Turn on thread page Beta

Interviews watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Girls, what do you/are planning to wear to university interviews? x

ReputationRep:
    OMG so not even thought about that yet so need to finish my ucas as well!

when are they??? march???

if so im thinking a nive skirt n boots and a smart top or maybe tailored shorts with my boots and my smart black jacket with bell sleaves n probably a sequin scarf!

ReputationRep:
    ah a scarf, good idea. I got one in a week and a bit! scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shopaholic_soph)
    if so im thinking a nive skirt n boots and a smart top or maybe tailored shorts with my boots and my smart black jacket with bell sleaves n probably a sequin scarf!
    Ooh, prettiness.

I've had an interview, and to that I wore a pair of platform t-bars, a black puff/pencil skirt (high-waisted) and a plain red top. Dramatic look, but it was an art and design school so I fit in.

To more traditional unis, I'm thinking black pencil skirt, platform heels and cropped jacket (either teal green with bell sleeves or in black and white pressed wool).

Lots of people will probably wear suits, but that's a bit boring, especially if you like your fashion. Might as well look good.

I wore a fitted white shirt, black trousers, black shoes and a black pinstriped fitted blazer to my mock job interviews at my school.

I was so surprised when my interviewer gave me a 10 for appearance!

ReputationRep:
    long black skirt, red high necked top, and a great little jacket
    Oh, and black boots

ReputationRep:
    I wore a brown skirt, a white top and a pretty brown cardigan that ties up. And ballet pumps lol. I got a place so i guess it werent a bad choice

For some I wore black pinstripe trousers and a fitted pink shirt and my polka dot rocket dog pumps. For others I just wore brown cords and a v-neck jumper and I wore jeans and v-neck top to one too. I don't think it matters too much what you wear to be honest. When I went to Manchester in the pinstripe trousers and shirt I seemed to be the smartest person there. My friend went at the same time and work baggy jeans and a tshirt.

ReputationRep:
    I just wore some tweed-like trousers and a cardi...I felt over-dressed though, most people were just in jeans

ReputationRep:
    Yep, some people were just in t-shirts and jeans, there was only like 2 people wearing suits. Just wear whatever u feel comfortable in

ReputationRep:
    i don;t go to uni but to all my job interviews i wear a blose with a black rap around thing on it, black crop trousers and black boots with either my brown fitted jacket or my blue helly hansen jacket!!

i usaly look like i am on my way to a funeral!!

ReputationRep:
    I got in to everywhere I wore jeans... Win!

All the guys were wearing suits though, it was really funny.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone else tell me what they wore?

ReputationRep:
    I had interviews two years ago now (what a scary thought!) so maybe this isn't as stylish now as it was then, but to get the idea of how formal...

I wore a thin denim asymmetrical rag skirt (it sounds horrid but I still love it now, is by Traffic People) and black tights and black pumps with pointed toes and a heart on the front of each shoe (the right shoe had puppies in it, the right one kittens), and a nice black long sleeved top and a string of pearls. This was at Cambridge, so some people were really fancily dressed, in suits and such, but I didn't feel out of place and a person I met there who ended up getting a place wore cords and a t-shirt, so I'm pretty sure you don't get extra ticks for formality.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine almost 3 years ago now...aggh, scary! It was Oxford, and I went for smart casual - grey trousers and a black fluffy jumper for both, with black shoes/boots (how weird, I can't remember, usually I can remember little details like that!) plus my huge furry coat most of the time because it was freezing! Most of the girls seemed to be goign for the non-jean trousers with a top, basically smart casual. At the end of the day it won't make a huge difference, but I found that making a bit of an effort helped me in the interview because my clothes put me in 'interview' mode, if that makes sense - I like to dress for the right feeling, I would have felt wrong being too casual, because it would have made me think 'relaxation' not 'interview'.

I would also advise a certain degree of formality even if you do wear jeans - don't wear ripped ones and a scruffy top. They probably won't notice that much what you wear (as I said it's more about what you feel comfortable in) but being too scruffy does send out the message that you don't really care that much about the interview, even if this is not true. Even the most vague of tutors/interviewers, even at Oxbridge, will probably notice if you look as if you have just crawled out of bed and it will not make a favourable impression - you don't want to start off on the wrong foot!
    This may seem like a double standard if you turn up and your interviewer looks as though he has just been dug up, never mind got up! However, you can't guarantee that your interviewer will be a zombie who has to be reminded that you are in the room, so don't chance it! Even if you are applying to somewhere where this is likely...

Sorry, long post, but I'm incapable of keeping them short! Good luck with your interviews everyone who has them coming.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview on wednesday, then one the week after next and again the week after that! I'm thinking I'm going to wear my lovely new long denim skirt with some black boots, a smart-ish top, with my green blazer or possibly a black knitted jumper I have which looks really nice. Does this sound ok?!
    Edit: Oh and the interview I'm most concerned about is at Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so many interviews! What subject are you applying for? That outfit sounds great...and nice for interviews too I think the skirt and boots combo is great for interviews (well, maybe not job ones, but I know nothing about those!) as it's still reasonably casual but shows some effort; uni interviews are probably easier to dress for as the same things apply wherever you want to go for whatever subject...at least I think so! Probably if you were going for an art school interview you could get away with being more 'creative' (if you see my point) than for e.g. a medicine interview, but basically I think it's the same everywhere.

Sorry, that last bit was a general ramble that probably made no sense! Good luck with your interviews Cate, hope Bristol works out! And to everyone else too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tritogeneia1)
    Wow, so many interviews! What subject are you applying for? That outfit sounds great...and nice for interviews too I think the skirt and boots combo is great for interviews (well, maybe not job ones, but I know nothing about those!) as it's still reasonably casual but shows some effort; uni interviews are probably easier to dress for as the same things apply wherever you want to go for whatever subject...at least I think so! Probably if you were going for an art school interview you could get away with being more 'creative' (if you see my point) than for e.g. a medicine interview, but basically I think it's the same everywhere.

Sorry, that last bit was a general ramble that probably made no sense! Good luck with your interviews Cate, hope Bristol works out! And to everyone else too...
    Thanks! I'm applying for environmental geoscience, and they're all informal interviews luckily.

ReputationRep:
    i plan to wear dark grey trousers and a purple shirt, maybe with a black cardi i have to an interview im hoping to get (oxford )
    purple shirt sounds nasty but i saw this really nice one in gap the other day that i hope to get.
    dunno about shoes yet...i may have to scam some from a friend...

ReputationRep:
    would black skinny jeans
    simple white shirt
    and black jacket & black pumps combination look alright for nursing interview ? or should it rather be normal black trousers ? thank you for any advice given.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.