Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icecradle)
    I'm not sure when it will be in Uni hall... but probably somewhere between 12 and 2. Melville last year was 12.45 - 1.30
    Ah, so if you have 1pm lectures the other side of town indigestion is quite likely :p:

All being well, mine should be 11, 12 and 3 so not so bad

ReputationRep:
    well your 12 is going to be the difficult one... because it'll finish at 1, then you have 15 min walk to hall... then you'll have only 15 mins of lunch left if it finished at 1.30

ReputationRep:
    Ah damn!!! Maybe they'll let us out at 12:55

Can you answer me a little riddle that's been puzzling me for a while... how do some Scottish kids end up going to Uni at 17?? I can't work it out...

ReputationRep:
    scottish kids can do their highers at 16... basically the system is just a little different so they can go to uni a year early.

the age difference is not really noticable though. Last year I was 19/20 and my mate (and bf for a while) jon was 17/18... I kept forgetting that he was younger than me! I also forgot that he was underage and had to remind myself before i walked into the Raisin where they ID on the door. lol.

ReputationRep:
    scottish kids can do their highers at 16... basically the system is just a little different so they can go to uni a year early.

the age difference is not really noticable though. Last year I was 19/20 and my mate (and bf for a while) jon was 17/18... I kept forgetting that he was younger than me! I also forgot that he was underage and had to remind myself before i walked into the Raisin where they ID on the door. lol.
    Ooh unlucky!! I'm guessing most wait to do highers til the year after then, seeing as the majority are 18...

So are you only a second year then??? You seem very knowledgeable :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my third year, but I spent my 1st year in Canterbury Christ Church and transfered, so it'll be my second year at St Andrews. =)

And yeah.. I know stuff... yep.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 17 for freshers' week I may have asked this before, but I'm going to ask it again because it's a huge deal... am I going to have a problem with the pubcrawls? I don't want to be denied beverage during the week in which beverage is most key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birkstopher40)
    I'll be 17 for freshers' week I may have asked this before, but I'm going to ask it again because it's a huge deal... am I going to have a problem with the pubcrawls? I don't want to be denied beverage during the week in which beverage is most key.
    beverage, that’s an far too underused word! well personally I've only been IDed a few times anywhere I’ve been since 13, but then I do / did look old for my age, so if you look older than you are it will be to your advantage. I don’t know what the deal is specifically in St Andrews though, but if you cant get served as far as I know you ARE 18 .

ReputationRep:
    Gosh i'd hate to be 16/17 where i live now. Leeds City Centre is appalling. "Yorkshire Proof of Age Partnership". Our first two years of college would have been a misery :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think only the vic and the raisin ID on the door.

ReputationRep:
    I think only the vic and the raisin ID on the door.
    I didn't even know the Raisin ID'd you :s: Mind you, I only went in there once, during a lacrosse pub crawl :cheers: Thought it was rather expensive compared to some other places that I liked better, so never bothered going there again.

The Vic IDs you almost every time, though...best to get friendly with one of the doormen. Last time I went there I didn't have my matric card, but I knew one of the guys from the pool society...started chatting with him for a couple of minutes about random stuff (mostly the lacrosse club, since he ****ged me off for wearing a lacrosse club jacket) then I just walked past - neither guy at the door bothered at all to ask if I had ID :rofl:
    I also managed to get in once through generosity...again I'd forgotten my matric card, but I had to go in to take part in the lacrosse club's meeting. I wasn't being let in, but pleaded with them, saying that I was only going in for the meeting (I'd talked with the club captain as she went in) and would have to go all the way back to Fife Park to get my matric card. They agreed to let me in that one time but wouldn't let it happen again (though, if you look above, it did :rofl:)

I don't want to be denied beverage during the week in which beverage is most key
    Most don't bother - you're spending money, so they'll turn a blind eye. If, however, you're in ANY doubt about whether you may get served, give the money to someone you reckon you can trust and ask them to get you a drink. I only did this once, in the union (since I was warned that I was underage), but it's not something the pubs care TOO much about, especially if you're coming up to your 18th.

ReputationRep:
    The gin house ID most people.
    The vic usually has a lot of queues due to ID.
    Raisin ID people occasionally but not much.
    The union ID's everyone.

ReputationRep:
    so.... a dry freshers for me? I don't believe this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birkstopher40)
    so.... a dry freshers for me? I don't believe this!
    You can get away with it during Freshers' Week. They can't really demand to see your matric card since first years won't have one (they get a temp one so they can get into the union and the uni library, but you write down your details there and can easily lie if desired), and you can just say that you don't have any other identification on you...this really only works during freshers, though, since uni students WILL have a matric card by the end of freshers' week.

ReputationRep:
    Is all this ID'ing just to get in, or at the bar?

ReputationRep:
    Just in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeve)
    Just in
    Ahh rite, that is tough on all the 17 year old at St. Andrews. I would have been more than happy to go to the bar for someone if ID was a problem (you know if they ‘forgot’ it and I didn’t know the recipients age of course ) but if they cant even get in I guess that is out of the window.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you're right, Dalimyr, or I'm a very unhappy fresher :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    It's all a bit harsh really. I'm glad I'm 18, feel sorry for any 17 year olds!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you need a matric. card? Because I have a fake Canadian ID...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.