Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceman_jondoe)
    10 pages of notes
    Are you sure he just wasn't talking about his drama exam where you're ALLOWED 10 sides of notes? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It seems a lot of people on this site go to private schools, or selective grammer schools, if I went to one of these schools I would be offended at the idea that teachers help you to cheat as it is making out that your grades aren't as valuable because you had help to get them.

I however go to a local school, in a very deprived area, and yet still manage to get very good grades, what does this mean? That perhapes our teachers are cheating too because such people as me couldn't possible get the grades on our own merit coming from such a background? What will the news come up with next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fastrascal)

I however go to a local school, in a very deprived area,
    Martyr, martyr, martyr. Oh please. My boyfriend goes to a 'local' school, which is pretty crappy and he manages good grades, but I'd say at these schools grades are pretty much down to your own work ethic, and not the teachers.

That's from what I've seen anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well isn't that exactly what I just said?
    I wasn't being a martyr I was making an ironic statment which you might see if you read the post again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fastrascal)
    Well isn't that exactly what I just said?
    I wasn't being a martyr I was making an ironic statment which you might see if you read the post again.
    More jaded than ironic, methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomásíona - Mháire)
    BTW I wouldnt make an accusation like that on the internet........no offence.......cause you don't know if thats true or not..... xoxo
    Isn't that what the internet's for? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms Kooky)
    Most private schools are highly selective, and if you don't do well (ie: straight A/A* grades) you're liable to get kicked out.
    Which schools do that?!

ReputationRep:
    ^I know of a few, mine will allow everybody to stay as long as they can think of a programme for them (ie atleast 3AS that they have a chance of getting a good grade in).

ReputationRep:
    Well at the end of the day, if this is true then these kids will suffer majorly when they do go to uni, drop out and then it will be a waste of the teachers' time for cheating for their students! IF this is true- which i do doubt indeed!

ReputationRep:
    GRAMMAR SCHOOLS/PRIVATE ARE FULL of *****

ReputationRep:
    ^whatever mate, don't tar them all with the same brush

I know that people from the school where Rod Beavon (the overlord of Edexcel GCE Chemistry) teaches probably stand a better chance, as they pretty much get taught what would be on a mark scheme (not the actual answers, but the right definitions etc.) if you get me. It's not cheating, it's just really being taught the right things to get you the grades.

It's the way it is m'fraid

ReputationRep:
    i was about to make a long post saying how stupid everyone is, then i realised i had already done something along the same lines, in november. who brought this thread back!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parag)
    I know that people from the school where Rod Beavon (the overlord of Edexcel GCE Chemistry) teaches probably stand a better chance, as they pretty much get taught what would be on a mark scheme (not the actual answers, but the right definitions etc.) if you get me. It's not cheating, it's just really being taught the right things to get you the grades.

It's the way it is m'fraid
    I get you . Its not cheating, if the examiners know what is on the syllabus they will teach it to the letter. why wouldnt they? so if these examiners are teachers, they will of course, want to teach. whoever they teach will reap the benefits. just the way it goes...

does make me wish i had those sorts of opportunities! but i guess ive got my own 'luck' in other way, maybe that i dont even know about...:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its cheating, its just a case of knowing how to use the exams to your own advantage, and if you're at a school where the head examiners teach then you're obviously going to be more likely to get an A than someone else, as your teacher will know exactly what you need to know.
    One of my friends is at Eton and it sounds like hell. He didn't take any GCSE's other than the compulsary ones set by the government and is taking some strange combination of AS's, A2's and the IB. He is pretty much expected to get the highest possible marks for everything and spends his entire life at school... he got really annoyed with me when I made a comment about Price Harry's A levels once. I guess you're guarenteed to get more manipulation of the marks scheme in these schools as its what people pay for.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yea Eton's crazy, my mates bro goes there and he was given the option of taking 13 GCSEs or 8AS levels o_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanie)
    I don't think its cheating, its just a case of knowing how to use the exams to your own advantage, and if you're at a school where the head examiners teach then you're obviously going to be more likely to get an A than someone else, as your teacher will know exactly what you need to know.
    One of my friends is at Eton and it sounds like hell. He didn't take any GCSE's other than the compulsary ones set by the government and is taking some strange combination of AS's, A2's and the IB. He is pretty much expected to get the highest possible marks for everything and spends his entire life at school... he got really annoyed with me when I made a comment about Price Harry's A levels once. I guess you're guarenteed to get more manipulation of the marks scheme in these schools as its what people pay for.
    I wasn't aware they had the IB at Eton. He must be doing it in his own time - colleger I assume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    I wasn't aware they had the IB at Eton. He must be doing it in his own time - colleger I assume?
    I have no idea! In the state school system he'd be in his AS year at the moment, but obviously Eton is different and does everything in their own little way so hes not actually doing straight AS levels. He did some AS levels in his year 11 year, then he is doing something to do with the IB and A2's at the moment along with extra AS levels. Anyway, it always scares me when I think that his parents are paying more for his education than my mum earns in a year :eek: .... you get what you pay for.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a private school to do my GCSEs, i go to a state school now. At the state school i am at there is a guy that did 10 GCSEs, aswell as 2 AS's. He will end up with either 6 or 7 alevels. All As. As for the whole cheating, one of the teachers at my last school wrote the exam papers for chemisty, def GCSE im not sure about Alevel, but he never told us what was on, tho im sure we got taught better than a different school, cause he knows the way in which we needed to ans the question. I still got a C tho...hah.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Have u ever heard something called making up stories. Like i don't go to a private school, but a lot of my teachers were examiners and they give information e.g. I have seen this question a lot

Don't belive anything that u are told...

ReputationRep:
    ^That's really incoherant.

Who in their right mind brought this thread back to life anyway. It's a redundant arguement.

I wasn't aware that Eton ran the IB? I knew that they don't follow the same pattern of study (ie doing only AS in year 12 etc) as other schools, but Harrow's the same in that sense (they do all of AS and A2 exams in one sitting at the end of year 13)...

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.