The Student Room Group

How do people find car insurances for so cheap (i.e. <£1500) ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tface
Find a cheaper car to insure then, not difficult. Just as a quick example I was getting quotes of well over 4k for a corsa, but 1.5k for a polo. Keep looking :smile:

Well, I've tried almost every 'small' car and the cheapest was on a Ford Ka for 3700.
Reply 21
Original post by miike1234
Are you adding both your Mum and Dad to the policy as named drivers, that usually drops the insurance by a lot.

Oddly, adding my 17 year old sister whos still a learner reduced the price by £300 as well.

That's what I've been doing everytime. I don't know seriously what I'm doing wrong. My parents both have license for 19+ years.
Original post by Rich_183
Sorry but where is the evidence for this?

I don't know about "evidence" as such but you do sometimes need a bit of power to get yourself out of a developing or dangerous situation. The less power you have, the slower you'll move, the more dangerous the situation becomes.

An example that happened to me recently is that I was passing a lorry on the central lane of a 3-carriage motorway. He decided to overtake the lorry in front of him in the inside lane, and indicated and started to pull out. He clearly had no clue I was there. At this point I was maybe just behind the lorry cab.

I couldn't swerve out into the fast lane, and I couldn't just slam on the brakes (traffic behind me and he'd still have gone into me) so I had to accelerate past the cab to get in front. If I hadn't he'd have hit me and I don't think the end result would have been very pretty!

I understand that this is just one situation of many, but the point is that having that extra power can save your life! You don't need to be hitting the road in a V8 as soon as you've passed your test, but a 1L car has little more power than a moped in a body that's much heavier and if you got stuck in a situation like the one above then it would have been very dangerous.
Reply 23
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
Ok :smile: some tips:

add your parents as the main driver or named drivers, it WILL go down.

I thought that was illegal? Especially putting them as main driver if that's not going to be the case.
Original post by ily_em
I thought that was illegal? Especially putting them as main driver if that's not going to be the case.

It is illegal, it's a process known as "fronting".

There's nothing wrong with having parents as named drivers, but if you're the main driver then make sure you put yourself down as such.
Reply 25
Original post by Lil Piranha
I don't know about "evidence" as such but you do sometimes need a bit of power to get yourself out of a developing or dangerous situation. The less power you have, the slower you'll move, the more dangerous the situation becomes.

An example that happened to me recently is that I was passing a lorry on the central lane of a 3-carriage motorway. He decided to overtake the lorry in front of him in the inside lane, and indicated and started to pull out. He clearly had no clue I was there. At this point I was maybe just behind the lorry cab.

I couldn't swerve out into the fast lane, and I couldn't just slam on the brakes (traffic behind me and he'd still have gone into me) so I had to accelerate past the cab to get in front. If I hadn't he'd have hit me and I don't think the end result would have been very pretty!

I understand that this is just one situation of many, but the point is that having that extra power can save your life! You don't need to be hitting the road in a V8 as soon as you've passed your test, but a 1L car has little more power than a moped in a body that's much heavier and if you got stuck in a situation like the one above then it would have been very dangerous.

All about thinking ahead :wink: surely if your approaching something dodgey then do something earlier like checking ur mirrors and put ya foot down!!! I tend to try avoid those situations before they occur
Reply 26
Original post by Top Dog
Try comparison websites.

Admiral is usaully cheap so give that a go, me (provisional) and my mum dad and brother (passed) are all insured to drive my dads car (Vauxhall Astra) for under £1500.

Is there ever an option on insurances pages for Pass Plus? I have never seen one so if you find somewhere cheap trying phoning for a quote and mentioniong pass plus. Better yet get a quote over the phone and THEN mention pass plus, surely they would give you some discount.

I passed my test in Sept last year, and I drive an '09 (new shape) 1.6 Fiesta Econetic. I'm 21.

I pay about £650 for my insurance because:

a) I'm female

b) I live in a &quot;nice&quot; area (and have a private gated drive, less risk of theft etc).

c) I have a good car (ie. not a 1L with no power, not something thats either years old and/or has done tonnes of miles and has been run into the ground).

You're either just going to have to keep looking or save up your money for a little while.

What type of car are you trying to insurance? The older and smaller engine sizes will be cheaper. If you're trying to insure a special edition of any type, a car with a big engine or a newer car, your insurance will be put up. It will also be higher for your age, your area and the location of your car over night.

Insured last year, since then insurance prices have rose steeply :frown:

What car are you trying to insure?

Original post by Bubbles0ox
i'm a girl, 17, passed my test at the end of last year, got a 1.2 corsa and mine is £1000
try admiral, and add your parents as named drivers.

Original post by Cornish19
My insurance when I first passed was 1500 and then in the 2nd it went down by half to 750 but in my 3rd year, they were quoting me 900! I asked them why and they said it was because of all the claims they had this time last year with all the snow and ice and I guess with the weather problems we had in november/december won't help with the price.

That being said, a little shopping around and got it down to 515 with aviva. If it's any use, Im a 21 year old male who drives a 1.4.

Original post by tface
Find a cheaper car to insure then, not difficult. Just as a quick example I was getting quotes of well over 4k for a corsa, but 1.5k for a polo. Keep looking :smile:

Ok :smile: some tips:

add your parents as the main driver or named drivers, it WILL go down.

average yearly mileage under 10,000

social, domestic and pleasure only - no commuting

kept in a garage at night/private road

Original post by miike1234
Are you adding both your Mum and Dad to the policy as named drivers, that usually drops the insurance by a lot.

