This discussion is closed.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
um you don't even know me dude
I can't help but pick up on the hypocrisy of this statement.

This is the same person who claimed that all religious believers were brainwashed.

Dare I ask if you know every one?
caz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I can't help but pick up on the hypocrisy of this statement.

This is the same person who claimed that all religious believers were brainwashed.

Dare I ask if you know every one?
shut up already no one cares about ur crying
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
shut up already no one cares about ur crying
Bigncee...is that you in your avatar?
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
neither do i. does anyone know the actual reason for this 'rule' in some religions?

In Catholicism, sex should always be for the creation of children (hence no contraception), and the Church doesn't believe children should be born outside the sanctity of marriage. For Catholics (devout ones at least) the marriage bond is unbreakable (hence no divorce), a sacrament made in the presence of God, and it is only with this commitment that people should conceive children.

This is to a large extent ignored by Catholics, but perhaps not as much as some people might think. I think a lot of Catholics, at least the ones I know, wouldn't necessarily wait until they're married, but at least until they are in a very committed long-term relationship and perhaps on their way to being married.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by smile)
what do people think? are any of you religious? because Catholics don't believe in sex before marriage, and then once you are married you're not meant to use contraception.
Even though I'm not catholic...I think I'm going to hell
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok - so hardly anyone follows these religions exacltly then?
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Even though I'm not catholic...I think I'm going to hell
Why Dani? You havent killed anyone have you?!
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I couldn't tell you. Most people I know have so far, in this respect, but they are still quite young, only 17.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I agree with sex before marriage. But there is a condition. I feel it would have to be with someone i cared about and not just some girl that i met in a club and don't even know her name and never intend to see her again.
same with me
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Bigncee...is that you in your avatar?
yep.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
In Judaism you're not supposed to have sex before marriage too. But that doesn't mean everyone follows that. Most Jewish people don't wait until they get married, and I'm sure that applies to Christians and Catholics unless they are really devoted to their religion.

I probaly would wait until after marriage, not just because you're supposed to in Judaism but because it's more special once married.
How do you know?
Besides, I think theres something in the idea that if you get a bit of experience first that you won't wonder what it's like after you're married.
J
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's Christians too (not about the contraception thing though) just no sex before marriage.
Catholics ARE Christians.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jndikum)
Catholics ARE Christians.
yes, it gets me so mad when people think that catholisim is a whole different religion. as a person that goes to church every week (because her parents make her) i can safely say i know what im talking about!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i dont believe in abstention before marriage, however, i am worried about the lack of regard for, or importance placed on, the values of marriage and the stability it provides not only for children but for society as a whole. religion no longer satisfies the needs of our society, but it has left a void that needs to be filled...quickly.
tessie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
peoples levels of following the religion vary.
i used to go to a christian school and i knew some ppl who followed the religion to the zillionth degree and some who ignored it completly. most christians ive found dont view them as "rules" more like guide lines.
also sex before marriage is supposedly sin, but mr jesus christ died on the cross to save mankind, so that god forgives sin. all u have to do to get into heaven is "accept gods gift" any sinning is forgiven.
or as is my understanding
to me sex before marriage is fine if u love the person
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
i dont believe in abstention before marriage, however, i am worried about the lack of regard for, or importance placed on, the values of marriage and the stability it provides not only for children but for society as a whole. religion no longer satisfies the needs of our society, but it has left a void that needs to be filled...quickly.
Does marrige really stabalise society? I know that from my experience marriage is an important area of family life but not nessecary! I dont really think we there are any particular voids however more value should be attached to marriage to prevent unessecary family breakdowns.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont believe in careless meaningless sex purely because of the possible damage to health. I have no problems with sex before marriage.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If there was no sex before marriage I can think of a couple of businesses that would go bust, clubs...alcohol companies...condom manufacturers.....people that make std pills.......cheap hotels.....car companies...
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
If there was no sex before marriage I can think of a couple of businesses that would go bust, clubs...alcohol companies...condom manufacturers.....people that make std pills.......cheap hotels.....car companies...
alcohol companies!? car companies!?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Does marrige really stabalise society? I know that from my experience marriage is an important area of family life but not nessecary! I dont really think we there are any particular voids however more value should be attached to marriage to prevent unessecary family breakdowns.
families without marriage = bad.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
29.63%
No (16)
59.26%
Don't know (3)
11.11%

Watched Threads