re-application for a different subject? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sarah101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I applied this year to do French and German at Cambridge but was rejected without being pooled. However my teachers seemed genuinely shocked and thought I should have earned a place, as did an oxbridge graduate with whom I had a practice interview. I have good grades at AS-level and GCSE (as do all potential oxbridge candidates) and a wide range of extra-curricular activities.

I have been wondering if applying for modern languages was a mistake. I am currently studying French, German and English lit., but when deciding what course to do at uni decided on French and German as I was told by many that it had better employment prospects and was a lot easier to get into. I am the best foreign language student at my school but I go to a tiny comprehensive where languages are generally very unpopular, so it doesn't count for a lot. I got one of the top 5 marks in the country for English lit. GCSE and have always enjoyed doing wider reading beyond the course, much more than the wider reading which I had to force myself to do in French and German. I have finally realised what people mean when they talk about needing a "passion" for your subject and I think that mine is for English, not modern languages.

Although I had managed to convince myself that I wanted to study French and German, when faced with the prospect of doing it at another university I find myself filled with dread, and to be honest think I only applied for it because I thought it would be easier to get into.

I am aware that there are other good universities out there, but Cambridge has always been my dream and I wouldn't like to think I didn't give it my best shot, which I believe is what happened.

Is it worth re-applying to Cambridge to do a different subject (which is more competitive), knowing that the competition will be EXTREMELY tough due to top-up fees and that I will have to explain why I have changed subjects? I have no real indication as to whether or not I would be good enough, having previously applied for a different subject. Has anyone been succesful in re-applying for a different subject, or know someone else who was? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sarah101)
I applied this year to do French and German at Cambridge but was rejected without being pooled. However my teachers seemed genuinely shocked and thought I should have earned a place, as did an oxbridge graduate with whom I had a practice interview. I have good grades at AS-level and GCSE (as do all potential oxbridge candidates) and a wide range of extra-curricular activities.

Is it worth re-applying to Cambridge to do a different subject (which is more competitive), knowing that the competition will be EXTREMELY tough due to top-up fees and that I will have to explain why I have changed subjects? I have no real indication as to whether or not I would be good enough, having previously applied for a different subject. Has anyone been succesful in re-applying for a different subject, or know someone else who was? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

How would you explain the change of subject? They'd be almost certain to ask you.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also English is generally more competitive than languages isnt it?
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And I'd be careful about reapplying because everyone who can, will probably be applying next year due to the top up fees. That means that you'll be fighting against all the extra people who don't want to avoid a gap year, or have decided to go to uni after working for a few years, just to avoid the top up fees. Because it is so competitive and between the very best, it can be well pot luck sometimes, unless you are einstein the probability of you gaining a place may go down. That said a dream is a dream, and you may hate yourself for not re-applying in the subject you love. Be careful though, how would u feel to be rejected again?? Would it be the end of the world for you? if that's the case then you probably shouldn't reapply. If you think you could cope well hey thats great!!

Btw would you have to explain why you changed your subject? If you applied to a different col, I don't see how they would know.
tomek J.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sarah101)

I have been wondering if applying for modern languages was a mistake. I am currently studying French, German and English lit., but when deciding what course to do at uni decided on French and German as I was told by many that it had better employment prospects and was a lot easier to get into. I am the best foreign language student at my school but I go to a tiny comprehensive where languages are generally very unpopular, so it doesn't count for a lot. I got one of the top 5 marks in the country for English lit. GCSE and have always enjoyed doing wider reading beyond the course, much more than the wider reading which I had to force myself to do in French and German. I have finally realised what people mean when they talk about needing a "passion" for your subject and I think that mine is for English, not modern languages.

Although I had managed to convince myself that I wanted to study French and German, when faced with the prospect of doing it at another university I find myself filled with dread, and to be honest think I only applied for it because I thought it would be easier to get into.

I am aware that there are other good universities out there, but Cambridge has always been my dream and I wouldn't like to think I didn't give it my best shot, which I believe is what happened.

hello sarah, interesting to hear about your case. I think it is very rare that people reapply for a different subject, but I do in fact belong to this species. Last year I applied for Law, and i was pooled and then rejected. I called my Interviewer up and talked to him, and he said that they had pooled my because they didn't think Law was for me. I reapplied for SPS this year and I got in.
Obviously, it's important to know now that English is REALLY what you want to do (you sound like it is). Talk to some of your teachers, tell them about your problem and maybe they can help you. You shoudl call up your interviewers at cambridge and talk to them. Don't be scared to call them, this is their job, and they will remember you (also, a reapplication takes a lot of courage, so you shouldn't be intimidated by a simple phone call). I am sure they will be willing to help you and tell you honestly what they think about you. I can understand that Cambridge is really what you want (because it was for me too), but before reapplying you have to make sure you would survive to be rejected again. Find yourself a uni that you woudl want to go to, and try to distance yourself emotionally from Cambridge - after all, it really isn't everything (although it's easy for me to say this now that I am in, I really did get this attitude before my letter came). Also, you need some good Gap Year plans, and you should do something related to your subject. This is your chance to show them that you are worthy of getting a place, so you shouldn't just look on the Gap Year as the time between your two Cambridge applications...it has to be worthwhile even if you don't get in again.
good luck, believe in yourself and never give up hope.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads