The Student Room Group

struggling with driving?

Ive had above 20 lessons of driving and the past few lessons ive been practising junctions and roundabouts,did a lot more roundabouts today but thing is i read up on it before the lesson but when it comes to the drive ,i dont have time to think and just end up rushing it and the instructor ends up telling me what to do. i feel like im not 100% concentrating and even though I try its not all going in. I try to do the junctions on my own but by the time im reaching one the instructor is already telling me what to do because im too late. Any tips on how i can improve on this ?
Reply 1
Practice makes perfect. Let your instructor talk you few it a few times and it'll become second nature.
Original post by rhstar
Ive had above 20 lessons of driving and the past few lessons ive been practising junctions and roundabouts,did a lot more roundabouts today but thing is i read up on it before the lesson but when it comes to the drive ,i dont have time to think and just end up rushing it and the instructor ends up telling me what to do. i feel like im not 100% concentrating and even though I try its not all going in. I try to do the junctions on my own but by the time im reaching one the instructor is already telling me what to do because im too late. Any tips on how i can improve on this ?

Hiya,

Your post concerns me. I read it that you are only doing junctions and roundabouts after 20 lessons. Have you done anything else? If not, then there is something wrong, either with your approach to driving or your instructor's ability to teach you.

In respect of your question, use the instructor's verbal direction to time your procedure. So, when the instruction 'At the end of road turn left' is given, immediately start your MSPSL routine. That way, you will have done everything in good time by the time you get to the end of the road. You do need to move beyond this 'mechanism' eventually but for the moment, it is a good technique to use.
'Two and six'

In the MSPSL routine, being mirror, signal, position, speed and look, the 'speed' bit needs to be managed so that you are bringing the clutch up on 2nd gear about 6 car lengths before entering the junction. Experience through practise will see you going.... mirrors and off gas, signal and lightly on brakes (if req'd), adjust position whilst clutching down, speed now at about 15mph the clutch comes up in 2nd at about 6 car lengths from the junction, look to see if it is clear to enter the junction and either stop or go.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Hiya,

Your post concerns me. I read it that you are only doing junctions and roundabouts after 20 lessons. Have you done anything else? If not, then there is something wrong, either with your approach to driving or your instructor's ability to teach you.

In respect of your question, use the instructor's verbal direction to time your procedure. So, when the instruction 'At the end of road turn left' is given, immediately start your MSPSL routine. That way, you will have done everything in good time by the time you get to the end of the road. You do need to move beyond this 'mechanism' eventually but for the moment, it is a good technique to use.

Hiya, in terms of something else,I have been practising the different manoeuvres ,shes been teaching me the turn in the road and i did parallell parking twice today.I have done left corner reverse twice ,bay once. But yes been doing right,left turns junctions,crossroads and roundabouts the last few lessons.is that bad? I dont even know,i feel upset because when i think of some of my lessons previously I was depressed and think that really did not help with my focus either.
I am the exact same. Although I've had much more lessons :P At least fifty hours, probably more.

I'm getting extremely slowly better. Although in general my reactions are good, something about driving has the tendency to throw me into a bit of a panic. I get told to do something and worry that I'll do it wrong so I end up rushing myself when all my brain is saying is 'you're going to do it wrong!!!' instead of calmly thinking through what I need to do.

My current instructor has done wonders though, he is extremely calm and understands that it's not that I'm not trying or even not concentrating, it's just that I need to practice til I don't have to think about it anymore.

I'm so much better on roundabouts and at certain manoeuvres now, while I used to have to spend like 10 minutes trying to turn the car around, I can do it very smoothly and quickly. Don't worry, you'll get there - everyone learns at different speeds :smile:
Make sure you get a good nights sleep, and try and eat something energy rich before your lessons, as this will help with your concentration.
I just hope you don't get to my position, i've been learning for 16 months (one lesson per week) and am apparently still not ready for my test :frown:
Reply 7
I wouldn't freak out too much, some people take longer than others to learn things and it will honestly all come with practice, I remember thinking I am never going to get this when I was doing my lessons and it was all down to my confidence on the road not my ability to drive. I had a few more lessons than most people but it's made me a better driver, I've been driving for 3 years without any incidents what so ever! So just stick at it, relax when you're in the car (not easy I know), and continue to follow her instructions.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Hiya,

Hiya, what exactly by something else?,I have been practising the different manoeuvres ,shes been teaching me the turn in the road and i did parallell parking twice today.I have done left corner reverse twice ,bay once. But yes been doing right,left turns junctions,crossroads and roundabouts the last few lessons.is that bad? I dont even know,i feel upset because when i think of some of my lessons previously I was depressed and think that really did not help with my focus either.
Thanks for the tip :smile:
You might just be nervous. When I get nervous I'm not very confident and that affects my driving. Remember, relax!

Quick Reply

Latest