Applying to Oxford, and other UK Universities (from Canada)

Watch
rockinrobin337
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi there!
I will be applying for University next year (currently in Grade 11) and I was just exploring different options for university. As well as Canadian Universities, I was interested in ones abroad, more specifically in the United Kingdom (to study Business/Economics)

I've been trying to do some research online, but I wanted to see if anyone had an experience or knew anything about applying to the UK as a Canadian student.

On the Oxford website it lists it's requirement for Canadian students as: At least 85% in OSSDs from Ontario, or equivalent grades from other provinces. But this is all the information that's given and I'm sure there is much more too it (considering 85% is not difficult to achieve).

I was wondering if you needed to take SATs, APs, etc. for the UK as it says American students need to, or if those aren't necessary if you're applying from Canada.

Also, I was told by a friend that if you have a EU Passport you are able to attend university for free in EU countries. I was wondering if this applied to all schools, or if there were restrictions?

Any other information/advice you have would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
radmuffin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rockinrobin337)
Hi there!
I will be applying for University next year (currently in Grade 11) and I was just exploring different options for university. As well as Canadian Universities, I was interested in ones abroad, more specifically in the United Kingdom (to study Business/Economics)

I've been trying to do some research online, but I wanted to see if anyone had an experience or knew anything about applying to the UK as a Canadian student.

On the Oxford website it lists it's requirement for Canadian students as: At least 85% in OSSDs from Ontario, or equivalent grades from other provinces. But this is all the information that's given and I'm sure there is much more too it (considering 85% is not difficult to achieve).

I was wondering if you needed to take SATs, APs, etc. for the UK as it says American students need to, or if those aren't necessary if you're applying from Canada.

Also, I was told by a friend that if you have a EU Passport you are able to attend university for free in EU countries. I was wondering if this applied to all schools, or if there were restrictions?

Thank you!
Free?!

And basically, the more the better. I know little about the examinations you're going to take in Canada, but to put it simply: aim for the highest marks possible; do the most you can, academically (e.g. if you can take AP classes, take them) ~ Trust me, no-one settles for minimum requirements, especially internationals :P: This is just regarding your more prestigious universities: Oxford, LSE, UCL (Economics). Otherwise, you'll probably get in without all the hassle, although I'm not too sure. The three universities I previously stated will be the most competitive Economics courses in the UK.
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
..I wanted to see if anyone had an experience or knew anything about applying to the UK as a Canadian student.
TSR member 'bridgeinbrooklyn' was a successful Canadian applicant to Oxford this time round, maybe try a nice polite PM request to her? Best Wishes
Bellrosk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Where the hell did you hear you could get free education with a EU passport?
rockinrobin337
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bellrosk)
Where the hell did you hear you could get free education with a EU passport?
I had the same response when my friend told me that :P
definado
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had the same response when my friend told me that :P
It's a complete fabrication.
wordsmith19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi there!

Thank you!
Hey! I'm a student from Montreal, Quebec. I recently received an offer from Oxford in History.
I did however have the benefit of being in my second year of CEGEP (the equivalent of grade 13/1st year of College) when I applied.
It was a lengthy and at times stressful process, but I'm excited for university. I can share the experience, if you'd like.
When I applied, I had just taken the SATs. I received the results and sent them to Oxford shortly before I was notified that I had received an interview. I don't believe they're strictly necessary for Canadian students, but I would recommend you take them as they are an internationally recognized academic standard test. Coming from Quebec, which has a unique educational system distinct from both the UK and the rest of Canada, they were a good reinforcement of the predictions established by my teacher in my UCAS letter. I would recommend that you request support from a teacher who has had some experience with the British system and can explain the equivalencies of the Canadian grades.
I'm afraid I don't know about the EU passport- regrettably, financial aid and scholarship options for Canadian and American students seem to be limited. However, if you are considering Oxbridge, there is an excellent scholarship for Cambridge called the Blyth Cambridge Scholarship that I recommend you look into.
Any more questions? Let me know. And good luck!
hobnob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your friend got a bit confused.

What he was probably referring to is that if you have been resident within the EU for at least three years prior to your application (unless you just went to some kind of boarding school, which doesn't count), you're entitled to pay fees at the same rate as home students. In some countries that does mean attending university for free, but the UK certainly isn't one of them!
So not an option for you, I'm afraid. Even if you do have an EU passport.
-raisa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey!

I'm not going to be of much help, but I'd just like to say that I'm a Canadian in grade 11 as well & I'm going to be applying for uni in the UK this year

I'm not sure exactly what I want to study yet - ESPS at UCL for sure, and possibly MML at Cambridge or PPE at Oxford - still uncertain yet!

I'm not exactly sure about the marks thing, but I definitely would aim for much higher than 85% average. I'm in the IB program, and IB offers are typically 40-ish points with 7's in HL subjects. 7's are equivalent to 96%+ in the Ontario curriculum, so unless they're just really lenient with Ontario students, definitely aim for higher!

If I were you, I'd also take the SAT. As wordsmith19 said, they're an internationally recognized qualification, which is especially beneficial if you're not taking AP's or the IB programme.

I hope I helped somewhat xD
rockinrobin337
Rep:
?
(Original post by wordsmith19)
Hey! I'm a student from Montreal, Quebec. I recently received an offer from Oxford in History.
I did however have the benefit of being in my second year of CEGEP (the equivalent of grade 13/1st year of College) when I applied.
It was a lengthy and at times stressful process, but I'm excited for university. I can share the experience, if you'd like.
When I applied, I had just taken the SATs. I received the results and sent them to Oxford shortly before I was notified that I had received an interview. I don't believe they're strictly necessary for Canadian students, but I would recommend you take them as they are an internationally recognized academic standard test. Coming from Quebec, which has a unique educational system distinct from both the UK and the rest of Canada, they were a good reinforcement of the predictions established by my teacher in my UCAS letter. I would recommend that you request support from a teacher who has had some experience with the British system and can explain the equivalencies of the Canadian grades.
I'm afraid I don't know about the EU passport- regrettably, financial aid and scholarship options for Canadian and American students seem to be limited. However, if you are considering Oxbridge, there is an excellent scholarship for Cambridge called the Blyth Cambridge Scholarship that I recommend you look into.
Any more questions? Let me know. And good luck!
Congrats for being accepted!
Thanks for the advice! I was a bit unsure about taking the SATs because I read that Cambridge aren't interested in the SAT scores, but on the other hand it is a requirement for American students. But seeing as it is internationally recognized, I might look into taking it.
I'm definitely going to speak to our 'Dean of Academics' who assists us with all our applications to get a better idea of what is required!

(Original post by -raisa)
hey!

I'm not going to be of much help, but I'd just like to say that I'm a Canadian in grade 11 as well & I'm going to be applying for uni in the UK this year

I'm not sure exactly what I want to study yet - ESPS at UCL for sure, and possibly MML at Cambridge or PPE at Oxford - still uncertain yet!

I'm not exactly sure about the marks thing, but I definitely would aim for much higher than 85% average. I'm in the IB program, and IB offers are typically 40-ish points with 7's in HL subjects. 7's are equivalent to 96%+ in the Ontario curriculum, so unless they're just really lenient with Ontario students, definitely aim for higher!

If I were you, I'd also take the SAT. As wordsmith19 said, they're an internationally recognized qualification, which is especially beneficial if you're not taking AP's or the IB programme.

I hope I helped somewhat xD
Looks like we'll be applying to the same places at the same time!

Unfortunately, our school doesn't offer IB, but there are several AP courses offered. I am taking one this year (AP Language), but hadn't taken the other ones because up until recently I wanted to apply to Canadian universities only (and they don't recognize AP courses).
I am deciding whether or not to take AP Macro or Microeconomics online next year (as I want to go into Economics, and the AP is not offered at our school), and also the AP Calculus and AP Literature (at our school). There aren't many other APs I would be able to take seeing as most are not offered at our school and I am not interested in the rest that are (ex. Sciences).

So if I would aim for 90+ in all my regular subjects in Grade 12, and take a few APs related to the subject I want to study (Economics), and possibly take the SAT.. would I have a better chance at an interview than if I would just aim for high marks in regular Ontario credits?

