Coasting in the test Watch

This discussion is closed.
the_face
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Just wondering, if u coast in the practical test wot sort of offence is it? would it be a major if u coasted round a corner or just a minor? Also ya know when u bring the clutch up too quick n the car jerks a bit can you get marked down for that, for bad control or sumthin?
Cheers
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think coasting would be a major, as you really shouldn't do it!
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My instructor said I've got into that bad habit and should get out of it quick as you can be failed on coasting xoxo
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What is it with coasting, why can't you do it?
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Holding the clutch down, and being out of gear. Dangerous because apparently your out of control

I sometimes put the clutch down too early coming up to junctions, but, other than car parks, I can't see why you'd need to do it around a corner
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by OMGWTF)
Holding the clutch down, and being out of gear. Dangerous because apparently your out of control
:rolleyes: Well, I don't hold the clutch down, I keep it in neutral with no foot on the clutch. I suppose that's worse then, huh? :rolleyes: I don't see how this "loss in control" could be a problem. If you're slowing down to stop or turn, why would you need to suddenly need to accelerate in an emergency? I don't coast around corners because I do see why you may need to suddenly accelerate, ie if a lorry hasn't stopped at a junction and you're already out in front of him, then yes you would need to be in gear. But I leave it in neutral and coast until I'm just about to turn, then put it in 2nd. If I know I'm going to come to a complete stop, I leave it in neutral until I need to start moving again.

I don't really recommend this to learners since you'll probably fail your test, but this is what I do PERSONALLY.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're not in full control, not only because you couldn't accelerate if required but most importantly, you don't have the engine braking effect of the engine...
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When you're in a low gear it acts as a break, imagine you're going down the hill and you're in 2nd gear, the wheels have got to through the driveshaft to move, and this slows it down.

If you have your clutch down the wheels are disconnected from the gearbox and your car is free to roll as gravity wishes. This why coasting is so dangerous and its why you're out of control.
l1ncs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I always used to coast or cruise in neutral to save petrol. i cant see how coasting would be a major in your test, but i suppose it depends on the situation.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't close my eyes and take a nap whilst coasting, so I doubt I've lost that much control. Besides, I keep my foot resting on the brake pedal, how else do you suppose I am to stop? Flintstones style :cool:? I understand fully the idea of engine-braking, I just don't always agree with it.

The whole engine-braking debate has already gone on before, don't really want to get into it again.

What about automatics? They don't slow down the car when you're not accelerating, you have to actually use the brake pedal. The transmission doesn't slow you down in that case, unless you're slowing down from about 60-80mph. Other wise, the transmission automaticall shifts to a higher gear.
recneps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I usually coast to a halt at traffic lights etc, and my instructor would get really annoyed about it when i was learning. Don't tend to coast around corners etc - use engine braking instead.
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
I don't close my eyes and take a nap whilst coasting, so I doubt I've lost that much control. Besides, I keep my foot resting on the brake pedal, how else do you suppose I am to stop? Flintstones style :cool:? I understand fully the idea of engine-braking, I just don't always agree with it.

The whole engine-braking debate has already gone on before, don't really want to get into it again.

What about automatics? They don't slow down the car when you're not accelerating, you have to actually use the brake pedal. The transmission doesn't slow you down in that case, unless you're slowing down from about 60-80mph. Other wise, the transmission automaticall shifts to a higher gear.
engine braking is nonsense in this argument. you shouldnt coast around corners because it takes away your ability to accelerate (which is probably a larger degree of control than you would imagine)

while it is unlikely that youll need to accelerate, it can still happen. so, you remain in control of an automatic, because you retain the ability to accelerate.

its quite simple, really.
Dimez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've got a question:

Whenever I'm about to turn into a junction, I intially slow down (obviously) then I change into gear 2 just before I turn, and when I take my foot of the clutch the car somewhat jerks evn though the speed at which I'm driving is about 10-15mph. Can't I not change into gear 2 and coast around the corner then release the clutch, or how can I rectify this problem of mine?

Thanks
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dimez)
I've got a question:

Whenever I'm about to turn into a junction, I intially slow down (obviously) then I change into gear 2 just before I turn, and when I take my foot of the clutch the car somewhat jerks evn though the speed at which I'm driving is about 10-15mph. Can't I not change into gear 2 and coast around the corner then release the clutch, or how can I rectify this problem of mine?

Thanks
Match the engine revs with the speed your travelling. For example, if you know that at 10-15mph your engine speed is about 2000rpm in 2nd gear, then blip the throttle to about 2000rpm's before you let go of the clutch. Your car will not jerk then, it should slide into gear smoothly once you get the hang of it.

Also;
I don't coast around corners because I do see why you may need to suddenly accelerate, ie if a lorry hasn't stopped at a junction and you're already out in front of him, [/b]then yes you would need to be in gear.[/b] But I leave it in neutral and coast until I'm just about to turn, then put it in 2nd. If I know I'm going to come to a complete stop, I leave it in neutral until I need to start moving again.
I wasn't talking about engine-braking with regards to turning. In all cases that I choose to coast, there just isn't any reason that I HAVE to quickly accelerate. If I'm at the top of a hill, and decide that I would like to put it in neutral and coast to the bottom (not a really steep hill so I don't need to engine-brake), why would I need to speed up in an emergency?

One possible scenario, I speeding idiot comes flying behind me and I think he's going to hit me. So maybe I should quickly speed up to get out of his way. Oh wait a minute, I only drive a diesel Golf, not an Enzo so I doubt I'll be able to get from 40 to 80 in 2 seconds. And what am I going to do if I'm able to match his speed; carry on at 80mph all the way down the hill? No.

Another scenario, There's a red traffic light that I'm coasting towards. There might be two instances where I might need to accelerate quickly.
1) Same reason as scenario 1 from above and we already know how that would turn out, especially at an intersection. Or...
2) The light suddenly turns green. Well, why would I need to accelerate so quickly through the green light in the first few seconds, there might be other cars still crossing illegally. Don't want that.

I genuinely can't think of a reason why I'd need the extra 1.0 seconds it takes me to put it into gear from neutral (or even the extra 0.5 seconds it takes to lift your foot off the friggin' clutch if you're already in gear?!). If anyone can give me a valid scenario, I might reconsider my driving style.

The reason I asked about autos is not because of being able to accelerate quickly, since I don't always agree with that and I already know that you do need to do so around corners. But that they aren't much use for engine-braking which is another argument for the topic against engine braking.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wasn't talking about engine-braking with regards to turning. In all cases that I choose to coast, there just isn't any reason that I HAVE to quickly accelerate. If I'm at the top of a hill, and decide that I would like to put it in neutral and coast to the bottom (not a really steep hill so I don't need to engine-brake), why would I need to speed up in an emergency?
But you will still take longer to stop! I've put my clutch down too early on a perfectly flat road coming up to traffic lights and haven't stopped in time even though I would've done if I'd put my clutch down later.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A car handles as it should under power, not without power, that's why you don't brake around the corners (and don't coast). Also, the feedback you get back from the ground is more obvious with your clutch engaged. It's much easier to lock a wheel (if you do end up braking during the corner) without power than it is with power. Understeer is also more likely. As said above a few times, engine braking is also important, especially if during a quick corner on a slope, you might end up letting the speed build up without knowing. In addition to this, after the corner you will need to engage gear anyway so it slows down the motion of the car and loses the smoothness of the progression of the car.
daniel_williams
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
there are 2 types of coasting using one of which is allowed in teh test, the other which is classed as a serious fault. when stopping the car lets say for example you are in 4th gear, you are allowed to break until the car starts to feel a bit juddery then you can oast the rest of the way whilst braking, but any other time you hold your foot down on the clutch and have the car rolling in neutral is a serious mark. as people have said coasting round corners is really bad, as you need to be able to accelerate once you have gone round that corner, and the problem with coasting is you don't have ny form of controll on the speed of the car, if you were to coast round a corner then you could speed up then when you take you foot off the clutch the car will judder and slow down as is that when you change down a gear too early it will cause the car to jerk. so do not do it in a test, only use the permissible coasting which is used when slowing down to a stop.
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i got 3 minors for clutch control due to coasting very slightly on my test, it was putting foot on clutch before brake, just a bad habit, so i only coasted for about half a second each time.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
But you will still take longer to stop! I've put my clutch down too early on a perfectly flat road coming up to traffic lights and haven't stopped in time even though I would've done if I'd put my clutch down later.
I honestly don't know how you managed that one. One should be aware of how much braking pressure they'll need in order to come to a complete stop in time.

And as far as what pghstochaj and daniel_williams have posted, I completely agree with you. One should never coast around corners; and I don't think anyone is saying they should.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I honestly don't know how you managed that one. One should be aware of how much braking pressure they'll need in order to come to a complete stop in time.

And as far as what pghstochaj and daniel_williams have posted, I completely agree with you. One should never coast around corners; and I don't think anyone is saying they should.
Yes, and I'm saying I was aware and applying the right pressure, but because I put the clutch down too early by accident it then wasn't enough.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads