The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
ben2111
Germany: around 30 different tiny states before 1870, totally differnet cultures and even languages. United under the interests of a SOCIETY to defend against / attack the French. Since then oe country and still somebody from Hamburg does not understand somebody from Munich, take my word for it.

so how is this society being a consequence of culture? youve just given an example to disprove ur point.
Reply 121
vienna95
so how is this society being a consequence of culture? youve just given an example to disprove ur point.

no no, I did not say society MUST be a consequence of culture, the Germans do not have such a strong CONNECTION between the two (compared to the muslims, foe example). But please bring me an example for a culture being the result of a society
Reply 122
vienna95
mr compassion.

mr realistic

mr impartial

mr quick

no contradiction? You tired?
Reply 123
ben2111
no no, I did not say society MUST be a consequence of culture, the Germans do not have such a strong CONNECTION between the two (compared to the muslims, foe example). But please bring me an example for a culture being the result of a society

so what exactly was the example of?

america was founded by immigrants of different races, history and ethnic backgrounds, this translated itself into a culture and democratic constitution that embraced plurality and the value of liberty under the umbrella of American society.
Reply 124
ben2111
no contradiction? You tired?

subtle sarcasm, a British trait.
Reply 125
vienna95

america was founded by immigrants of different races, history and ethnic backgrounds, this translated itself into a culture and democratic constitution that embraced plurality and the value of liberty under the umbrella of American society.

Exactly it was not a very high culture and it still is not!
Reply 126
vienna95

Plurality, McCarthy style?
Reply 127
vienna95
subtle sarcasm, a British trait.

Oh, thanks!
Reply 128
ben2111
Exactly it was not a very high culture and it still is not!

now youve lost me.
Reply 129
Eternal Idol

Welcome Idol, vienna and me just started to feel isolated :biggrin:
Reply 130
ben2111
Welcome Idol, vienna and me just started to feel isolated :biggrin:

Hehehe.
The only problem is that if I say 1+1=2 she would say that 1+1!=2.

:biggrin:
Reply 131
Eternal Idol

elaborate...
Reply 132
vienna95
now youve lost me.

No,even though I did not mean the comment exactly like I said it there is something about it - depending how you define culture. I would say a culture is as strong as it´s charateristics are special and serious. Hard to explain what I mean... I do not really consider a melting pot with a small average value at the bottom (McDonalds if you know what I mean) as culture
Even though it seems very appealing.
Reply 133
vienna95
elaborate...

I don't need to ... if you don't know what I'm talking about search it in google and if you know (what I think) just admit that I'm right.
Reply 134
ben2111
No, the peace troups by the UN do not. That is their purpose. The Americans could just support these troups better and would not have to worry about their international rep. Besides that, I was actually not right: that the AMericans intervened in WW II was the last truely political action without concrete interests, at least in the beginning.

not really, they entered cos they had been attacked by the Japanese and the UN always wants some gain otherwise why havnt they sorted out Zimbabwe
Reply 135
ben2111
I do not really consider a melting pot with a small average value at the bottom (McDonalds if you know what I mean) as culture
Even though it seems very appealing.

where are you?
Reply 136
JSM
not really, they entered cos they had been attacked by the Japanese and the UN always wants some gain otherwise why havnt they sorted out Zimbabwe

I agree with you JSM. Hehe.
But then they built the propaganda of nazi killers ... who can buy that?
They didn't care about was happening until Japan touched their ass.
Reply 137
Eternal Idol

mcarthyism was only a single era
Reply 138
Eternal Idol
I don't need to ... if you don't know what I'm talking about search it in google and if you know (what I think) just admit that I'm right.

i thought you used encarta?

i dont see exactly how anti-communism is related to plurality.
Reply 139
JSM

Well the question about the USA and WWII seems difficult. The UN has not intervened in Zimbabwe because there has not been a war yet, how would they go about stopping what is happening? They would need a lot of people. That is what I am saying, they are jsut not big and important enough. But admittedly, the crisis in Zimbabwe would be easier to stop using international pressure - but nobody seems to be bothered except South Africa and they are not strong enough alone.

Latest

Trending

Trending