Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I find lecturers are a kind of "drip...drip...drip" style of learning where its a slow constant influx of information which slowly unravels in your head later in time as you think about things. That is useful, but I wouldn't say most of what I actually know from my course is the result of being in the lecture.

Supervisions (an hour long, one supervisor, 2 students) are the opposite. They can be completely devoid of learning anything new sometimes, or they can have completely devoid except for the one or two moments of blinding realisation where its "OOOOHHHH, so thats how that works!!" and suddenly you get how to do 3 or 4 questions at once.

Overall though its the hours of effort put in for doing work for the supervisions I think. Since its a 2 on 1 supervision, you cannot secretly get by without doing any work, either you do the work or get into trouble.

Well, actually that was how my undergrad went. Now I've "example classes" much more like other universities "seminars" where its 5~20 people in a group with the supervisor/lecturer going over material and asking questions of the group. Much easier to do nothing and get by because noone checks up on you. Half the time they don't even register who has turned up! Still, if I decided "Screw it, I'm not doing work for that course" and just lie about how much I've done I'm only hurting myself and it'll bite me in the ass come the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    what's the difference between a supervision and a tutorial for you?
    A tutorial is a meeting with your personal tutor (a member of academic staff) in groups of 4, though you can arrange a seperate appointment by yourself if there's anything you want to discuss. In tutorials you normally talk about mathematics and how you're getting on more generally, though you can ask individual questions if you want to.
    A supervision is a meeting with a 4th year or postgraduate student, in the same group of 4 as you meet your personal tutor with. Here you'll talk about the modules you're doing now, what you're having trouble with, what you've been learning, and some of the examples sheets. Supervisors also mark most of your assignments in the first year.
    Supervisions are usually really enjoyable and you can learn quite a lot. Tutorials are also useful but I don't find them quite as useful as I do supervisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    A tutorial is a meeting with your personal tutor (a member of academic staff) in groups of 4, though you can arrange a seperate appointment by yourself if there's anything you want to discuss. In tutorials you normally talk about mathematics and how you're getting on more generally, though you can ask individual questions if you want to.
    A supervision is a meeting with a 4th year or postgraduate student, in the same group of 4 as you meet your personal tutor with. Here you'll talk about the modules you're doing now, what you're having trouble with, what you've been learning, and some of the examples sheets. Supervisors also mark most of your assignments in the first year.
    Supervisions are usually really enjoyable and you can learn quite a lot. Tutorials are also useful but I don't find them quite as useful as I do supervisions.
    ooh right, that's quite subtle.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.