Turn on thread page Beta

Does your generation have 'better' morals than your parents' generation? watch

ReputationRep:
    On the whole, do you think people between the ages of 15 and 25 have a 'better' moral code than those of 45 and over? Or have moral values declined, generally?

Whatever your answer, do you think this applies to you personally? (Ie, you might think that you are more morally upstanding than your parents, but that young people are generally a bunch of scallywags).

This might form part of a big research project, so please think about your answers carefully (don't worry - I won't quote anyone, just want to get a general feeling for the subject).

ReputationRep:
    We're becomming more liberal but less disciplined.

And yeah, that's the case for EVERYONE.

ReputationRep:
    My parents generation grew up in the 60's. That's about the most dysfunctional generation ever to have existed IMO.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Trousers)
    On the whole, do you think people between the ages of 15 and 25 have a 'better' moral code than those of 45 and over? Or have moral values declined, generally?

Whatever your answer, do you think this applies to you personally? (Ie, you might think that you are more morally upstanding than your parents, but that young people are generally a bunch of scallywags).

This might form part of a big research project, so please think about your answers carefully (don't worry - I won't quote anyone, just want to get a general feeling for the subject).
    yeh i think morals are lower now but that could be because whatever morals that exsited in earlier generations were forced upon the kids back then and if u disobeyed the morals u were disowned, killed, bits chopped off,things to that effect bascially but then again still the kids today have no morals i think.i think i'm a bit worse than my parents but not that far off if you know what i mean.what about urself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shylock30012001)
    what about urself?
    I'm inclined to say that, since morals are so wide-reaching, things may be completely balanced between the generations, but it's difficult to answer the question without bringing your own moral judgements to the table.

For instance, the younger generation is morally 'better', in my opinion, because it is more tolerant of different races, sexual preferences, religions and views (I hope so, anyway). But it is morally 'worse' in everyday matters like good manners and abiding by the law.

It's incredibly difficult to say, though, when you're bombarded with news stories about how kids these days are a bunch of directionless, amoral yoghurts - and you know that this only applies to the minority, but you're not sure how big this minority is.

ReputationRep:
    but the 15-25, 80's generation are more aware of what you can do for other people and do it. i think we are more tolerant when it comes to different races, sexual preferences, religions and views like you said.

Howard, care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    Society is definitely in decline. I blame this drink culture much of the youth have. Older people are far more decent.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with you trousers, but our generations views on sex etc, have totally changed. when it comes to sex, most of our generation has no morals, whereas our parents generation, when they were young, they had totally different views on sex etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legbreakgoogly)
    Society is definitely in decline. I blame this drink culture much of the youth have. Older people are far more decent.
    but how they look at people from different cultures isn't decent. they don't accept it as much as we do in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wojewodztwo_pl)
    i agree with you trousers, but our generations views on sex etc, have totally changed. when it comes to sex, most of our generation has no morals, whereas our parents generation, when they were young, they had totally different views on sex etc.
    Perhaps our generation has just developed new morals.

For instance, many people would say that it's wrong to enter into marriage and have children without getting to know the other person first, because a break-up will have a huge effect on the kids - would you say that this view was almost universally held in Western cultures now? Can it be considered part of a new moral code that our grandparents' generation didn't have?

It's dangerous to start saying certain people 'have no morals' - I can't think of anyone I know who has a complete absence of morals when it comes to sex, but these morals have changed a great deal since my parents were my age. For instance, we might have more casual sex now, but we have adapted social rules about being physically safe and wearing condoms (well, the majority have).
    --------------
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    but how they look at people from different cultures isn't decent. they don't accept it as much as we do in my opinion.
    I think you're right. All of my grandparents (the ones that were alive for long enough for me to get to know them, anyway) have had very right-wing views. In my experience, they just haven't been able to accept that gay people and black people (for instance) don't deserve to be treated as second-class citizens. Is this decent?

Legbreakgoogly, I'm interested to know exactly what you meant by 'decent' - I get the impression that you were talking about specific types of behaviour, like politeness and friendliness. Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    Left- and right- wing labels tend to be misleading. Thirty years ago, almost everybody was "right wing" because being left wing = communist = enemy.

I would argue that we have moved from a paternalistic conservative society (my parent's generation) to a more modern, liberal society (our generation). We are generally more liberal in all spheres of life, be it economic, social or political.

ReputationRep:
    I think the moral codes are different, but of equal merits.

I am at a sixth form now and can strongly say that there are two definite groups, people with strong moral codes and people with weak or 'no' moral code. there seems to be very little in between. Older generations tend to have a more constant moral code, whereby politeness and manners tend to be ubiquitous. However older generation also are more ahppy to abuse/ignore their moral code when it suits them. My mum will complain about gossips in the street, but she does it just as much. Basically as we all get older and wiser, those with strong moral codes become less naive and begin to break it more. Those with weak moral codes tend to develop stronger ones as they realise the need to be civil to get on in this world.

I would say my moral code is stronger than my parents, but then again I don't have to balance with the matters that can often cause people to abuse their morals. Overall I wouldn't say todays generation is any more or less moral than older generations, however the spread of these morals, what subjects they incorporate (discrimination, courtesy) and most importantly how they are applied is completely difference.

I hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat Loaf Rocks)
    My mum will complain about gossips in the street, but she does it just as much.
    Typical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Typical.
    quite a trivial example really, but it is something I think most parents do

(Original post by Howard)
    My parents generation grew up in the 60's. That's about the most dysfunctional generation ever to have existed IMO.
    Well Howie, remember, that was the 1st generation of the revolutionary "pill"........., Timothy Leary and LSD, gay sex clubs, Playboy clubs and wife swapping parties.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not. Morals have declined.

I think, I personally hold my morals. - differing to the generation slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Well Howie, remember, that was the 1st generation of the revolutionary "pill"........., Timothy Leary and LSD, gay sex clubs, Playboy clubs and wife swapping parties.
    Sounds rather fun actually.

(Original post by Howard)
    Sounds rather fun actually.
    Dysfunctionality *can* be fun..........you just have to know when to stop.

A lot of you people are thinking about this far too much. If anything, we should simply acknowledge that all people below the age of 20 are scum, and start considering what organs they have that can be harvested and used for ourselves.

Bring back death by caning, and the days before the liberals invented sex.

Well, as Howie pointed, immorality may have peaked in the '60's. patriotism peaked in the '40's, abortion peaked in the '90's, hate for the U.S. peaked in the '00's.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.