The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
I'm trying to decide on which modules to take. I'm wondering about the marginal one ought to have between subjects. For example if I was to take a subject where lectures begin at 9 am and another subjects where lectures begin at... let's say 11 am - how would I know if I'd make it? How long are lectures in general? I've tried to look at the timetable in the undergraduate course catalogue but I can't seem to figure out if it shows when lectures end as well.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
martika
I'm trying to decide on which modules to take. I'm wondering about the marginal one ought to have between subjects. For example if I was to take a subject where lectures begin at 9 am and another subjects where lectures begin at... let's say 11 am - how would I know if I'd make it? How long are lectures in general? I've tried to look at the timetable in the undergraduate course catalogue but I can't seem to figure out if it shows when lectures end as well.
Lectures are an hour long, though many subjects will let you out a few minutes early so you can get to a class that starts the following hour. However, if you are tempted to pick classes that are in consecutive hours (e.g. 9am and 10am) post them here and we can tell you whether or not you'd have an easy time getting to the second class.
In first year I had classes at 10am, 11am and 12pm, but I had no trouble with them because the lectures were all done near to each other (go into the 10am class, leave that, walk to the building across the street and up the stairs for my 11am class, then down the stairs again for my 12pm class)...but I had a friend who took two classes which were on different sides of town. Even with a bike she often didn't make it to the second class in time, so she ended up dropping Italian.

If you're choosing subjects at 9am and 11am (like you said), you've got an hour free (10am-11am) in between lectures. Even if they were on opposite sides of town, you'd still have 30+ minutes free if you walked between the classes :smile:
redecoration wise... it's amazing what you can do with a throw.. a couple of cushions, a poster and a noticeboard covered in penguins.. er I mean postcards. It really feels like home then.

In melville I had 1 room inspection (although there were inspections regularly just they pick rooms at random), twice the wardens showed visitors my room as an example (because I was in the nicest area of the hall and always kept my door open so they could see I was in), and the cleaner came in every thursday morning.
Do all halls get a cleaner?
Not sure... I think most do.
Icecradle, I remember you defended me in a thread where people were semi-bothering to slag me off, and you said you'd probably get mega-negged for it. Did you? I can finally rep you again, so 42 points can be reimbursed (tomorrow) :smile: Hopefully that'd cover your loss (or most of it) :hugs:
I bet them cleaners see some funny things....
Solid_L
I bet them cleaners see some funny things....
Nothing as funny as this, I bet :biggrin:
Haha...completely off topic (although good attempt at bringing into topic) but still very funny:biggrin:
heh..

I didn't actually check my rep Holly.. so I dunno. O.o

--

Just had a look.. no I didn't get negged. They just all told me in the thread to stop overreacting and that no-one was gossiping. Ok.. like 'oh she's probably really fat and ugly like most of these net-babes' isn't gossiping. -rolls eyes-
Reply 1370
Bdarnell
I know we aren't officially allowed according to the hall code to decorate our rooms, but what do people actually do? How frequent are room inspections (ie New Hall)?

In New Hall, you have a pinboard in your room, and you can do what you like to it. You get a cleaner every week who is in charge of making sure your room conforms. However, the cleaners are excellent. Most will let you get away with anything, posters on any wall, rugs, fairylights. It's very very leniant.
There is one room inspection in the year by the head honcho. She is weird but it's just a brief thing to make sure your room has everything it needs, like 2 lamps, etc. I had a chair in my room which I took from the computer room, 2 chairs all year round, and noone cared at all.
Reply 1371
Does anyone know what economics is like at St. Andrews? Are the first year modules really hard? I'm majoring in Modern History/ IR and was going to have my third module be English, but now I kind of want to change it to econ. Also, if I've already signed up for English online, is it too late to change it to economics? Thanks :smile:
mbm1087
Also, if I've already signed up for English online, is it too late to change it to economics? Thanks :smile:

You can change it since your module choices aren't finalised until you meet your advisor.
Reply 1373
mbm1087
Does anyone know what economics is like at St. Andrews? Are the first year modules really hard? I'm majoring in Modern History/ IR and was going to have my third module be English, but now I kind of want to change it to econ. Also, if I've already signed up for English online, is it too late to change it to economics? Thanks :smile:

Change your choices as much as you want. You can keep changing them right up until 2 weeks into the course!
I dropped economics in the second semester of first year.
It was too hard for me. Haha.
Reply 1374
Skeve
Change your choices as much as you want. You can keep changing them right up until 2 weeks into the course!
I dropped economics in the second semester of first year.
It was too hard for me. Haha.

Was economics really bad? Was it alot of math? :confused:
Economics is really difficult. Skeve isn't the only one who dropped it :flute:
Without actually taking the course, I would think economics wouldn't be incredibly maths intensive (ie, no calculus)
Actually, economics wasn't that hard for me until second year. That's when you have to take maths supplement courses... though you never really use them in the economics courses! If you stay on top of it (i.e. go to lectures... something I didn't often do!), you should be fine. However, if you're looking for good marks for no effort, I wouldn't go for it.
current students; how much money aprox do you need/can you live on per week?

ta
this question has been asked before, and like I said before I'll say this: It depends entirely on the student.

if you're self catering then you'll need food. In my first year i spent £20 a week on groceries, that's excluding treats.

what do you spend money on?

A couple of coffees a week? £5.
the odd chocolate bar? 50p each
alcohol? £1-3 per drink, more expensive for cocktails etc.
a meal out? anything from £5 onwards.

seriously the question is impossible to answer. And each week will differ. Freshers week will be EXTREMELY expensive... you'll be buying books, society memberships, going out more often... etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending