This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
As most of you know I am off in September/October to become a journalism student and I have been thinking and looking for a time for something to do because I'm not finding my extra year in college very challenging and I don't think I am putting a lot of effort into actually doing something to aid me.
I've been pondering for a time about writing for some sort of website, unfortunatley I can't seem to find one that a)Needs any writers or b)Makes any sense.
I was considering starting up my own site with like music reviews, fashion, general interest subjects as well as issues that affect students such as housing, top-up fees etc. (nothing like Loftx's site which is to do with the actual process of applying and starting at University)
The thing is the manpower and technical things are a huge thing to take on and although I have a lot of spare time (I am sad, I know) I was just wondering has anybody got any suggestions or ideas or even wants to volunteer to aid such a project. If you do I'd be most appreciative, it's time I made this "Constructive Gap Year" constructive!
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sounds like fun! I can help if you need it. Writing, coding, making graphics, whatever.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i don't know about you, but sometime in December I realised that I was running v short of cash, and that I'd be spending alot of money at uni... esp in London where I'm headed. so i've gone and found myself a job, with the idea of saving money... i also have a couple of other projects on in my spare time, eg getting to G5 standard piano, but i'm thinking alot about saving up. Will your website thing get you any money? best to run that on the side, and focus on work exp/money first imo. unless you're rich and have already saved up
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frances)
Sounds like fun! I can help if you need it. Writing, coding, making graphics, whatever.
That's fantastic, especially graphics, I only have paint!
I was thinking, I've been looking around and maybe if we can like get sponsors or affliates we might even be able to get a bit of revenue as well if it's even slightly successful
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
although doing a website seems a pretty good idea - you will learn quite alot of skills... do it by all means, don't let me discourage you.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I was thinking, I've been looking around and maybe if we can like get sponsors or affliates we might even be able to get a bit of revenue as well if it's even slightly successful
here we go
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Mak...dforsite.shtml
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4Ed)
although doing a website seems a pretty good idea - you will learn quite alot of skills... do it by all means, don't let me discourage you.
Ahh see I already have a pretty spiffy job (£7) and I have terrible insomnia as well and often skive college but still get A's in subjects I don't even need for University! Plus if we can get this affliates thing if we have a website we might even get a bit of extra cash!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
heres some info about money making dont know how useful it will be though
http://www.sean.co.uk/books/sbwtw/06advertising.shtm
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have Paint Shop Pro, it's not exactly photoshop, but it's the next best thing. I'm quite into websites, see http://www.fallen-grace.org if you want some examples.

As for making money, you could try stuff like amazon affiliates and those google text ads... they seem relativly simple, and I've seen loads of people use them.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
That is one good website, lol the best I ever did was a nice geocities jobby! I even did work experience at Page3.com Revolver.com and Firedup.com (they gave me free matches but my mum took them away, I was only 14) and had my website featured in a magazine, and yet I'm useless with html I can't even get my emote thing to show up properly on my webjournal!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That is one good website, lol the best I ever did was a nice geocities jobby! I even did work experience at Page3.com Revolver.com and Firedup.com (they gave me free matches but my mum took them away, I was only 14) and had my website featured in a magazine, and yet I'm useless with html I can't even get my emote thing to show up properly on my webjournal!
I stumbled across your personal statement on loftx's website dani, I don't think I'd have mentioned page3.com on a ucas form!

Anyways...I don't recommend starting up your own site to write stuff - just because writing for a recognised name by bode better, and you'll get a much larger audience. I set up Blue Comet Music where I now do track by track CD reviews.

I'd definitely recommend your local BBC website eg bbc.co.uk/southampton... most have a "Become a Reviewer" thing set up for music, clubs and stage reviews. Otherwise there's tons of sites out there that would value journalistic talent (without payment)...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (327)
34.6%
No (618)
65.4%

Watched Threads