This discussion is closed.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Here's a question for all of you: Should Organ Donation be "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" (i.e. instead of having to carry an Organ Donor card, it would be assumed on death that the deceased wanted their organs donated after death, but those with any feelings against the idea could "opt-out"). It would certainly help in the shortage (many people want to donate body parts but never get around to it) but perhaps some could see it as immoral or against human rights. What do you reckon?
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
people should be able to choose, not "unchoose"

it should be more widely advertised, eg 18th birthday you get a form ROFL that would be so funny
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magicalsausage)
Here's a question for all of you: Should Organ Donation be "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" (i.e. instead of having to carry an Organ Donor card, it would be assumed on death that the deceased wanted their organs donated after death, but those with any feelings against the idea could "opt-out"). It would certainly help in the shortage (many people want to donate body parts but never get around to it) but perhaps some could see it as immoral or against human rights. What do you reckon?
I agree with it once I am dead I don't care what happens to my body if it can help overs then why not?

P.S I iike your avator it reminds me of a lot of New Order LP covers.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I agree with it once I am dead I don't care what happens to my body if it can help overs then why not?

P.S I iike your avator it reminds me of a lot of New Order LP covers.
Yeah, once I'm dead I doubt I'll care what happens to my body, and it's better off helping somebody else than being cremated with me for no particular reason.

As regards the Avatar - ta! I just made it today in PSP.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
people should be able to choose, not "unchoose"

it should be more widely advertised, eg 18th birthday you get a form ROFL that would be so funny
I can't disagree more with that. Choice is tha bility to say yes or no. IF you can't be bothered to say no then thats your problem, and someone else's gain. Basically people
a) Doin't figure on dying
b) Their family must consent - and often can't be reached in time.
c) There are soooo many people ill in this country waiting for donors, and so many good candidates dying without having a donor card.
d) did u know that they never used to have donor problems until seat belts became compulsory?
J
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They should make more adverts on TV to advertise organ donating. I'm not sure whether I'd like to donate my organs, I think I would since they'd just waste away if I didn't.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes I do think it should be opt-put. And I would opt out of letting them have skin, cornea and inner-ear. Anything properly internal -leart, liver, lungs, kidneys, pancreas whatever, they're welcome to.
Evil Muffin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Apparently, you can donate your eyes (after you've died obviously). I'm completely in favour of donating organs, but my eyes are a very personal and individual part of me. Wouldn't it be a little strange for your relatives to know that there's someone walking around with their deceased relative's eyes? What do you think?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
Apparently, you can donate your eyes (after you've died obviously). I'm completely in favour of donating organs, but my eyes are a very personal and individual part of me. Wouldn't it be a little strange for your relatives to know that there's someone walking around with their deceased relative's eyes? What do you think?
But when you are dead, you wont need them, they'll just waste away.
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would want any part of my body to be donated. Once i'm dead i'm only going to be burnt. I'd prefer to die knowing that I have the possibility of helping other people live!

And to those who say that they would never donate their organs...A question... If you suddenly had an organ failure or something, or when you have children they needed an organ, would you want someone's organ to save your/your childs life? If the answer is yes, then that means that you expect other people to donate their organs, thus so should you.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Aye, you can donate your corneas. I wouldn't do it, because then the wake would be very gruesome and traumatic for everyone!
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emma_)
I would want any part of my body to be donated. Once i'm dead i'm only going to be burnt. I'd prefer to die knowing that I have the possibility of helping other people live!

And to those who say that they would never donate their organs...A question... If you suddenly had an organ failure or something, or when you have children they needed an organ, would you want someone's organ to save your/your childs life? If the answer is yes, then that means that you expect other people to donate their organs, thus so should you.
Exactly thats one reason why saying you can't donate my organs is selfish.

This thread though important and a great discussion is kind of depressing.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emma_)

And then you'll still live on! Very good way of preservation.
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I completely agree with the whole eye thing... but I would still donate them. If I could hardly see a thing, and someone gave me their corneas, it would transform my life. I would want to do the same to someone else. I'm going to be burnt so my eyes would only be burnt. Sorry to be graphic... but if you're going to be buried... you're only going to rot, and if you're worried about a wake, i'm sure your eyes would be closed so noone would see! I would hate to have a wake. I saw my grandfather after he had died a few months ago... it didn't look one bit like him whatsoever.
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
And then you'll still live on! Very good way of preservation.
hehe yea i kind of like the idea of different parts of my body wondering around after i'm gone!

Plus, it must be nice for your family and friends to know that your death wasn't all bad, because you managed to save x number of peoples lives.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Aye, you can donate your corneas. I wouldn't do it, because then the wake would be very gruesome and traumatic for everyone!
Are you planning to have your wake with your eyelids open??

G
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Are you planning to have your wake with your eyelids open??

G

Well your husband or closest relative or whatever usually closes them, so they couldn't do that.
And they'd have to stuff your eyelids or something at the wake so they wouldn't be all empty.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well your husband or closest relative or whatever usually closes them, so they couldn't do that.
And they'd have to stuff your eyelids or something at the wake so they wouldn't be all empty.
Ah! I see!! [no bad joke intended]

G
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
Do you have any idea what the corneas actually are? Or how you would look minus your own?
J
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, it should be opt-out.

That way, people who would be willing to give organs but who havn't given it much thought (often they are people who die quite young and suddenly) would have their organs given for transplants and those who really don't want it would have to ensure they opt-out.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads