Should prostitution be made legal? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this seems to be a current trend. we have problems with something illegal so lets just legalise it. cannabis, IVF treatment, prostitution...
the terrorists are threatening our planes, so lets end flights.

something is illegal for a reason and people should put more effort into combatting that and protecting society from its evils, than taking decisions because it means an easy life and criminality becoming acceptable.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it should be made legal, but if it was, do you think it would be as fun? And if it was made legal, don't you think it would get outta control after a while?
I don't know if it would be as fun I haven't tried it...
Blinkbaby
Report 16 years ago
I haven't either...I would never be a prostitute.
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some good points were made on this in a previous thread. Search for it
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
this seems to be a current trend. we have problems with something illegal so lets just legalise it. cannabis, IVF treatment, prostitution...

something is illegal for a reason and people should put more effort into combatting that and protecting society from its evils, than taking decisions because it means an easy life and criminality becoming acceptable.
The reason being??? You didn´t point out why prostitution is illegal. And a comparison with terrorism is certainly not suitable. Prostitution is the oldest business in the world as mentioned earlier which does not make it a nice business, but there is a point legalising things: when you can absolutely not prevent them from happening! e.g. Cannabis, for years there have been laws and laws and cops searched some young people and found some grass and and and I mean it hasn´t helped anything, has it?!?
There is something like a society agreement which things are OK and which not. Well, terrorism obviously belongs to the latter while prostitution is a big business, so you cannot simply ban it: there are a lot of people involved and therefore criminalized! The same applies to smoking pot, if a whole age group is smoking at least once in a while you can´t ignore this trend and say it is bad because it has always been bad, that´s a very narrow-minded and conservative argumentation. And last, our society has in fact accepted a lot of things (smoking, alcohol, fast driving) that are far more dangerous or harming.
By the way, in Germany prostitution is legal since years. The results are very positive, the business is limited to certain areas in the city which makes it easier for the police to check on the state of things, it is easier for smart protitutes to protect themselves from AIDS because the legal clubs have rules and are somewhat secure. Of course there are still too many eastern European girls getting abused but as somebody else said, if the business is illegal they will never dare to speak up for themselves.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
We were going to have this debate at school about whether or not prostitution should be made legal, but we weren’t allowed...so we planned to have it in secret but then our school got burnt down and so things went a bit pooey...so we can debate it here...

Ok...im for the legalisation of prostitution because there are so many girls from Eastern Europe and other places that are forced into by gangs and have no way out. They tend to be threatened and live their lives in fear of being caught and have no way but to submit to those men who happen to have forced them into it. So by legalising it many women, or in this case prostitutes, can call for help...giving them an escape way...

What do you guys think?!
they can ask for help anyway, but are too afraid. when push comes to shove pimps exist not just to sponge off working girls, but also as a deterannt against abusive punters
J
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

this assumes that criminality itself doesn't contribute greatly to the problem.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
prostitution is wrong. end of story.
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
prostitution is wrong. end of story.
That´s not the question here, it exists and the thread is about how to protect the ones suffering from it,don´t you think?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
That´s not the question here, it exists and the thread is about how to protect the ones suffering from it,don´t you think?
i no, but i hate to think of what a girl is doin when she is prostituting, some girls actually LIKE it!!! (like one girl on here bbbb)
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
i no, but i hate to think of what a girl is doin when she is prostituting, some girls actually LIKE it!!! (like one girl on here bbbb)
Well bbbb was a fake I´d say and wanted to provoke a bit. Anyway, if the girls like it you can´t say it´s wrong, can you? I personally can´t understand how they can like it and think that in many cases it might be an excuse for doing it, but... who knows?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If prostitution was legalised it would become a taxable industry if regulated by the government - what would be wrong with that?
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

what she said,

i do recognise that prositution is "popular" but it is all too easy to just go and legalise it because it is just accepted. the government would (and could) not go out and say that paying for sex is "right" or a acceptable thing to do. it has moral principles and paying for sex is not of them. To do so would open the floodgates for others to argue that illegal activites should be legalised
JuniperBlue
Report 16 years ago
Yes, legalise it. If men are willing to pay for sex, women will always be willing to take their money. But I'd never personally do it.
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JuniperBlue)
Yes, legalise it. If men are willing to pay for sex, women will always be willing to take their money. But I'd never personally do it.
Gotta disagree because it opens the doors for pimps and then some women may be forced to do it against their own will as well as children. Not a good idea but I see where your coming I think the same if people are willling to pair fair enough but there should be a legalisation of brothels where they can go and get it a controlled managed system
munchie_rox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i saw summat on TV called Bunny's house or something....it was run by a female (which i think wld make a difference), legal, and all the girls had check ups etc....i think street prostitution shld b banned.....and if it was legalised it shld be in the girls interests..ie perfect world scenario!
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kissmequick)
Gotta disagree because it opens the doors for pimps and then some women may be forced to do it against their own will as well as children. Not a good idea but I see where your coming I think the same if people are willling to pair fair enough but there should be a legalisation of brothels where they can go and get it a controlled managed system
well legalising it is supposed to take it out of the whole illegal world of pimps, drugs, forced prositution etc. If men had the choice they would go to legal brothels which are government regulated rather than dodgy ones they know nothing about.
Nigger
Report 16 years ago
Yes prostitution shold be legalised I dont understand why it isnt really. If it was legalised it would be much safer for the ho's and hookers too, because they can sell their pussies in a safer environment and get they pussies tested medically and that.

And why did someone say "things are illegal for a reason"? What is that reason then? And think about it, in the 1950s and 1960s especially in ameria you could get jailed for about 15yrs to life jus for possesing cannabis. And may people did. Do you think thats right? things change get used to it.
greenrevolt
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Blinkbaby)
I haven't either...I would never be a prostitute.
but what do u define as prostitute?
arent women who get married to rich men and vice versa for their money, prostitutes?
and are prostitutes only paid with money?
Lets say I have sex with George Bush so that he wont abolish gay marriages doesnt this make me a prostitute? and a male gay prostitue as such?:P
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Your comparison with terrorism does not hold water: A cannabis-user, a woman who has IVF treatment and a prostitute do not harm other people or society. A terrorist does.

Even though things that harm society are often assiociated with cannabis and prostitution, smoking pot or selling your body are things that in themselves do not harm society. Hence, there is no reason to ban them.

YOU may think that prostitution is morally wrong. That's your right. But who are you to impose your moral standards upon others?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads