How many girls do physics? Watch

This discussion is closed.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
Thanks for the thread, that´s one of the things that is bothering me the most!!!
Well, I mean in uni there is no problem. Actually, there is less distraction during work...

I think the fem-phys figures are so little cause there is this old prejudice that girls can´t really do well at physics. It was proven that girls do better in physics in single sex schools, interesting,isn´t it?

Yeah girls that do physics seem to do really well. About 70% I think of girls in my school got As in Alevel physics, and all the rest Bs last year - I think that's right. It helps that it's a great physics department.

And one girl 2 years ago got 2nd place in N.I. with 599/600. First place was also a girl, and I'm not sure but think 3rd was too.
Camford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
Why do so few boys do biology?
Biology + Chemisty --> Degree in Medicine ---> waste of good brains. No [talented] boys want to waste their brains.
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I understand most things but I can't get my brain around physics, it's too difficult. I think girls brains aren't suited to physics for some reason.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I understand most things but I can't get my brain around physics, it's too difficult. I think girls brains aren't suited to physics for some reason.

That's quite a generalisation. Some girls are brilliant at physics. Although it's true it could be a difference between typically male and typically female brains. Men are supposed to be more systematic and women empathic, although exceptions are quite common.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are about 20 girls doing in 1st year Physics at Bham (out of 120 students or so).
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I do IB physics SL, does that count?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are quite a few girls doing IB physics in my school plus a girl who graduated last year is now doing Physics at Madeglan, Oxford while another is doing NatSci (Physical) at Cambridge. The best physicists in my school actually have a tendency to be female but yes hmmmm.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
That would probably just steal maths and engineering students, which also have shortages.
ah, well, you can't blame the IoP, they don't care about maths and engineering students :rolleyes:
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm gonna do physics A Level and I'm a girl, hope I'm not the only one at my school, or maybe not...
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I think you´re just proving my point!!! I truly believe the major reason for your problems is that you EXPECT them and you compare yourself to others! There are many boys with the same difficulties, I had some too during my advanced course in high school, the way is to break through the wall with patience. Once you got one thing the others follow like a chain reaction, can´t really explain it... but I guess you won´t bother thinking about physics any more, or what are planning to study?
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A gil i know is goin to study physics at oxford
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
A gil i know is goin to study physics at oxford
Same here.
And I know one doing engineering at Cambridge.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Acually, i know another off to nottingham to do mathematical physics
Pegasus
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Biology + Chemisty --> Degree in Medicine ---> waste of good brains. No [talented] boys want to waste their brains.
I hardly think you can call medicine a waste of brains... :rolleyes:

I would do A-level physics but I don't want to do a mechanics module in maths, and I hear that physics can be quite hard without this module.
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
I hardly think you can call medicine a waste of brains... :rolleyes:

I would do A-level physics but I don't want to do a mechanics module in maths, and I hear that physics can be quite hard without this module.
but mechanics is so much fun!!!
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
but mechanics is so much fun!!!
Nah physics isnt difficult without doing the mechanics module of A-level maths. It helps with the first mechanics topic at uni, but then again, they cover everything you've learnt in a few weeks...so it doesnt really make much difference
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In our Physics AS class we have 4 girls and 5 boys, but one of the girls may drop it when we get the module one results back.

We have just started a mechanics topic in maths, and it is simply unit one of Physics, only with more technical terms and less logic or reason. It is about as interesting as the other topic we are doing at the moment, Statistics 1!
Ryoku
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
this girl at my school is doing EXACTLY the same a levels as i am, chem, bio, phy, and last year, math. Despite doing both math and physics, she flunked machanics, but did ok in phy, i got the highest mark in physics and machanics (not sure bout in machanics), but then again, im pretty good at transfering knowledge in one area into another
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did physics A2 level and also did an advanced physics module as part of my first year at degree level where there were 3 girls and 8 boys(although admittedly i didn't do that well!).
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There's about 5 out of 60 or so in my first year physics group at King's. Doesn't really matter to me - the hot medicine and law students make up for that.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1525)
79.26%
Leave (399)
20.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed