Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MerryMilkMan)
    No, I agree with you That comment was not aimed at you in any way (sorry if I wasn't specific)

I was talking about this statment
    I'm not the PC police, and I never said that stereotyping should never happen. However, there comes a point when trying to categorise everyone becomes excessive. And yes, I agree that stereotyping is natural and indeed essential. Yes, I didn't express myself properly, but I was pissed by your comment when you said that you "wished" that a certain stereotype existed in the US -you should never look for friends just because they fit a certain social mold.

In addition, I think you should be more concern with other issues rather than trying to get a grasp of all the stereotypes in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sporkaphobia)
    Granted, there are a lot of positive stereotypes out there too. Those can't be ignored. It's still a very narrow minded way of looking at things though.
    Of course there are...it's just that it's easier to think of the negative stereotypes because people whine about them so damn often

ReputationRep:
    It's really interesting to follow this discussion. Between people who find stereotypes beneath them and others who think it makes life easier.

I believe that it's just important not to take too seriously on these stereotypes. In some cases I guess that it can create a feeling of belonging to a group, friends and all of that. Then the human brain can have difficulties appreciating that everybody are different. I guess that it might be too wide to apprehend that there are 6 billion people who each have an individuality of their own. Then I have no research of any of this I just thinking...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankan)
    I guess that it might be too wide to apprehend that there are 6 billion people who each have an individuality of their own.
    Some more so than others...and if you were to meet me in person then you'd clearly see that :angel:

I can be classed as "emo" (I'm not really emo, but I know why some people may think I am), "nuevo-geek", "fat f**k", "gay" and all sorts of things...I may match some parts of each of those stereotypes, but the combination of them all differentiates me from all the other "emos", "nuevo-geeks" and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know even know what stereotype I fit in with....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bdarnell)
    I don't know even know what stereotype I fit in with....

You might not fit any stereotype aside from physical ones.

Me, I fit into white female, 23 years old, median family income, college graduate... etc. etc. Those are demographics. EVERYONE fits in to a demographic.

Then, there are the psychographics. Things like "people who feel sexy." and "people who are emo." That sort of thing is impossible to measure but what happens is you would clump a bunch of psychographics together to form a grouping- emo, punk, extreme, scene, straight edge, prep, jock, etc. etc.

And it's almost impossible to lump me in to any grouping. I'm too all over the charts. I've been actually tested by psychologists and sociologists (the benefits of being a former psych major) and they can't even tell me how my brain works- sometimes I'm left brained, sometimes I'm right brained and the type of problem I'm working on makes NO difference in whether I am left or right brained. They can't put me in to a social group. They don't even know if I'm an introvert or an extrovert (I always tell people I'm both depending on the situation and my mood. One night, I will chat up an entire club no problem. The next night I'm too shy to even flag the bartender down for a drink). So, sometimes, you just can't classify people aside from their measurable traits.

ReputationRep:
    *is confused by all the psychobabble*

They don't even know if I'm an introvert or an extrovert (I always tell people I'm both depending on the situation and my mood. One night, I will chat up an entire club no problem. The next night I'm too shy to even flag the bartender down for a drink).
    Although I give off the complete opposite idea when I'm online, I am 100% introvert; I am absolutely appalling in social situations unless I'm entirely comfortable with the people I'm talking to.

ReputationRep:
    that kind of stereotyping is encouraged by society though... you are encouraged to belong to certain groups... you wear uniforms to show that you belong to a group... it's only natural to take those uniforms on further and stick to wearing a certain type of fashion.

I underdstand what you're saying about individualism.. however sometimes even this turns into a group label. "oh she's an individualist." Some people try hard to be perceived as 'individual' so that they can fit in with other 'individuals'.

ReputationRep:
    What an interesting discussion. If there are any sociology majors lurking around this thread, they're in their glory right now.
    - Yay thats me! Im hoping to study psychology and sociology/ social anthropology. So im loving this debate!

I definately agree that stereotypes are seen as negative. Reading these posts i wanted to say "no labels are wrong...only the narrow minded try to put others in categories". But it got me thinking how much even though i try not to, i still label others and myself (both positively and negatively). Its really difficult to be totally impartial.

I was pissed by your comment when you said that you "wished" that a certain stereotype existed in the US -you should never look for friends just because they fit a certain social mold. .
    That isnt entirely fair, people do look for others like themselves, its in our nature to try and seek out others with whom we'll feel like we belong with. I see your point though as that may not be the greatest way to look for friends. Theres alot of people i know who on paper it would seem like we'd get along great but in reality we dont.

Were all just asking these questions liks "what sort of people are at St A's", as we may be pretty nervous about fitting in and need the comfort of knowing theres people woth similar interests, thats one of the reasons i bet were all on here .

it's almost impossible to lump me in to any grouping. I'm too all over the charts.
    Same :rolleyes:. My personality is pretty mixed, so's my dress sense, music taste, attitude etc (generally what labels are based on in jersey - aside from whether daddy has a jaguar or a ford :p:... sorry!). It varies from one day to the next, but i think thats the "norm".

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at some of my courses and it says under teaching Four lecutres ... does that meen only four lectures the entire time or four lectures a week?
    If I take more credits than I need do they role over into next year?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to point out that I am not advicating steriotyping people on things they can't change. aka. race, nationality, sexuality, ect and I made this clear when we first brought up the questune. (although if you really want a good debate on the subject, you can make a stand on wether or not religion is fare game for steriotying. Another good one would be if income is fair game. If you want to start one of these go for it)

(my rant to come is spelled as bad and has as many gramatical errors as that first little snippet so preppare your self.)

(Original post by PunkiePixie)
    - Yay thats me! Im hoping to study psychology and sociology/ social anthropology. So im loving this debate!
    I agree fun debate

I definately agree that stereotypes are seen as negative. Reading these posts i wanted to say "no labels are wrong...only the narrow minded try to put others in categories". But it got me thinking how much even though i try not to, i still label others and myself (both positively and negatively). Its really difficult to be totally impartial.
    I really don't see steritipes as negtive at all. I belive that it is the whole P.C. mantality born of the civil rights movment that has created this notion. Why do you think people dress up to fit these steriotypes? I really dout that some one would come up with the intricet goth or geto style of dress if it hadn't been prelined out in an evolving steriotype of that group. The purposly dress that way to impart the steriotype held by that way of dressing on those who see them wether it be seen as negtive or positive by the viewer. Kind of a screaning mechanism

Were all just asking these questions liks "what sort of people are at St A's", as we may be pretty nervous about fitting in and need the comfort of knowing theres people woth similar interests, thats one of the reasons i bet were all on here .
    Good point

(Original post by Icecradle)
    that kind of stereotyping is encouraged by society though... you are encouraged to belong to certain groups... you wear uniforms to show that you belong to a group... it's only natural to take those uniforms on further and stick to wearing a certain type of fashion.

I underdstand what you're saying about individualism.. however sometimes even this turns into a group label. "oh she's an individualist." Some people try hard to be perceived as 'individual' so that they can fit in with other 'individuals'.
    Good point

, but I was pissed by your comment when you said that you "wished" that a certain stereotype existed in the US -you should never look for friends just because they fit a certain social mold. .
    I was saying I wished that group existed. When there is a steriotype their are allways going to be people around who make it their job to fit it and base their identity around it. To add to what I was saying about acting as a fillter. If that sterioty/clic existed in the U.S. I could look be new some were and look at the way some one dressed and say to my self, "I should go talk to that person, I can tell by the way they dress they have a high probablity of having the same intrests as me.

ReputationRep:
    If you took away all steriotyps the way some one dressed would meen nothing. :p: While that might seem fine and danddy to you and the other people who dress entirly normal then fine you guys can go hang out in your normal what ever I feel like I hold no steriotyps group ... but for a lot of us, well most people, we like to be able to identify our selfs with groups and convay messages with the way we dress. No matter what (unless you are really unpopular) you are going to have a group of close friends, and those friends will most likly be close friends with eachother. One of the driving factors in such groups of friends is simmilar intrests. Belive it or not your group of friends isn't the only group in the world with those intrests. In fact there are many many groups at diffrent schools, universitys, and towns that hold those intrests. When some one comes to a univerity of 6000 people it would take them a hell of a long time to scout out groups that share simmilar intrests to the one they new at home.
    I am not saying evry one dresses exactly to fit just one steriotpy, on the contrary most dress with diffrent elments of the atire of diffrent steriptyps to show diffrent aspects of their personalty.

Any way thats all for my unspellcheked and grammaticly atrocius rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Of course there are...it's just that it's easier to think of the negative stereotypes because people whine about them so damn often
    I am not sure what type of possitive steriotyps you are reffering to but they can often be steriotyps that are positive only from the perspective of the group being steriotyped. For example, the asians are smart steriotype can allso be interperted as evry one else is not as smart as asians. If an employer holds that steriotipe and has to chose between one of three people to hire one black, one white and one asian then the asian has an unfair advantage regardless of merret.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure what type of possitive steriotyps you are reffering to but they can often be steriotyps that are positive only from the perspective of the group being steriotyped.
    Have a look for Ice's description of 'nuevo-geeks' a while back. The only thing negative in there was that they are shy...apart from that, they're good people, hence are a positive stereotype.

However, it's much easier to think of negative stereotypes; for example, because we complain about their drunken antics so often, it's very easy for Brits to think of chavs when asked about stereotypes :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Have a look for Ice's description of 'nuevo-geeks' a while back. The only thing negative in there was that they are shy...apart from that, they're good people, hence are a positive stereotype.

However, it's much easier to think of negative stereotypes; for example, because we complain about their drunken antics so often, it's very easy for Brits to think of chavs when asked about stereotypes :rolleyes:
    Ya thats a good example as I said I wasn't sure what type you were talking about

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at some of my courses and it says under teaching Four lecutres ... does that meen only four lectures the entire time or four lectures a week?
    If I take more credits than I need do they role over into next year?
    Four lectures a week.
    I'm not sure about credits rolling over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icecradle)
    I'm not sure about credits rolling over.
    They do...it's not that you have to get 120 credits each year - it's 240 credits over the two years combined. If you get 160 credits in first year (not something I'd suggest - it'd be a LOT of work), you'd only need to get 80 credits in second year.

ReputationRep:
    if I take a bunch of courses yet don't really plan on passing but the ones I need is that ok?

ReputationRep:
    if I take a bunch of courses yet don't really plan on passing but the ones I need is that ok?
    Nope, you'd need to pass the courses to get the credits...just pick classes that will be easy for you and you can pass with little difficulty (I took IT and Maths IT despite being a CompSci major, and took German "for beginners" despite having done it at Standard Grade level in school). Just don't be stupid and take something that means putting in a lot of extra work because everything is new to you (like my friend who was doing Russian for the first time - learning the cyrillic alphabet was a nightmare for her)

ReputationRep:
    Heh like me doing Koine Greek for the first time with a whole new alphabet. Mind you... it was my best subject. I got an 18.6

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.