This discussion is closed.
Unhappy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Any ideas for good things to do on a gap year for the study of french and german at top universities, if poss the activities should be beneficial to a future application to university/career. I also like mod cons so couldn't do anything without a nice bed - sorry! Thanks for your help!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
travel around france and jermany, perhaps getting a job there teaching english ore something similar.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah u could even goto some random french or german speaking place.
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
having a trip around the world may not be a bad idea !!!
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could get a job on a private super yacht over a year. They visit all sorts of places in the Med and Carribean which speak French and Spanish and...there are always Germans anywhere you go!
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
You could get a job on a private super yacht over a year. They visit all sorts of places in the Med and Carribean which speak French and Spanish and...there are always Germans anywhere you go!

not a bad idea at all....btu do'nt they need any qualifications ???
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
not a bad idea at all....btu do'nt they need any qualifications ???
Apart from 3 and a half days of training no. Two days doing a firefighting course and the one a sea survival course. Half a day for a first aid course. A lot of it is death by powerpoint but you get to do real fire fighting exercises and a simulated ship evacuations. I did it last year it was quite fun.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Taking a gap year was the biggest mistake I ever made
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
On the other hand its probably the best thing I can do to get taken on by a big law firm.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
On the other hand its probably the best thing I can do to get taken on by a big law firm.
wow you're a prospective lawyer! sporty, musical, talented.... you seem to have it all! what have you done in your gap so far besides training with Orrel/Southampton?
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
umm, I think the best thing is just to spend time teaching there. a few friends of mine sorted out a deal to stay in some boarding school, and fill the role of general teaching/english assistant. It helped them no end, and impressed the universities as well.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unhappy)
Any ideas for good things to do on a gap year for the study of french and german at top universities, if poss the activities should be beneficial to a future application to university/career. I also like mod cons so couldn't do anything without a nice bed - sorry! Thanks for your help!
Do a tefal course and teach english abroad for the year. Good salary and great experience.
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Why, exactly?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
wow you're a prospective lawyer! sporty, musical, talented.... you seem to have it all! what have you done in your gap so far besides training with Orrel/Southampton?
Lol I doubt I've trained with Southampton, they aint to hot at rugby. I train with Northampton. I'm contracted to Orrell but probably wont play for them again because I'm going to uni, but I did play for the 2nds all of last year. There is certainly one thing off the top off my head which I aint good at...MATHS!

I went to Australia with my girlfriend. Obviously me to watch the world cup and her to er shop really. Although she did come to the semi final and final, she seemed to enjoy it...almost.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads