Please Help! - Canadian student applying through UCAS Watch

Zamira123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey Everyone!

I am currently a grade 11 (equivalent to 12 in UK) student living and studying in Ontario, Canada. I'm planning to pursue higher education in UK after high school, but I'm very confused with the whole UCAS process. Please leave your suggestions! Thanks in advance!

So, here's a list of questions:

- "Transcripts"
Apart from filling out UCAS application, do I have to actually send in my high school transcripts?

- "Other Grades"
I'm aware that UCAS makes it obligatory for UK students to submit ALL their grades since they were eleven. Is it the same case here? In Ontario, high school starts at fourteen years of age (Grade 9), so do I have to submit all my marks from that period of time? Even if they're not that good? See, here in Ontario, we only provide grade 12 marks to local universities and colleges.

- "Reference"
Now about the referee... On UCAS website, it says that the teacher or mentor should know me very well... Well, my current business teacher knows me for over a year. Is that okay? Here in Ontario, it's almost impossible to get a teacher who knows you for three years or so, since all our teachers change every single year.

- "Predicted Grades"
I'm also aware that my teachers should predict grades for me. Should they mention those grades in the 'reference' section, or should it be written in the 'education' section? And if it is in the 'education' section, where exactly? I also know that applications can be sent to UCAS from mid-September. So, that way I'm going to send mine at the very start of my last year at high school, which means I won't have any mark for any of my grade 12 courses and brand new teachers. Does that mean that I'll have to ask my last year teachers to fill in the 'predicted grades' section for me?

Okay, that's pretty it!
Wasn't a lot, was it?
Qi Jia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Zamira123)
Hey Everyone!

I am currently a grade 11 (equivalent to 12 in UK) student living and studying in Ontario, Canada. I'm planning to pursue higher education in UK after high school, but I'm very confused with the whole UCAS process. Please leave your suggestions! Thanks in advance!

- "Transcripts"
Apart from filling out UCAS application, do I have to actually send in my high school transcripts?

- "Other Grades"
I'm aware that UCAS makes it obligatory for UK students to submit ALL their grades since they were eleven. Is it the same case here? In Ontario, high school starts at fourteen years of age (Grade 9), so do I have to submit all my marks from that period of time? Even if they're not that good? See, here in Ontario, we only provide grade 12 marks to local universities and colleges.

- "Reference"
Now about the referee... On UCAS website, it says that the teacher or mentor should know me very well... Well, my current business teacher knows me for over a year. Is that okay? Here in Ontario, it's almost impossible to get a teacher who knows you for three years or so, since all our teachers change every single year.

- "Predicted Grades"
I'm also aware that my teachers should predict grades for me. Should they mention those grades in the 'reference' section, or should it be written in the 'education' section? And if it is in the 'education' section, where exactly? I also know that applications can be sent to UCAS from mid-September. So, that way I'm going to send mine at the very start of my last year at high school, which means I won't have any mark for any of my grade 12 courses and brand new teachers. Does that mean that I'll have to ask my last year teachers to fill in the 'predicted grades' section for me?

Okay, that's pretty it!
Wasn't a lot, was it?
Hi, I actually applied from Malaysia so I don't know if it's the same.

No, I haven't sent in my high school transcripts since I applied 4 months ago, I don't think you'll need to at the time of application.

I only entered my SPM ( O level equivalent grades ), not my high school grades. I also entered my AS results and my predicted A2 results. So I think you should just submit your grade 12 results and your A Level equivalent results. ( is that grade 12?)

1 year would be enough, my referee only knew me for 9 months. But he started the letter with ' although I have only known Qi Jia for less than a year, I feel that I've known him for years...'. So maybe you should try that?

Your teacher's should try to explain why you deserved your predicted grades in your reference and ALSO you should enter the subjects you're taking under qualifications. Just select 'pending'. Its alright if your teacher does not comment about your predicted grades in your reference, mine didn't.

I hope I helped.

Good luck!
Zamira123
Rep:
?

No, I haven't sent in my high school transcripts since I applied 4 months ago, I don't think you'll need to at the time of application.

I only entered my SPM ( O level equivalent grades ), not my high school grades. I also entered my AS results and my predicted A2 results. So I think you should just submit your grade 12 results and your A Level equivalent results. ( is that grade 12?)

1 year would be enough, my referee only knew me for 9 months. But he started the letter with ' although I have only known Qi Jia for less than a year, I feel that I've known him for years...'. So maybe you should try that?

Your teacher's should try to explain why you deserved your predicted grades in your reference and ALSO you should enter the subjects you're taking under qualifications. Just select 'pending'. Its alright if your teacher does not comment about your predicted grades in your reference, mine didn't.

I hope I helped.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot! It's just that I was bothered whether I had to give in all my marks from grade 9 classes or just grade 12))
Qi Jia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks a lot! It's just that I was bothered whether I had to give in all my marks from grade 9 classes or just grade 12))
No problem ! Good luck! DO check out the personal statements in the PS Libarary, and have your PS checked on this site! It helps!
stretch988
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey Everyone!

- "Transcripts"

- "Other Grades"

- "Reference"

- "Predicted Grades"

Okay, that's pretty it!
Wasn't a lot, was it?
Other grades just means GCSE, or your equivalent of our GCSE that we do in year 11, but anything before that doesn't matter, only formal exams like gcse/as level/ a level results

The reference is for your teacher to worry about, at my school our teacher wrote it and sent off without even showing us what it said, would loved to have known :P

Predicted grades again is for the teacher to worry about and you just leave as pending

good luck! xx
mrdoovde1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Qi Jia)

I hope I helped.

Good luck!
****ing hell, you're a genius (looking at your sig). You mind lending me your brain for the exams?
ily_em
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
x
I'll answer the questions I do know the answer to :P

- "Other Grades"
It's grades since year 11 generally, certainly not age 11! Most UK students fill out their GCSEs (taken aged 15/16) and AS levels (16/17)

- "Reference"
That's fine - lots of students here go to college for A level so only know their teachers for a year too. Certainly long enough and very common

- "Predicted Grades"
Predicted grades aren't on the part of the application you see - when your referee does their section they can fill them in there, and maybe in the reference too.
Qi Jia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mrdoovde1)
Fukin hell, you're a genius (looking at your sig). You mind lending me your brain for the exams?
Sure thing bro, I've no need for it tomorrow, Jerry Springer day :ahee:
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I've answered your questions in bold below, as it was the easiest way for me to do it. Hope this helps. Out of curiosity where in Ontario are you from and where are you hoping to apply to/what are you hoping to study? If there is anything else I can help with feel free to get in touch. :-)

- "Transcripts"
Apart from filling out UCAS application, do I have to actually send in my high school transcripts?You fill out the UCAS application in the autumn of grade 12 with everything that is on your transcript to date. (Probably best to get one from your Guidance office and copy it word for word. Universities may wish to contact your school to confirm this/get guidance to fax/mail them a copy to ensure that what you've filled out on the UCAS form matches this, but otherwise you shouldn't need it until you have been given a conditional offer and have met it (and thus the university needs to see proof that you have met your offer).

- "Other Grades"
I'm aware that UCAS makes it obligatory for UK students to submit ALL their grades since they were eleven. Is it the same case here? In Ontario, high school starts at fourteen years of age (Grade 9), so do I have to submit all my marks from that period of time? Even if they're not that good? See, here in Ontario, we only provide grade 12 marks to local universities and colleges.Yes you must include everything on your transcript, however the offer the universities make you will generally be dependant on you receiving x percentage in six grade 12 courses. Make sense?

- "Reference"
Now about the referee... On UCAS website, it says that the teacher or mentor should know me very well... Well, my current business teacher knows me for over a year. Is that okay? Here in Ontario, it's almost impossible to get a teacher who knows you for three years or so, since all our teachers change every single year.Get it from someone whom you trust and can attest for your character and work ethic. I asked my vice-principal for mine, but perhaps only because he had known me since I was 10, and he was a vice principal in my elementary school.

- "Predicted Grades"
I'm also aware that my teachers should predict grades for me. Should they mention those grades in the 'reference' section, or should it be written in the 'education' section? And if it is in the 'education' section, where exactly? I also know that applications can be sent to UCAS from mid-September. So, that way I'm going to send mine at the very start of my last year at high school, which means I won't have any mark for any of my grade 12 courses and brand new teachers. Does that mean that I'll have to ask my last year teachers to fill in the 'predicted grades' section for me?Put it in the section for education-it will specifically state predicted grades, so you must get all your predicted marks and then average them out. If I were you I would wait atleast until you have received your interim report cards, but if that is not possible perhaps explain to your teachers and ask them to predict based on your grade 11 marks. They may (or may not) be willing to do this. I know the poster above me stated that they will be available in the referee's section, but that is only if you school in Canada has x number of students applying that they can register. Otherwise you must do the application on your own and add these bits of information in by yourself.
CharlieTH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey Everyone!

- "Transcripts"

- "Other Grades"

- "Reference"

- "Predicted Grades"

Okay, that's pretty it!
Wasn't a lot, was it?
for your reference, i think it's important to have it done by a teacher, but after that, you could send off another one by somebody else, it'll just improve your chances and i don't think my teacher sent off my grade predictions maybe they did...>.<
nitral
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hello there ! I'm from Toronto and recently went through the UCAS process. I am currently in my 1st year at the University of Manchester in the MPharm program. I was in my 2nd year at Seneca College when applying. I had previously done coursework at UWO but my grades were very poor (I was on probation) so I switched to Seneca. I submitted all my grades on my UCAS application and got accepted to all schools.

What program are u thinking about applying to ?

- "Transcripts"
Apart from filling out UCAS application, do I have to actually send in my high school transcripts? For transcripts, a scanned copy of the originals sent via e-mail was good enough for the universities. All of the universities e-mailed me directly asking me to send them a copy so don't worry about it until then. However, when you apply for the Tier 4 Student Visa, an original transcript of your Ontario Secondary School Diploma must be submitted with your application.

- "Other Grades"
I'm aware that UCAS makes it obligatory for UK students to submit ALL their grades since they were eleven. Is it the same case here? In Ontario, high school starts at fourteen years of age (Grade 9), so do I have to submit all my marks from that period of time? Even if they're not that good? See, here in Ontario, we only provide grade 12 marks to local universities and colleges. This is a tough one for me to answer. I submitted my Grade 12 grades, UWO, and Seneca grades. It is best to contact the individual universities to see what they want.

- "Reference"
Now about the referee... On UCAS website, it says that the teacher or mentor should know me very well... Well, my current business teacher knows me for over a year. Is that okay? Here in Ontario, it's almost impossible to get a teacher who knows you for three years or so, since all our teachers change every single year. I asked a professor that I had only known for 2 years so it should be ok.

- "Predicted Grades"
I'm also aware that my teachers should predict grades for me. Should they mention those grades in the 'reference' section, or should it be written in the 'education' section? And if it is in the 'education' section, where exactly? I also know that applications can be sent to UCAS from mid-September. So, that way I'm going to send mine at the very start of my last year at high school, which means I won't have any mark for any of my grade 12 courses and brand new teachers. Does that mean that I'll have to ask my last year teachers to fill in the 'predicted grades' section for me? This is a tough one. When I applied, my professor did not submit any predicted grades. I know it is hard for us Canadians to submit predicted grades since we change teachers as well as take 6 courses at the same time. Honestly, I think they will look at your Grade 9 to 11 marks. As long as there is a trend of higher marks, it should be ok.

Good Luck in Grade 11 and 12 !

Feel free to contact me with any other questions !
abvin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey Everyone!

- "Transcripts"

- "Other Grades"

- "Reference"

- "Predicted Grades"

Okay, that's pretty it!
Wasn't a lot, was it?
I'm also from Ontario, applied this year via UCAS.

I put in all my courses from grade 10-12 only (my grade 9 courses are split between two schools so I just didn't include them - this is fine), with results or "pending" results under the Secondary School Diploma qualification. I also included my high school and middle school and didn't have to put in any middle school courses since I didn't receive my OSSD there obviously.

And my referee I met in September 2010 and she wrote me a glowing reference in December 2010. So don't worry - just choose a teacher who will speak well of you!

And predicted grades - I didn't include them as I had to apply as an individual (my school isn't in the UCAS system), so I am sending my February report card out to the universities to substitute.

hope that helps!
Zamira123
Rep:
?
Thanks Everybody! You really helped me!
AbdulC
Report 8 years ago
Can someone help me, how do you start a thread ?
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for all the info here. I know I'm responding quite late, but this was of great help to me and I wanted to acknowledge it. Are any of the posters here still available for queries?

Namely how many subjects to include. One person said just the 6 from year 12 would suffice, another said 11 and 12, and yet another said 10-12... I would personally prefer to do it as all year 12, or year 11 and 6 grade 12, or at worst both 11 and 12.

Should this pose a problem? Would it be better to post more grades, or to post only the best as per how the Ontario universities would like it, seeing as it would serve the best impression?

Thanks.
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by punctuation)
Thanks for all the info here. I know I'm responding quite late, but this was of great help to me and I wanted to acknowledge it. Are any of the posters here still available for queries?

Namely how many subjects to include. One person said just the 6 from year 12 would suffice, another said 11 and 12, and yet another said 10-12... I would personally prefer to do it as all year 12, or year 11 and 6 grade 12, or at worst both 11 and 12.

Should this pose a problem? Would it be better to post more grades, or to post only the best as per how the Ontario universities would like it, seeing as it would serve the best impression?

Thanks.
I included all my high school courses (grades 9-12) because they require you to send your transcript and I wanted them to see that my marks were consistent right through high school.
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KirstyK)
I included all my high school courses (grades 9-12) because they require you to send your transcript and I wanted them to see that my marks were consistent right through high school.
I see. My Grade 10 marks weren't that consistent... would it be okay if I just submitted Grade 11 and then predicted for 12?

Are you in uni now? Or are you going this fall?
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I see. My Grade 10 marks weren't that consistent... would it be okay if I just submitted Grade 11 and then predicted for 12?

Are you in uni now? Or are you going this fall?
Completely your decision

I've finished two years in England and will be commencing a year abroad in August.
punctuation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KirstyK)
Completely your decision

I've finished two years in England and will be commencing a year abroad in August.
You mentioned that it's required to send in your transcript. To my knowledge, this isn't the case. Where are you supposed to submit it/how? Thanks.
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You mentioned that it's required to send in your transcript. To my knowledge, this isn't the case. Where are you supposed to submit it/how? Thanks.
When you receive offers of acceptance from universities they will either be a) unconditional or b) conditional (on you achieving x average). At which point you send in a transcript to prove you have achieved requisite average.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (164)
19.32%
Labour (431)
50.77%
Liberal Democrats (114)
13.43%
Green Party (48)
5.65%
Brexit Party (12)
1.41%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.47%
SNP (15)
1.77%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.71%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)