Oddly, adding my 17 year old sister whos still a learner reduced the price by £300 as well.

Should I rather call them or do it online? What way would it be cheaper if it makes any difference...
?
Reply 27
Original post by k.andy
Should I rather call them or do it online? What way would it be cheaper if it makes any difference...
?

Call them for cheaper quotes but be prepared to be driven insane by waiting music!!
All about thinking ahead :wink: surely if your approaching something dodgey then do something earlier like checking ur mirrors and put ya foot down!!! I tend to try avoid those situations before they occur

Well unfortunately other people can be very unpredictable! Doesn't matter how much you think ahead, you never know what's going to happen next (unless you're telepathic!)

There was nothing to suggest he was going to pull out and nothing dodgy about the situation until it happened - the indicators only came on as I was passing him (I reckon I was doing maybe 5-7 more mph than he was?).
Reply 29
Hey, often it depends on your postcode. My insurance used to be £800, then I moved and stupidly didn't check the insurance and when i changed my address it went up by 3 grand! Also it depends on the type of car/size of engine.

I wouldn't bother with "fronting". It often makes it cheaper when you put your parents as the main driver and you just as an additional driver, however, if you plan on living away from home in uni and have a crash in that city, the insurance companies will start asking questions and it can just get messy. I know a few people that have been caught out fronting and been totally screwed over. Plus that way you can't normally get your own no claims bonus.

However, it is often cheaper to just put someone else as an extra driver, even if your the main driver, it could make the insurance go down a bit.

There are also some insurers that cover you pretty cheaply so long as you don't drive between 11pm and 6am or something, if that might be an option for you.
Reply 30
Well unfortunately other people can be very unpredictable! Doesn't matter how much you think ahead, you never know what's going to happen next (unless you're telepathic!)

There was nothing to suggest he was going to pull out and nothing dodgy about the situation until it happened - the indicators only came on as I was passing him (I reckon I was doing maybe 5-7 more mph than he was?).

Yeah i know what you mean, ive had a fair few close shaves!! I mean hopefully one day I will have a more powerful car but in the mean time i cant even afford to drive a car!! I have to rely on buses/ tube :/
Call them for cheaper quotes but be prepared to be driven insane by waiting music!!

Not necessarily, the same company quoted my 4k over the phone and then 2k on a price comparison website.
Reply 32
Here's the things that I found helped with my insurance:
Added my parents as named drivers with me as the main
Be careful what occupation you put your parents down as having as some normal jobs can make insurance rocket
Check out the guide on the Martin Lewis site
Go through a cashback website
Preferably put your car down as being parked in a garage (if you have one)
Get a car that insurers don't think is typical for someone your age to drive i.e renault scenic or something
I'm 20 and have a '57 Golf 1.9TDI with my insurance at a little over £500, my brother has pretty much an identical car has the insurance at £550 so it can be done on the cheap!
Yeah i know what you mean, ive had a fair few close shaves!! I mean hopefully one day I will have a more powerful car but in the mean time i cant even afford to drive a car!! I have to rely on buses/ tube :/

Yeah, I'm lucky - the only way I've been able to afford my car/insurance etc was because I took a year out of uni last year and just worked solidly. I spent pretty much all my money on my car but it's been worth it!

My uncle's a police pursuit driver though, so during the year I also went out driving with him as well as in actual lessons with an instructor, it's amazing what driving instructors don't teach you!!

I also think the way the insurance is priced has changed is just because the companies want to make (even) more money.... They know most first time drivers will only be able to buy old / low-powered cars, so they've increased the prices on the basis of reliability and safety to get more profit!
Reply 34
Original post by Bubbles0ox
add your parents as named drivers and try admiral.

I just tried Admiral online for a VW Polo 1.0 and it came out to be £4280.73. Not what I'd like...
Reply 35
Original post by snufkin_
Hey, often it depends on your postcode. My insurance used to be £800, then I moved and stupidly didn't check the insurance and when i changed my address it went up by 3 grand! Also it depends on the type of car/size of engine.

I wouldn't bother with &quot;fronting&quot;. It often makes it cheaper when you put your parents as the main driver and you just as an additional driver, however, if you plan on living away from home in uni and have a crash in that city, the insurance companies will start asking questions and it can just get messy. I know a few people that have been caught out fronting and been totally screwed over. Plus that way you can't normally get your own no claims bonus.

However, it is often cheaper to just put someone else as an extra driver, even if your the main driver, it could make the insurance go down a bit.

There are also some insurers that cover you pretty cheaply so long as you don't drive between 11pm and 6am or something, if that might be an option for you.

Yeah I remember trying that as well. Don't remember the name of the company, but they offered it for £2800. Still way over the limit.
Original post by k.andy
I just tried Admiral online for a VW Polo 1.0 and it came out to be £4280.73. Not what I'd like...

:O really dont understand that, ring them.
Original post by Cornish19
My insurance when I first passed was 1500 and then in the 2nd it went down by half to 750 but in my 3rd year, they were quoting me 900! I asked them why and they said it was because of all the claims they had this time last year with all the snow and ice and I guess with the weather problems we had in november/december won't help with the price.

That being said, a little shopping around and got it down to 515 with aviva. If it's any use, Im a 21 year old male who drives a 1.4.

:shock: by half?
i went on comparethemarket :biggrin: my insurance is really good
Reply 39
Go on your parents. That's what I plan to do and its a lot cheaper. And don't just try the comparison websites. I tried some and were getting quotes of £3000+ just for third party. When I went to some companies direct i was getting quotes of around £1000 comprehensive.

Quick Reply