Finally, would you choose to apply to Cambridge or Oxford? I'm unsure as to which one I should choose! Which one would you say (if any) a Canadian student (like myself, haha) would have a better chance of getting into?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions! :P
synvilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, actually there's *a lot* of countries in the EU without/very low tuitions for EU students.

EU-countries with free education for everyone:
Sweden (about 10 000 euro a year for non-EU)
Norway
Finland
Czech Republic (English-spoken education cost money)
France (free public universities, the private ones cost money)
Germany (some states)
Luxembourg (100 euro per semester for everyone)
Poland (Public universities. English costs money)
Denmark (non-EU pay about 15 000 euro a year)
Ireand (American prices for non-EU)
Cyprus

Cheap tuitions for EU:
Austria (300 euro / semester)
Estonia
UK (Scotland is free for EU)

EU-countries with same fees for everyone:
Belgium (500-800 euro/semester)
Greece (every university set their own fee)
Italy (750 eur/semester and up)
Latvia (same fees for natives and others)
Lithuania (very cheap)
Netherlands (1500 eur/year)
Portugal (500 eur/year for public universities)
Spain
Switzerland
Luceria
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by synvilla)
Well, actually there's *a lot* of countries in the EU without/very low tuitions for EU students.

EU-countries with free education for everyone:
Sweden (about 10 000 euro a year for non-EU)
Norway
Finland
Czech Republic (English-spoken education cost money)
France (free public universities, the private ones cost money)
Germany (some states)
Luxembourg (100 euro per semester for everyone)
Poland (Public universities. English costs money)
Denmark (non-EU pay about 15 000 euro a year)
Ireand (American prices for non-EU)
Cyprus

Cheap tuitions for EU:
Austria (300 euro / semester)
Estonia
UK (Scotland is free for EU)

EU-countries with same fees for everyone:
Belgium (500-800 euro/semester)
Greece (every university set their own fee)
Italy (750 eur/semester and up)
Latvia (same fees for natives and others)
Lithuania (very cheap)
Netherlands (1500 eur/year)
Portugal (500 eur/year for public universities)
Spain
Switzerland
Norway and Switzerland are not members of the EU. But yes, foreign students don't have to pay in Norway (unless it's private, of course)
abvin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi there!

Thank you!
Hello!
I am a Canadian, applied to uni in the UK and now just waiting for responses
If you have any more questions - feel free to message me, it's a surprisingly tricky process if you don't have someone to guide you through (and my school's guidance knew nothing about UCAS!).

Personally, I took the SATs and didn't even end up applying to the states. SATs are not requires for canadian students yet they are recognized all over the world and are very good to show (if you do well, that is). I'm hoping my SATs give me an advantage, actually, as my scores were above what is required for US students. So I personally would recommend taking them - they can't hurt you! If you don't do well don't submit

Aim for above 85, obviously. From my experience with friends/research you will most likely be given a conditional offer then asked to maintain an 85 average, so it's best to start high so if you drop by the end of the school year your offer will still stand

As for researching universities...I really think the only way to know is to visit, but since that isn't always possible do as much research as you can in order to decide on your choices.

This is around the time last year when I fell in love with the UK and the idea of studying abroad...and now I can't even consider studying in Canada! So good luck with your research and feel free to ask me any more questions if needed.
synvilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Luceria)
Norway and Switzerland are not members of the EU. But yes, foreign students don't have to pay in Norway (unless it's private, of course)
I wrote that while simultaneously translating it to English. I hardly think it's relevant if they're members of EU, what's relevant is the fees. I'm sure people can find the countries on a map either way.
Luceria
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by synvilla)
I wrote that while simultaneously translating it to English. I hardly think it's relevant if they're members of EU, what's relevant is the fees. I'm sure people can find the countries on a map either way.
Oh, right. That's understandable. But I still think it's relevant not to pass of Non-EU countries as EU countries. It does matter. Norway is an EEA member and just desperate for students really, so it's free. But the situation must be different in Switzerland.
zakihabibi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hello, i was just wondering if its obligatory to attend cegep befor applying to oxford. I live in Qc
zakihabibi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hello, i was just wondering if its obligatory to attend cegep befor applying to oxford. I live in Qc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads