quota for EU & Scottish students
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LadyBunion)
    I think it is a quota for EU & Scottish students
    Yeah, Home fee is Scottish/EU, but the post I was replying to was talking specifically about Scottish students.

ReputationRep:
    Currently a fresher doing History! ask away
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Does it snow a lot in st. Andrew's? What's it like in winter?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by punkbreath)
    Does it snow a lot in st. Andrew's? What's it like in winter?
    Not really, maybe 2 or 3 days a year where it actually lays. In I think 2010 it did snow enough that someone built an igloo on South St

It's generally just above freezing, with fairly strong winds that add to the chill factor. It rains a little bit, but not overmuch (east coast is fairly dry compared to west), and it gets dark around 3-4pm (about 7 hours of daylight per day if it's not overcast).

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you had much opportunity to have one-on-one tutorials with your academic tutors and teachers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marthe7176)
    Have any of you had much opportunity to have one-on-one tutorials with your academic tutors and teachers?
    One on One tutorials aren't really a thing here. Depending on your subject and year, your tutorials will be 5-18 approximately. However, most professors are able and willing to meet with students individually to go over material, essay plans, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFeuilly)
    Currently a fresher doing History! ask away
    How are you finding it so far? How are the lectures, the environment, the people, the accommodation? I've applied to do History at St. Andrews myself so any reply would be really useful - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizabethRG)
    One on One tutorials aren't really a thing here. Depending on your subject and year, your tutorials will be 5-18 approximately. However, most professors are able and willing to meet with students individually to go over material, essay plans, etc.
    That sounds fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    How are you finding it so far? How are the lectures, the environment, the people, the accommodation? I've applied to do History at St. Andrews myself so any reply would be really useful - thank you!
    I'm really enjoying it! Deadlines started coming in sooner than I expected, but I've managed to learn a lot in terms of research, writing, and revision style in the space of a semester. The department packs a lot into their lectures and tutorials.

Lectures are 50 minutes long (they tend to overrun, but that's okay since all my other lectures are five minutes from each other at most) and can vary in quality. I really enjoyed modern and medieval history; ancient, less so, but I have a friend that's switching from neuroscience to ancient haha, so it depends. Some lecturers crowd their slides with information, and others fill it with photos and talk through it. All of them are made available on MMS, one of St Andrews' online systems for processing coursework and course content, afterwards.

Seminars are smaller group discussions between 5-10 (sometimes more) people, and these are also 50 minutes long. Usually, your tutor assigns a fair bit of primary and/or secondary source reading, and you talk through the general themes and content of the pieces themselves. Managing to read all of it is a struggle since it can literally be 50+ pages in total, but nonetheless the content can be quite interesting. It depends on the week: reading and discussing Spartan austerity was really fun, but Athenian legal rhetoric was such a drag.

The town itself is a bubble - albeit a lovely bubble, but you tend to forget what the real world is like because everyone is really nice, and St Andrews itself is secluded. There are lots of coffee shops, one really nice gelateria, and a H&M, but don't go here if you want to shop or are looking for a crazy nightlife. Our only club is the Students' Union, 601, and that shuts at 2am. That being said, there's still a fair bit to do if you're a student since the Union has literally hundreds of societies, so joining things you may be interested in and trying new activities is really important.

Accommodation is good, if a bit expensive. The cheapest option available was Albany Park (3915 GBP), which is self-catered with shared bathrooms, but they're knocking it down next year. It's being replaced with newly-built accommodation at Uni Hall, which should hopefully be similarly-priced since the same amenities are on offer for it as were available in Albany.

(Original post by Marthe7176)
    I had one 10 minute feedback session in person for my first essay. Aside from that, you can reach all tutors and lecturers by email, and they'll reply quickly.

ReputationRep:
    So how good is getting an invite to a Saturday open day?
    Does it mean anything or is it sent to all applicants?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I've got a Medicine interview coming up in a few days and had a doubt i wanted to clear...

For the Medicine a100 course, Ihave a q about the 'route' after three years. If someone applied for the scottish route (do clinical years at Scottish uni after St Andrews) and got the offer and began first year, suppose they changed their mind during first year and wanted to take the english route (Barts/Manc) after St Andrews, would that be at all possibile??

Thanks,

RevLad

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest are there any polish people or polish speaking students at St. Andrews?
    Is there a polish society?
    Or in general Eastern European students ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionlad)
    Hey everyone, I've got a Medicine interview coming up in a few days and had a doubt i wanted to clear...

For the Medicine a100 course, Ihave a q about the 'route' after three years. If someone applied for the scottish route (do clinical years at Scottish uni after St Andrews) and got the offer and began first year, suppose they changed their mind during first year and wanted to take the english route (Barts/Manc) after St Andrews, would that be at all possibile??

Thanks,

RevLad
    doctors don't need a 2:1, a 2:2 is good enough to graduate. but the incentive to get a good grade is 1st choice uni for clinical years. most popular choices are manchester and edinburgh, least popular is probably preston.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undec)
    Out of interest are there any polish people or polish speaking students at St. Andrews?
    Is there a polish society?
    Or in general Eastern European students ?
    there are a decent handful of polish people there but an enormous number of eastern europeans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13jf72)
    doctors don't need a 2:1, a 2:2 is good enough to graduate. but the incentive to get a good grade is 1st choice uni for clinical years. most popular choices are manchester and edinburgh, least popular is probably preston.
    Yeh, but my q was are you allowed to ask them to put you on the different route? on the website, it says your offer will have the route you have chosen eg: Scottish after 3 years. My question was, is it possible to ask if you can get the England Route after joining the uni?

Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.